Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool 3.61d topic
  • 352 Replies sorted by
  • @arvidtp

What memory card capacity, brand, and speed are you using? I haven't had a single failure even with my Class 6 Eye-FI card which is dog slow. I shot some really high detailed scenes this morning.
  • @mpgxsvcd I'm using a Patriot LX series 32GB class 10 SDHC. Yeah - I'm surprised too. Maybe its just a bad card…

Again, I have only been able to get it to die when shooting a really intense screen pattern - have you tried that? I'm assuming its pretty much the worst case scenario for the codec :)
  • @arvidtp
    I would try the same settings with GOP mod.
  • @arvidtp I have 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards and have had no problems with it at all. I think you might have a bad card. There are those shit frames in the beginning, but I think everyone is having that problem at the moment. If you look back a bit I posted a very intense scene that I filmed involving a plasma plate. The AVG bitrate was pretty high.
  • imho it has nothing to do with the card, otherwise they would be processed in a different mode not 50 mbit.

I tested sandisk extreme pro 45 mb/s and transcend class 10. In 24H and SH everything works fine, but in FSH I got the card speed error at fullscreen grass recording after 2 seconds, also at 18 mbit!

We should not look for the error in the cards, every class 10 Card shouldn´t have any problems with these seetings.

We have to play with the buffer settings.
  • Shooting section of back garden (that always locked up my GH1 25p native) with recommended 42mb settings in ptool.
    24h no fail at all including tripod lockdown...looks stunning.
    1080i speed error
    720p 50 speed error

Transcend 16gb class 10
    Verbatim 16gb class 10

Will try out the 32mb settings...
    EDIT
    No crashes at all with 32mb settings ;-)
  • @APXmusic

and what`s about 1080i? No Problems on very high detailed scenes? Please test a full screen grass shot.
    Maybe your scene was not intense enough?
  • @Angry_C I shot at 24p. I guess I should have clarified that!
  • Here are two examples of what I'm shooting that causes my 720p60 shots to fail with a "card too slow" error. BTW I am shooting these handheld so that the screen pattern is moving around, as a worst case scenario. Will have to try steady with a tripod.
    speaker grille 720p60.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    window screen 720p60.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @APXmusic:

Your clarification was:

"I have 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards and have had no problems with it at all"

• @Mimirsan:

can you post a screenshot of your testclip?
  • @APXmusic

I have tested every format the camera offers with the most detailed scenes I could fine. It hasn't errored once even with my Class 6 Eye-Fi card. The Patriot LX series and the Eye-Fi cards are known as some of the slowest in the business. I have one of each.

I would try using the settings I posted without any modifications at all. I posted them because that is what I used for all my tests and it has worked perfectly even with cards that barely meet the stock specs.
    Tree Tests00016 720p Detailed.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Tree Tests00015 720p Detailed.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
  • @arvidtp

Can you post your settings file so we can double check it. In addition, does it produce any file at all for the failed videos? If so can you post the stream parser screen shot for those files so we can see what is happening?
  • @mpgxsvcd
    Are they low bitrate 720p, and high bitrate 720p images?
    The material is fantastic. I'm very happy w/ the motion in 1080p.
  • @Sage

Both of those are high bit rate. I can't post the other large files from here. I am quite happy with the settings so far. Basically my cameras operates exactly as it did when I bought it except for the 30%-50% bit rate increase for all codecs. I think it is time to donate again to say thank you to Vitaliy.
  • @mpgxsvcd:

there´s much unsharpness in your screenshots, that decrease the detail level.
    Use f-stop 11 with the pancake and it would crash in FSH (1080i) mode I think.
    Or record grass on the ground with exact focus.
  • @Angry_C

I will try the higher F-stop in a few minutes. That could cause it. However, these were 32-35 mb/sec average bit rate files so the codec won't allow the bit rate to go any higher.
  • Am I correct in assuming that you used a setting of 35000000 and not 42000000 for bitrates?
  • I used 32000000. If you use over that value then it will cause the low bit rate GOP at the beginning. However, It appears that it can spike above the 32000000 value. I have seen as high as 34966520 for an average bit rate, but no higher.
    720p tree test.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 401K
    720p tree test2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 402K
  • I still see a low bitrate at the beginning (as was true with the GH13 as well), it's just not as extreme.

Aside from the initial blip, what's the highest bitrate you've been able to use with no crashes under any circumstances?
  • @Angry_C That's true. What I should have said was "I have 16GB Transcend Class 10 cards and have had no problems with it at all while shooting in 24p"

But if you're going to be a dick about it...
  • @mpgxsvcd That's good to know! So Class 6 should be the bare minimum then.
  • Well i looked at some 24PH files from my still unhacked GH2 and you will find the first I-frame with size half of the rest and low bitrate in the very beginning 3-12 frames up to second i-frame.
    24pH unhacked GH2.jpg
    1299 x 681 - 135K
  • @_gl

Completely agree regarding 4:2:2- this is really something that keeps on coming up :-(
    VK has done an AMAZING super human job- but I think that AVCHD can only be taken so far, (albeit very far)...
    I think that internal recording is great- and should be increased in quality- but for utilizing this camera for dare I say it: "production" - external recording is a must- with the internal recording acting as a very good 'backup'- or 'fallback'. I am however- not interested in asking for the impossible coffee machine! (AVCHD + 422 not never going to happen!)

Great work guys! - and VK... Can't wait to start testing this baby!
  • keep it up chaps soon we will have a broadcast camera that is not as expensive as the real deal :p
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions