Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 fimware suggestions
  • 180 Replies sorted by
  • A time lapse mode, with more granular control of aperture and shutter. Even better if the aperture and shutter values could be ramped up and down slowly, over time

Let's formulate it like this:

• Timelapse animation feature.
    • Mobile application must allow to set up to 1000 key frames, with defined time interval, zoom position, focus position, shutter and aperture values, ISO value. You must have ability to store this data or beam them other WiFi to camera.
  • Sounds perfect, key framing and remote control of time lapse settings

• +2 for anamorphic, better 4:3 video quality mode (something like 4:3 24p or even 60P) so you can use with various anamorphic lenses.

• As well as anamorphic guidelines for those using adapters, a wider-screen video mode might be nice too. Since 1920x1080 is much less than the sensor size so it seems like it shouldn't be all that hard to make, for instance, a 2115x900 mode which is still much less than the size of the sensor. Sure, there'd be no weird oval flares, but it would allow people to shoot widescreen without investing in anamorphic lenses.

It certainly wouldn't be necessary, but it would be a more or less unique feature!

• I'd like to see USB or Wifi tethering for stills, with ability to control settings of camera and shutter from an app. Like Lightroom etc. That's just software.

HDR video like Red HDRx and Canon's Magic lantern (24fps = 48fps (regular exposure and X exposure)

Log profile

Not likely, but higher than 8 bit video. 10 bit would be fine

META DATA!!!! Even if it is a sidecar file why not record the camera's meta data when shooting video. Ever do a test of different f stops/picture profiles/shutter speeds. If you click a still during video recording I guess the meta data is in the jpg, but when you are shooting fast, you forget.

How about additional crop modes. Something less than the current 2.6x. Just enough to use C-mount lenses without vignetting. There must be a pixel ratio that is divisible without much loss of quality. Just one more would give 3 focal lengths to a single prime. Needs to be easy to cycle through them. Imagine you are out with the 20mm. You are filming something. Touch a function key and you at 1.5 crop or 30mm. tap the function key again and you are at 2.6x crop or 52mm. And you haven't changed a lens and you can be shooting at f1.7.

More for stills:

Timelapse intervalometer.

Single click multiframe bracketing for HDR (BURST)

Electronic shutter for timelapse (like G5)

SILENT MODE for stills

Focus peaking

How about lower ISOs like 50 and 100

• +1 for focus peaking!

• Colourbars for LCD calibration would be nice

• full metadata screen would be great. If the other specs come close to what the rumors report it'll still exceed my expectations. App to set processing parameters for color profiles would be sweet.

• -pixel in pixel full HD resolution, so 4k scanning for 1080p output, on live HDMI of course :-)

-dynamic range ... native HDRx

• I'd like to see the ability to use the whole of the multiaspect sensor as a frame for both video and photos, as well as other ETC modes that for a other common lens like 1" and 2/3"

Ability to set minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO.

Able to disable the shutter button for stopping/starting of recording in video mode, only allow it for autofocus.

• 3D video, say by storing the LH & RH in alternate frames of 1080p60 format, so each side has effectively 1080p30. This feature will help Panasonic get rid of the heavily discounted 3D lens currently in the market place that obviously nobody wants.
  • -software stabilizer (at least in etc mode) for manual lenses

-4:3 recording option for cheaper anamorphics

-Hdr (similar to magic lantern)

-focus peaking

• I'd like to see a real Variable Frame Rate codec. One that only encodes 5fps if the shutter speed is 1/5s.

I'd also like to see the option to suppress audio altogether.

• I'd also like to see the option to suppress audio altogether.

Any reason to do it?

It is very simple to do, really. I did it with patches. But I do not see the point.

• For me, I wouldn't mind an audio off. I don't shoot people talking. It does become a pain muting or deleting audio in a time line.

• 1) Ability to invert the EVF so we can shoot with camera upside down. It can already mirror.

