Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
W96 LED Light
  • Main difference if you compare with Z96 is remaining charge indicator, and lower price :-)

Price: $55.50 with shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Z96-upgrade-96led-Light-CANON-NIKON-SONY-Camcorder-/320726656352

4PC pack

Price: $250 with shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/4PCS-Z96-upgrade-96LED-Light-SONY-JVC-NIKON-CANON-/320726758758

• 35 Replies sorted by
  • it's not the real z96, only from other company. Not same qulity as z96.

• damn. the first time I take a flier on something before it gets a proper review, and this happens :(

i hope he is reasonable about refunds - a Z96 upgrade it certainly doesn't seem to be
  • Video review with comparison to Z96. Not same quality as previous.
  • Just received my 2 W96 LEDs... Everything good so far, but haven't actually powered them up :p

Will report back if any issues. Unfortunately, I don't have any Z96s, so can't offer a direct comparison.
  • In addition to my main stands I have found mic stands and boom arms are great for aiming portable led lights.
  • Excellent. Just tried it with my el cheapo 64-led light and it works really well. I never thought of mixing led and tungsten lights (because of matching the colour) but particularly for backlighting you'd probably want to put a bit of gel on it anyway (I'm a sucker for light magenta as a backlight colour with a bluish wash on the wall behind). For wall wash I use cfl worklights with gel and cinefoil wrap and that works well if you're careful!

Thanks again for the fantastic idea.
  • Yes, as backlight. My 1000 LED lights are too heavy to put safely on a C stand gobo arm. I suspect the W96 LED will be ideal for interview type setups, no cord either if run on one of my many Sony NPF970's from old cameras... Can't wait to get this $40 wonder! Okay, $56... :)
  • @shrigg By "hairlight" do you mean as a backlight for hair? If so that's a great idea, as conventional backlights are tricky to mount safely without working hard to avoid stands and leads getting in shot. As well as this I can imagine it would work well mixed in with more conventional lighting on stands. Going to try it. Thx for the inspiration!
  • I ordered and paid one ($40.50 plus $16.00 shipping) from tony19825 on the 21st. Still says "Tracking information is not available yet for this shipment. Please check back later to view updated information." Should be a great hairlight.
  • I never worry about scam in ebay. ebay is very friendly to buyers who use paypal. Wait until 8/9. Then contact the seller. If no response in a week, you can claim the incident.
  • @tinbeo
    Processed Through Sort Facility, Aug-01-11, 14:32 PM, SHENZHEN
    indicates that something had been sent.
    Wait for seller go out of the vacation and ask him.
  • I was on "this deal". First email received said :
    Paid on Jul-20-11
    Shipped on Jul-21-11
    Estimated delivery: July 26 - July 27, 2011
    Just checked to day, clicking a tracking number link show item
    Processed Through Sort Facility, Aug-01-11, 14:32 PM, SHENZHEN
    Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
    Acceptance, Aug-01-11, 10:03 AM.

Asked ebay and received short message tony19825 is out of the office until 08/09/2011 and may not be able to respond to your message.

Message from tony19825:
    I wil take vacation from 7/24 to 7/30. thanks!

I click to reply but email bring me to address :donotreply@ebay.com

Sound like scam or not?
  • @fatpig
    Or get his refund :-)
  • ...but one could order this now at this price, right? hell just ship it in mid-august no`?
  • @fatpig

It is not cheaper. As all actual listings have it at high prices only.
  • so, just to clarify, this is slightly BETTER than z96, but CHEAPER? :) Price is ridiculously low, if you compare to prices for similar equipment a few years ago... :)
  • I almost bought these last weekend. then seller "tony19825" with $40 price left town til July 29th.
    Checked today and NOW he's gone til August 9th.

:-( not my day.

UPDATE: tony19825 wrote me to say he is VERY busy with ebay and wholesale orders. He WILL be back soon...
  • Something strange happened with this light, as prices jumped from $45 to $120 (without shipping).
    It look like same will happen with this seller, he is just away now.
  • @sfbay_jon

You are comparing different lights.
    W96 is for one applications.
    If you have money and need more light 312 LED ligh is better choice, most probably even adjustable color option as light quality will be better on it.
    Promaster light is different beast, they mostly for studio work or work where you have AC.
  • My wallet can't take much more abuse! And the million options is giving me a headache.

Any input or recommendations about the many, many LED lights:
    - these w96 look good (and the price looks great)
    - 312 LED Dimmable single-color Light (cheaper than 3 W96s)
    - the ProMaster LED Portable Studio Light (see Vitaly's post from May: Cheap and quite powerful LED)
  • @Bueller @stonebat Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll get a W96 for on camera and a couple of china balls to start out with. Great tip, had not seen china balls used before! Certainly a cheap way to start.
  • @Mark_the_Harp - I always use the included white diffuser and taped on a piece of 1/8 minus green to reduce the color cast (the green tint on the Z96 isn't too bad compared to other LED lights in its class), the results have been fine to my eyes. It's a pretty bright light at full power when you're within 6ft of your subject, so dial down the brightness to keep things from blowing out.

I mount my Z96 on a stroboframe flash bracket positioned a few inches above the lens, so this probably helps too.
  • @jules You'd need at least two or three light sources.