Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f/0.95 Voigtländer Nokton
  • 308 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad same principle apply for the nikkors?

• Some more info on Zeiss C/Y:

There is also a 28mm 2.8, which is far cheaper than the so-called "Hollywood" 2.0 and it's tack sharp, while the 2.0 wide open is a bit soft in the corners. Same goes for the 1.4 vs. 1.7, you can get the 1.7 for a tad more than peanuts and it's sharper even at 2.0 than the faster one.

Anyway, if going for Zeiss C/Y make sure that you buy MM versions (the ones with the highest aperture value in green) not AE (all stops in white). The latter ones have the infamous 'Ninja' bokeh when stopped down one or two steps.

• @kazuo Nokton is tack sharp at 2.8. That's my default.

0.95 is dreamy. 1.4 and 2.0 are not bad.

Most of all the color rendition is awesome.

• @kazuo
    +1, we agree, Nokton indeed needs setup before the shooting for best results. I meant "subject"....and thanks for Zeiss info to you and to @nomad

• @nomad is absolutely spot on about Zeiss lenses. 25mm is not their the best, and if you need a 25mm, the Nokton is infinitely much better. Even the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1,4 is better by a country mile. Zeiss 28mm is the Hollywood lens, and it is a great. 50mm f1,4 is nice, but some say f1,7 is sharper, to each his own.

Leica lenses are very sharp even on mtf sensors. The only issue I have with using Leica and Zeiss glass on the same shoot is the disparity in color rendition. Leica tends to be less contrasty. If you are looking to shoot "flat" so you can grade better in post, Leica R lenses are the way to go.

@tetakpatak Not sure if I understand your use of the word "motive". But I will tell you what convinced me to sell the Nokton. There was this shoot where my monitor batteries died, and I was left with just the small screen on GH2 to check focus. But because we were running out of time, I had to push on. The result: quite alot of the footage was soft and unuseable. I haven't had such an experience with other lenses so far. I am not going to say the Nokton is a bad lens based on this isolated incident. It was as much my fault for not checking. But I am quite clear the Nokton is a luxury lens: you need time to set it up before you get to enjoy its glory.

• Well, 21mm is ridiculously expensive in Leica-R or Zeiss Contax. The Zeiss 25mm is not their greatest lens of all, I like the Voigt better, but from 28mm onwards I'm all into Zeiss.

• The Zeiss are nice, but MTF lenses are sharper at the open end more so than the Zeiss. At this moment in sensor development, I'd pick a Voight 25mm over a Zeiss 25mm if I had a choice, especially if you are shooting on the current Pannys. But, if I had deep pockets, I'd be picking off a few Leicas myself to add to the mix.

• Kazuo is right about f/2.8. But Nokton is great lens for certain kind of footage. Its image just has charme and character, I love this lens. It is seriously usable at f/1.4 and by f/2.8 it is not so difficult anymore to focus it. Actually, also f/1.4 worked fine with me @kazuo which kind of motives did you have problems with?

• @disease8

Have you tried other primes? I am now onto Zeiss and Leica R predominantly, and since crossing over, I dun struggle so hard or worry that I can't get my focus right. All these primes yield shallow depth on a GH2 as well, but the breathing is not as severe as the Nokton. No point having a lens at f0,95 when you can't shoot at that aperture three quarters of the time. To be practical, i now have a full set of Zeiss and Leica primes at f2.8. I find f2.8 to be the optimal exposure to set to great lighting on set. I keep a few f1.4 to help me in low light, but i use them sparingly

• I think its an amazing lens, probably one of the nicest I have ever used. I have lots of really nice OM Primes and its definitely up their with those. If you find it hard to get stuff in focus in time then you should shoot with a smaller aperture, the depth of field is ridiculous when its at 0.95 or 1.4... Hard to quickly get something in focus and get a quick crisp shot. But I don't really like autofocus and digital lenses. I love manual focus you get so much control.

• @kazuo fortunately for you, the price didn't drop at all. Check earlier in this thread, we had discussion about Nokton's price exactly one year ago ;)

• Can anyone recommend focus gears for the Nokton 25mm? Any of the wideopencamera gears work well on it or the Indie Snapgears?

• I just got mine and can't seem to get into it. Would appreciate any hints.

• Sold mine because it's tough to use on a day to day basis. Very pretty lens, pretty bokeh, but it's a bitch when you are trying to catch an image before it is gone.

• Hi guys I thought I would share a little test I did with the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95 Lens.

I am just a beginner really but have a background in still photography and general AV work. I would appreciate any feedback. I made a post about it in the Showcase section with more of an explanation.

Many thanks.

• I'm very happy with the current version of the TrusMT FF, but check out the catchit deals – today is FF day!

• Many thanks @pundit . I think a shoulder mount and follow focus is on the list now. Now time to research. I had the GH1 before my GH2 and hoping the lack of accessories has improved now. Any ideas on a good should mount with follow focus that would suit the GH2 and 25mm Voigtländer Nokton ?

• @Jrb A follow focus with hard stops is your friend!

• Its a real pain when doing a focus pull... why don't they make them so that when the focus ring stops you know that you've hit the infinity point. What would anyone use past infinity for? Or is it just the way the lenses have to be due to different temperatures and tolerances?

• That's right. Even the heavy cine zooms and ziess speeds are off from day to day. The lens markings are never really on the button. It's easy enough to recvalibrate with strips of drafting tape on the barrel. wide to normal angle , wide aperature lenses by nature would be the most prone to this. I did test my 17.5 and it's better than any lens I've used when it comes to hitting infinity right. Who the hell knows where that place is anyway..:)

• Normally, many lenses focus past infinity. Infinity point is also temperature dependent, and dependent on mount and lens tolerances.

• I've been struggeling with infinity focus performance aswell, and when reading @Jrb comment, I think my nokton acts the same way. Any others have an opinion about this?

• Is my 25mm nokton lens faulty?

My image is very blurred When I shoot at infinity, like when I move the focus ring all the way until it stops. The infinity icon hasn't lined up with the white dot but goes slightly past it. If I pull it back about 1mm, where the infinity icon sits in the middle at the white dot it seems ok and everything is in focus.

I have tried to focus on something that is extremely far away (even the moon) and still the whole picture is blurred until i pull it back that 1mm or so.

This is proving to be a real pain when shooting video and doing a focus pull to infinity.

Is this normal on the lens or is mine faulty? I've heard of past infinity, is this just how its mean't to be? Seems odd.

• do you think they might be low because Voigtlander is manufacturing a stopless 25mm? has anyone heard any rumblings about whether or not one might be in the works?

by the way, i purchased a 25mm using that link above to the French Amazon site. it just arrived today to me in the US and shipping was a mere $20. crazy good deal, i paid just over half of what it would have cost me to purchase stateside.

• Watch out for import tax and VAT added in the US...

Btw, the euro is at an all-time low so you might as well profit from it ;)

Amazing deal, i'm itching to pull the trigger... http://www.amazon.fr/Voigtlander-Objectif-Monture-Micro-Noir/dp/B0046EC1OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343079454&sr=8-1