2) Ability to program a rack focus, to memorize A and B positions, then hit a soft key or allow remote shutter activation to trigger the rack immediately or after a time delay

3) Ability to capture still images from a video stream at a programmable interval, e.g., every 10 seconds save one frame in full resolution while continuing to record video

4) WFM and RGB + Luminance histograms

5) Ability to view R, G, B and Luminance channels separately on EVF

6) API for easier programming of functions, with loading of temporary and/or permanent settings via USB (for tethered control of nearly all functionality)

7) Tethering with control of functionality and streaming of video output

8) Selective cropping of different parts of sensor (i.e., to move the X,Y coordinates of EX mode)

9) Deferred shooting, based on timer (i.e., start video at hh:mm:ss and run for nn minutes, then repeat daily)

10) Store separate settings in different user profiles, so two different camera operators can "log in" to select their favorite settings

• Why not make the video resolution and FPS MENUS make sense. Select 1080p or 720p then either 24,30,50,60,100,120 (obviously limited by the resolution.)

You know what would be really cool, and could possibly be done with an eyefi now. If you are doing a long timelapse. Be able to wifi at least the jpgs to a computer, and you can preview say the first 1/3 of the TL. If something looks screwy, you could start over. Better than waiting 5 hours to find you have garbage.

Vitaliy, of the Panasonic m43 cameras, isn't this the longest amount of time between updates? It will be 2 years. Didn't they go from the GF2 to GF3 in like 6 months? I'm hoping this amount of time for their flagship camera would give the wonderful engineers plenty of time to implement their magic. We shall see:-)

• What is very important to me:

1) Would it be too much to ask for a mode that actually takes 24 RAW photos per second? As Silently as possible please...

2) More dynamic range 12 or 13 stops

3) Resolve the rolling shutter issue (yes, it is possible to do it on CMOS sensor)

4) Option for 2.35:1 aspect ratio for video ... 2438 X 1080

5) TRUE What You See Is What You Get 1080p picture in viewfinder

What is not so important to me, but would be nice to have:

• 96KHz 24bit audio

• Audio Input Level control (kind of a mini-field mixer)

• Headphone jack

• On screen audio monitoring

Also... bring back the production of LA7200 ... but with improvements and for GHx series. So that we can shoot true anamorphic.

• @kronstadt Wrong thread, software only changes.

• +1 For:

• Improved audio controls.
    • Removing timelapse exposure length limits for AP.
    • Focus-peaking.
    • HDR video.
    • Internal intervalometer.
    • Full metadata.
    • Software option to bypass internal pre-amp (using line-level) if possible.
    • Setting up the video menu more like @DisneyToy: pick a frame rate and pick a resolution.

• Also, I would like to be able to switch in and out of EX Teleconverter mode without stopping the shot, if possible. Might be hard, but would be very useful.

• And being able to specify shutter speed in degrees would be a helpful way to make the DisneyToy suggested settings even more useful. I really appreciated this when I shot with the Scarlet.

• Love this! In order of priority, my vote goes to (0) 60 fps; (1) >10 bit bit color; (2) HDR video; (3) 3D video; (4) MP4 container. Best, Kevin

• Select ETC mode without stopping to record

• Would monitoring 720p60 signals on a HDMI monitor be under firmware? If so PLEASE. This one is big.

• Being able to turn off the flipping image on the LCD screen when you tilt up. Headphone jack. Using a Fn button for audio sensitivity. More Fn buttons with full range of options. 1080p60. Internal NDs. Larger LCD screen with peaking. Eye cup for EVF

• +1 Proper names on video modes: res+fps.

Don't know if this is software related: to be able to change ISO during recording with wheel/rocker. Perhaps negative ISO (digital ND).

Focus check during recording (now only possible before recording).

+1 Magic lantern style HDR in 48-120 fps.

+1 focus peaking.

Smaller text/darker text in EVF to make it easier to see image/composition.

One more movable vertical/horizontal line in custom grid.

Set clipping limit on highlight indicator to 80 IRE, add similar low clipping zebras for 20 IRE (Shian zone system).

Almost forgot! Add "Ride of the Valkyries" to slide show music ;)