Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 fimware suggestions
  • This topic is intended to collect firmware only suggestions. Not hardware ones!

We'll pass most popular suggestions to GH3 developers team, so, may be, you'll see them implemented.

GH3 Preliminary specs (really rumors and speculations, nothing official :-0 ):

• Wheather sealed, metal body
    • Shutter button located similarly to G5, same power zoom rocker
    • 920k or better capacitive touch screen
    • Improved EVF (like full 1080p)
    • 1080p50/1080p60 at 28mp
    • 1080p120/1080p100 special modes (limited time usage), 720p120/720p100 unlimited
    • WiFi direct with Android and iPhone applications with remote video capture
    • 1/3.5" mic input and headphone output
    • Supplied with new wheather sealed kit
    • And optional battery grip, of course.

Mine suggestions:

• Improve video encoder making it independent from bunch of fixed settings, improve it's performance
    • Make special dedicated expert screen for video settings, allowing to set any combination of encoder parameters, without any hacks
    • Make proper electronic follow focus with speed selection, ability to set predefined positions, etc, driven from mobile phone or using rocker
  • 180 Replies sorted by
  • Possibility of a constant info display, beacause I have to keep pressing the disp button to control the time code, the audio levels, and other metering infos.

• Sorry to re-open but couldn't find a separate topic for it.. does the GH3 have customizable prefix file naming (i.e. ACam+date/time)?

1. Different Frame rate Modes 1080 48p 30p, 720 60p 50p 48p 30p etc,
    2. Audio Bitrate adjustment modes 128kbps, 192, 256, 320 kbps all playable in cam.
    3. better color & video scope and exposure / WB measurement features.
    4. variable shutter speed adjustment from 1/5 up to 1/100 enabled to set it on 1/48 1/24 desired level.
    5. complete enable and disable setting for NR, Sharpness, Contrast, and all those in Film Profile Setting.
    6. More color modes in Video option. sepia, Eastmen etc.
  • Can we see the list?

• got it, I know they listen .. hope it won ´t be too much for them.. btw ..let us know if they send you any answer :)

• I am hoping for the best ...but to be honest.. when I remember how much time it toke panasonic to release the gh2´s firmware with relatively small upgrades

Yet, if you look at our old GH1 improvements suggestions and GH2 features, you'll see that Panasonic clearly check all feedback.

• I am hoping for the best ...but to be honest.. when I remember how much time it toke panasonic to release the gh2´s firmware with relatively small upgrades I´m not seeing these gh3 dreams coming true.. beware of the competition panasonic.. m4/3 format has it´s own potencial but it must be well utilized, not crippled

• So what made the list? I'd be interested to see what suggestions actually make it into the final product.

• Oh I forgot one to request that I think is software...

Special outboard capture mode - selectable with a software switch:

Clean HDMI 4:2:2 true 23.98p for outboard recording to a Ninja/Pix240/whatever. Doesn't need to be able to record to sd card simultaneously (but it would be cool if it could as a backup). On screen control parameters could be viewed from the wifi Android/ios feed.

oh, and programmable false color (set your high medium and low threshold for ire values)

• How much will it cost roughly?

• I hope they do. I already saved my money for the GH3, looking forward to it.

• List is already translated and passed to the team.

Hope that some of the requests will be present, if not at the 1.0 firmware, but with next releases.

• @AKED

As I remember G5 has it already.

• How about panorama pictures, where several pictures are stitched together to make a panorama view. The Panasonic software that comes with the GH2, PhotoFUNstudio I think, has that feature and it works well, but this in camera would be great.

• there is definitely a lot more recoverable information, just have a look other cameras that do have fully customisable picture profiles.

• Creative controls in manual video mode. I also did a test of how far the shadows could be pushed using a single image. I know it's a bit extreme, but I just did it to showcase what could be done with even the current hardware (GX1 was used)

And of course I know RAW is different, but if it was a picture style, who knows. It might work. No extensive processing was done, only used shadows, blacks, highlight, whites sliders and curves. Noise reduction was light, except for color noise. All done in Adobe RAW import.

P1000580.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 655K
  • "This also will never happen." Well, given the chance, we should never stop asking for it. ;-]

• DO NOT SPAN CLIPS. Use a modern filesystem that doesn't limit file size to a few gigabytes.

It can be expert mode only, as most devices will be unable to play such files, hence returns and complains.

DO NOT CASTRATE THE HDMI OUTPUT. At least not for those frame sizes and rates it supports. No out-of-standard fields an cadences, please. 4:2:2 clean color output. Some kind of secure connection solution.

This is software only topic!

Make your propietary stuff hardcoded/opaque, and make the rest of the camera OS/firmware OPEN SOURCE.

This also will never happen.

• From more to less crazy and hence from less to more required:

-Make your propietary stuff hardcoded/opaque, and make the rest of the camera OS/firmware OPEN SOURCE. Acknowledge half of the GH2's success comes from the hackers and capitalize on this.

-Following on the previous "automatic grey card use" idea... AUTO ASSISTANT EDITOR: If you're implementing some kind of AR tracker/detector (which is actually not that different from a face detector for autofocus), you can also detect some kind of marker that is easy to place on the clapperboard's corners and look for it at the beginning and end of a recording. Perform OCR on a sharp frame. Autofill the metadata screen. Rename the clip after record. Write an XML or XMP with metadata. Mark the clap frame via audio detection. These things are doable on a camera with a processor powerful enough to detect faces, something which left the scifi realm around 2007. OCR leaves open the use of classic slates, or maybe the ones with velcro numbers that don't depend on the user's handwriting. Alternatively you can use an ipad or cheap android tablet and show a qr code slate like this app http://www.qrslate.com/ Talk to the NLE makers about this. Adobe shows much interest in this by releasing Prelude.

-On the android/ios app I'd like at least a metadata tab, a color profile tab, a playback control tab, and an control/automation tab that could be expanded upon somehow. Much better: if you're programming wifi interoperability with smartphone apps, make it with an OPEN PROTOCOL. OSC could be a great protocol to replace LANC.

-Yes, add more colorspace control. Log, pseudo-log, cinestyle, clipping rolloff control, a custom raw conversion tool that can export color profiles for in-camera jpeg's and video... whatever you choose, having to choose between Nostalgic and Smooth doesn't cut it anymore.

-DO NOT CASTRATE THE HDMI OUTPUT. At least not for those frame sizes and rates it supports. No out-of-standard fields an cadences, please. 4:2:2 clean color output. Some kind of secure connection solution.

-DO NOT SPAN CLIPS. Use a modern filesystem that doesn't limit file size to a few gigabytes.

• Focus assist with hdmi monitor attached

• Focus bracketing might be a feature, had it in the Canon G range in the past.

• An option to disable any extra image processing the camera does when shooting with electronic lenses.

• Don't know how it would work but maybe a color profile that allowed highlights/shadows/mids control? I mean +/- gain for h-s-m. that would allow for the flattest image possible.

• +1 for better USB connectivity and control. I tried the other day to do some stop motion animation, only to find out that the GH2 wouldn't interface live-view style, rendering the use of animation software irrelevant (you can't use onionskin, so what's the point?)