Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
W96 LED Light
  • 35 Replies sorted by
  • @shrigg By "hairlight" do you mean as a backlight for hair? If so that's a great idea, as conventional backlights are tricky to mount safely without working hard to avoid stands and leads getting in shot. As well as this I can imagine it would work well mixed in with more conventional lighting on stands. Going to try it. Thx for the inspiration!
  • Yes, as backlight. My 1000 LED lights are too heavy to put safely on a C stand gobo arm. I suspect the W96 LED will be ideal for interview type setups, no cord either if run on one of my many Sony NPF970's from old cameras... Can't wait to get this $40 wonder! Okay, $56... :)
  • Excellent. Just tried it with my el cheapo 64-led light and it works really well. I never thought of mixing led and tungsten lights (because of matching the colour) but particularly for backlighting you'd probably want to put a bit of gel on it anyway (I'm a sucker for light magenta as a backlight colour with a bluish wash on the wall behind). For wall wash I use cfl worklights with gel and cinefoil wrap and that works well if you're careful!

Thanks again for the fantastic idea.
  • In addition to my main stands I have found mic stands and boom arms are great for aiming portable led lights.
  • Just received my 2 W96 LEDs... Everything good so far, but haven't actually powered them up :p

Will report back if any issues. Unfortunately, I don't have any Z96s, so can't offer a direct comparison.
  • Video review with comparison to Z96. Not same quality as previous.
  • damn. the first time I take a flier on something before it gets a proper review, and this happens :(

i hope he is reasonable about refunds - a Z96 upgrade it certainly doesn't seem to be
  • it's not the real z96, only from other company. Not same qulity as z96.