Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EOS M and M2 Mirroless topic
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • A video shot using the 'Neutral' Picture Style on the Canon EOS M, which reduces contrast, saturation and sharpness for what Canon says is a more "natural" look. This mode may be particularly useful for low light shots, and is shot inside the NYC Public Library on 42nd Street, and in train stations (e.g., Grand Central Terminal).

One bonus: a bagpiper presented himself up close, at night, out in the street, so you get to hear the audio capability in all its glory. The audio was set to manual for natural sound, so the bagpipe, like in real life, is quite loud, GCT at its busiest and street noises are moderately loud, and the library is, quiet. This is thus also a demonstration of the advantage of manual audio in capturing the dynamic range of sound in real life, naturally.

• @markr041

Thanks for making and posting videos made with Canon EOS M. I am sure they are useful for many members.

• Does this camera send real HDMI out over the HDMI connector? Does Magic Lantern get around the 4Gb file limitation for AVCHD as well as raw?

• @DrDave, they are doing some very cool stuff with the EOS-M on Magic Lantern. For example, they now have multi-ISO shots, basically in-camera HDR for noise reduction, etc. It's all bleeding-edge and hard to follow. I'm working with the RAW video stuff.

http://vimeo.com/maxotics

I remember seeing some post on video out, but can't find it now. Anyway,

See the EOS-M thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg74615;topicseen#msg74615

What you should know is there is a bug with the Canon 18-55mm IS lens and RAW video recording. So you may want to skip through those posts (unless you use that lens). Anyway, you should see various stuff there. 1% is the dev who seems to be working on EOS-M the most.

see also:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/517668-eos-m-hdmi-out.html

• Thanks, I'm not so interested in the raw as HDMI capture and file spanning.

• @DrDave, there is NO 4GB file limit on the EOS M. When 4GB is reached the camera automatically starts another file and there is no interruption. No Magic Lantern needed for that. ML may give you clean HDMI, but right now you do not have it while shooting.

• Thanks @Markr041--can't decide whether to get this cheap or wait for the next version......

• A Zoo Video using Canon's newest, just-released lens: the EF S 55-250mm IS STM (88-400mm equ.)

The new lens is made for video (quiet), and is lightweight and compact despite the reach, so it works well with the EOS M. It is also relatively cheap, for a Canon lens. A perfect zoo lens, so we naturally went to a (small) zoo:

Tropical birds and water birds preening, feeding and cleaning; snow monkeys, cleaning and feeding; penguin feeding time; sea lions feeding time; children's zoo; snakes; turtles; and gardens. And human visitors of all ages.

The audio is interesting, as you hear the reactions of the visitors to what you are viewing, and some music (why are so many posted videos without audio, and only a music track (a step back to silent films)?). And you can see that the IS is really effective - almost all the shots were at 400mm (equ.) handheld.

• EOS M + EF S 55-250mm IS STM video with panning:

Meeting and greeting French chefs; French metallurgy; French wines; a French model photo shoot; sculpting the Eiffel Tower with butter, inside a large plastic bubble; delivering the largest American flag in the world; French bulldog; the Marseillaise; and raising a French hot-air balloon - up, up and away, and down.

Horizontal pan as the largest US flag is brought out; vertical pan as the hot-air balloon rises.

• A nice overview about EOS-M setup and usage for interviews.

• A "Walk in the Woods" video that is not dull, even after "grading," (like those posted in the GH3 forum):

I looked for color in the woods, and there was sun. This video was not graded in post, but in-camera settings were made to match what I saw with my eyes - color!

• Science Museum Video

Uses Neutral and Standard Picture Styles depending on the scene. 35mm f2.0 IS STM and 18-55mm IS STM lenses used.

• @apefos

Looks pretty funny.

• It makes perfect sense to me. I've owned a ton of cameras and the EOS-M is a gem. Small. Metal. Manual exposure. Mic in. Magic Lantern. Lens choices. The only thing I would add is a viewfinder for my old eyes. With a viewfinder I believe more people would buy it over the SL1, especially with the new hybrid autofocus (which I assume they'll continue to iprove).

• Canon EOS M2 announced in Japan

Almost same camera. Main improvements are better AF speed and Wi-Fi.

http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/2013-12/pr-eos-m2.html

olym19.jpg
    800 x 584 - 74K
  • Bummer. Was hoping for a miracle and got wifi instead.

• @DrDave

It seems like it was ready long time ago and they wanted to announce it. But in the end management looked at sales of original M and decided to sell only in Japan in small amounts.

• People read too much into where cameras are released. You can't find Panasonic GF or GH cameras at BestBuy in the U.S. Sony and Olympus seem want the U.S. retail mirror-less market. Canon will sell these cameras where they'll either make money, or not lose it.

The GOOD NEWS is that Canon hasn't given up on the EOS-M platform. The RAW you can get out of the EOS-M is excellent at 720p. Canon could certainly modify this camera, in the future, to output 720p 24fps, or, in video terms, 4:4:4 quality. ML already does it though the hack isn't completely stable and the post-processing a bit difficult.

I might as well post here a link to my EOS-M RAW shooter's guide

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.msg82944#msg82944

I also created a C# program, which another dev, Joe Jungmann, made super-fast, that interopolates around the focus pixels.

https://bitbucket.org/maxotics/focuspixelfixer

If you're on a budget, have the time, and don't live in the U.S. (so you can get the 11-22mm STM lens), the EOS-M with Magic Lantern, will provide amazing film-like 720p video.

• @maxotics

Cool.

Do you have good video samples?

• olym35.jpg
    800 x 446 - 57K
    olym36.jpg
    800 x 804 - 138K
  • Thanks Vitaley!

Low light is one area where RAW on the EOS-M really shines. Low light. Audio is only for atmosphere. Didn't bother to try to sync it.

Here is EOS-M RAW Aspect 2.35:1 Resolution 1472x626

Here's where I use RAW and some ImageMagick to show pre de-bayered video