Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EOS M and M2 Mirroless topic
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • Rofl.. I had missed the ingenious post from Mr Ken Rockwell back when this came out – he doesn´t hide his bias, does he?

The part about Leica really made me smile.. :) And yes, we should all remember to NEVER use a Leica M-series lens on anything but full frame. Of course.

• I will be interested to test the HDMI out. It may be useful for my static cameras during multicam setups.

I don't think I would spend any money on the EOS-M glass.
    Will have to see what adapters become available.

Sadly we haven't been able to get HDMI output from the Panasonic GF(2) range.

• Yeap it's a baby EOS. Same old soft images :)

• @bannedindv

It does not have two ports.

• Did anyone figure out why it has two HDMI ports yet?

• Ken is saying that it is "pro" because it has the bigger sensor, plus a real lens set. But actually, the sensor is really not much bigger than the Panasonic sensor when in landscape mode. Also, he hasn't actually tried the camera, I love Ken, but to say something is professional when you have not tried the camera is basically unprofessional. Will the IQ be better than the new Olympus? Maybe, but I doubt it, and it won't have built in IS.

• his position is very strange

His position is usually strange. :-) But at least he has one, contrary to many Canon backed bloggers :-)

• his position is very strange on this one "By "serious," I mean professional grade. Sony, Samsung, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and other third-tier brands offer lots of mirrorless cameras, but then aren't pro grade; they are just consumer electronics products and usually only with smaller 4/3 sensors (or smaller) and/or lens mounts often with few advanced lenses available."

I'd hardly call the EOS M presented thus far as more professional than the likes of the NEX-7, E-M5, X1 Pro, it doesn't even have physical controls. And someone should tell him the Sony, Fuji and Samsung have larger sensors than the Canon (1.5 versus 1.6).

Oh well, AF in video should be good with the EOS M, seems the still video AF is pretty slow however.

• @stonebat

I really like and admire Ken. He always has his position.

• http://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-m/m.htm

The Canon EOS M is the world's first serious mirrorless camera.

Hahahahahahaha

• Why the Hell does it have two mini HDMI ports? Is one a clean output? That could be interesting if so - otherwise...uh? what?

• Interesting. Live HDMI out and Full Manual Control just like 650d.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/canon/announcements/canons-first-mirrorless-camera-eos-m

Featuring the ability to record full HD movies in 1080p, the EOS M can record well-rendered video in great detail to an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, or through the video out and two mini-HDMI out ports. These HDMI ports also allow you to easily display your photos and videos directly onto an HDTV in real-time. When recording you have the option to choose from a variety of resolutions and frame rates, including 1920 x 1080 at 30, 25, or 24fps. Continuous shooting can last up to 44 minutes on a 16 GB memory card, and half that with an 8 GB card. Full manual control over exposure settings and focus is also supported, providing you with the ability to more easily dictate focus and creative exposure techniques.
  • Anyone found M43-to-EOSM adapter?

I'm pretty sure at least one of my Canon friends will buy it.

• Ordinarily, the flange difference would be I think a pretty big issue. After all, the Nex cameras have crappy corner sharpness. However, I'm willing to give Canon the benefit of the doubt for two reasons. The first is, that they are very late to the game, so they have had a chance to study the other models. The second is that this sensor is really not bigger than the multi-spec Panasonic sensor. The Panny is slightly larger than M43, and the Canon is slightly smaller than APS-C, at least from what I have read so far. Canon obviously has realized that they have to be a player in this market, and this may be their "toe-hold" cam. The next model may be a serious contender, or they may just try to occupy the low end. The real question now is whether they can crank out lenses as good as the m4/3 primes. If they can't, then they will have a cred issue with the pros and with the unbiased testing sites. I would be pleasantly surprised if the cam world were suddenly populated super high res canon pancake primes.

• All you need is a cheap FD 50mm :)

• Canon EOS-M 22mm 2.0
    • Samyang 35mm 1.4
    • Canon FD 50mm 1.4
    • Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Also Nokton 17.5mm and 25mm lenses on EOS-M at 2.39:1 ratio (cropping from editor) might have acceptable vignetting. I wish someone tests this...

• Hold on to your FDs! Their prices are soon going to rise...

• 18mm flange focal distance. Haha. I'm not so optimistic about EOS-M native lenses. But adapted lenses like Canon FD seem like a good bet.

• @Mimirsan It will be interesting how Canon FD would perform on EOS-M.

• Canon tries mirrorless.

Feels cold.

• I kinda like the camera...maybe we may get a magic lantern for it? :-D

There will be the usual moaners (its video has moire and alaising wah wah wahhh!) failing to see it as a stills camera and treat it (as most cameras nowadays) as a "filmmaking tool"

Anyway it'll probably sell bucket loads as its a Canon.

Panasonic...your move...

• Aspiring people, or DSLR shooters thar dont want such BIG camera for their usually not that extenuating shooting day that can have movie option for free, but it is not most important feature, for them :)

Canon will make their customers, and new aspiring ones ( remember also, every year we have a new generation of people) buy a camera, and for others, again. Canon is also getting a better model later for shure. Then we can see what we are talking about. But they will not for all matters make a DSLR killer model, too big to autocanibalize. Not for a 3 year period i asume. ( maybe a 60D killer, maybe, on next year )

Also If canon continue this way of presentig the new models, they will find a market tha suits the nees of this particular camera. Yes, they are competing with 5 more mirrorless brands but, canon has already earn a big chunk of people that are willing to try their so trustets products. This is a way to low down the weith to its DSLR cos they where good, but to chunky ( for example ive seen small amateur female photographers having quiet the some trouble with 60D or 7D, lenses, tripod, and bag) Some friends that like foto but dont like the bulkines when sooting on ninja mode on street. This option have the same quality, are smaller, and can have lenses changed too

I personally dont like this camera, its plastiky and the lack of bottons are not a good option for my actual needs, but, years back when i was 19 i bought my first point and shot camera. I would rader buy this investing a littel bit more and beliving that i was more near a pro fotographer for less price, imagine! lol. Also if i had never bought a camera and saw mirrorles as a system and a future invesment, i would considered as a cheaper option. Only from brand asosiation.

This will only boost sales for all mirrorless brands. Finally canon boys would compare cameras and understand the benefits of mirrorless, also the powe of the GH2 and family. They wil compare from now on, and thats why canon was the last fucker to jumpt inside the wagon. Was not a good business for thir DSLR. Now they accept and will slowly transition to this new system for the mayority of their middle range, canon line.