Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
4K and UltraHD Stuff, Cinemas, Camcorders, TVs
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • News site's source (identified as an "industry official" rather than a Samsung employee), says the Galaxy Note III, which is likely to make its debut at IFA 2013, will be able to record video in Ultra High Definition.

Hmm...

• @Wilbo

All deals go to Marketplace. Either news topic or http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4326/deals-computers-laptops-hdd-storage-tablets-and-monitors#Item_26

But $639 is already quite serious. Only problem being 60fps support.

Make this 32", top quality IPS panel, 100% Adobe space, support for 50 and 60fps i native res, and I am sold.

• Um... more deals on the Seiki TVs:

Seiki 39-Inch 4K HDTV $639 free shipping with coupon code c1137259936

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6240186&sku=AFSEIKISE39UY04&omid=200&ref=cj

Seiki 50-Inch 4K HDTV $869 + free shipping with coupon code c1137259698

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sdtid=6240186&sku=AFSEIKSE50UY04&omid=200&ref=cj

Apply the coupon code at checkout to see the price noted above. If I hadn't just blown a bunch of dough on a BMCC I would be really thinking about this.

-W

• Question for those of you who like to predict the future.

In large disposable income countries, how widespread do you think consumer devices with 1440p to 2160p resolutions and 48fps to 60fps H.264 or HEVC decoding capability could become by 2015?

• Do you mean USB 3.0 OTG port for using hard drive or SSD in the role of a memory card?

As you are doing it with your computer or notebook. :-) Just not powered, I think, so it'll need special Y cable so you could plug it to 5V battery.

• Do you mean USB 3.0 OTG port for using hard drive or SSD in the role of a memory card?

• I suspect GH5 will be HD only, 4k at GH series price point still seems too unlikely, considering that all components including memory cards should be able to handle the resolution and data rates.

This one is easy. Make USB 3.0 OTG port and it is enough. Modern memory and LSI are up to the task.

• I suspect GH5 will be HD only, 4k at GH series price point still seems too unlikely, considering that all components including memory cards should be able to handle the resolution and data rates.

Would love to be proven wrong on that though :)

• Ok.

4k adaptation could be as fast as big data adaptation. I'm hoping GH5 supports 4K.

• @stonebat

Let's not go to this direction. As it'll be pure big flame.

• Apple is the new Microsoft. Blah blah :)

• And why are Apple reported to have bought back Apple last month spending $16 billion last quarter ($4 billion in cash, $12 billion through accelerated share repurchase) to buy 32.5 million of its own shares? Where is it all leading?

This is simple, buyback is used to prevent further shares drop :-) And it was synced with serious problems with sales.

• With Apple looking at LG (and Sharp) for Ultra HD supply it certainly looks like they are gearing up to 'own' the Smart TV market as they did with mp3 players and phones. LG have already played down Apple iTV as 'now is not the time' - which I guess means they are covering up a major launch soon. 2014 is going to be a big year for the players - Apple and LG desperately want to beat Samsung. And why are Apple reported to have bought back Apple last month spending $16 billion last quarter ($4 billion in cash, $12 billion through accelerated share repurchase) to buy 32.5 million of its own shares? Where is it all leading?

• KT Skylife has successfully tested satellite-based broadcasting for ultra high-definition (UHD) TVs for the first time in the world, the firm said Friday.

It plans to offer pilot UHD content to subscribers next year with a goal of commercializing the service in 2015.

The firm used the advanced high efficiency video coding (HEVC) technology to ensure a seamless transmission of UHD content.

“We are closely collaborating with content providers and TV manufacturers to offer UHD TV content and programs as scheduled. Programs fit for UHD TVs will be available from 2015,” KT Skylife CEO Moon Jae-chul told reporters.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2013/08/123_141233.html

• I tried Oculus games. One game simulates cinema theater experience where a gamer sits in front of a theater screen and watches 3d movie from the virtual world. Yes I saw front seats and back seats just like a real theater and I can switch a seat. But the resolution of Oculus is cut in half to display left and right visions simultaneously and the simulated theater within the game cuts down the resolution so much that pixelation was bothersome. If it had been 4k, it would have attracted lots of theatergoers.

• July’s CEA U.S. Consumer Electronics Sales and Forecast July 2013 report introduced sales data for Ultra HD, projecting shipments to reach 57,000 units, with shipment revenue to earn $314 million in 2013. CEA forecasts Ultra HD shipments to surpass the one million unit mark in 2015.

• @driftwood

h265 still got some way to go for Pany it seems!

Making good hardware encoder is very tough.

Look at prevent H.264 ones that suck compared with good x264 settings.

@GravitateMediaGroup

Yes, it'll be our personal ends :-)

But 4K is very handy. Especially for 32" as monitors. With build in passive 3D. And ability to use FUllHD resolution if you need it with perfect scaling.

• my only question would be now is...where does it end? sky the limit? 1000K resolution? or will some other technology come along before then lol VR, holograms, touch holograms at that, off topic but so worth it AND this was 4!! years ago

• Panasonic's AVC Ultra 4k still part of h264 by the look of the pdf above?! First products out at the end of this year, early 2014. h265 still got some way to go for Pany it seems!

• Asus 4K monitor review

Even coming into the office right after a standard 30”, 2560x1600 display, the difference is huge. You get either a larger desktop, or a far crisper screen, or possibly both. It isn’t a small difference, but one that I can notice easily, and every single time I sit down to my desk. It also is apparent that many application vendors have to hurry up with their software support for DPI scaling, because when it isn’t supported correctly it is really ugly out there.

In the end, my feelings about the ASUS PQ321Q wind up being very simple. Of the dozens of displays that I’ve reviewed for AnandTech so far, this is the one I want to hold onto the most. The razor sharp screen is just addictive to use, and you realize this is the future for displays. I’m sure over the next few years that performance will improve, prices will come down, and features will increase, and that helps everyone. But I want this now, and I don’t want it to leave my house.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7157/asus-pq321q-ultrahd-4k-monitor-review

• @GravitateMediaGroup

It is repost (written with own words) of some weird article. Do not remember it,

Larger color space is not related to resolution (they only mention some standard). In fact, with going into cheap LED backlights from tubes backlights most TVs lost some unifirmity and some gamut.

I am not even started to talk about mobile devices where gamut and battery life are always two opposites (for LCD screens, for OLED it is not so).

• I found this article on nofilmschool to be interesting, it basically talks about how 4k is more valuable than just the "extra resolution" but also the color space and so on...

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/4k-uhd-color-space-gamut-frame-rate/

• $999 4K TV

TCL ANNOUNCES 50" 4K ULTRA-HIGH DEFINITION LED TV FOR $999 AND FLAGSHIP 5510 LED HDTV SERIES FOR US MARKET

Corona, Calif., July 25, 2013 - TCL (The Creative Life), the third largest TV brand in the world, announced their fall product line-up for the US headlined by the 50" edge-lit LED 4K Ultra HD TV launching in September aggressively priced at $999 MSRP.

50" Edge LED 4K Ultra HD TV

Launching in September, TCL's 50" LED Ultra HD TV features next-generation 4K technology and combines stunning 3840x2160 resolution with SRS TruSurroundHD sound to provide consumers with a true home theater experience. The 50" 4K LED UHD TV brings spectacular picture quality with four times the resolution of Full HD (1080p). TCL's 4K TV will upscale all of your favorite HD content - TV shows, sporting events, and movies (both Blu-rays & DVDs) to 4K to provide enhanced picture quality with sharper detail and contrast. The advanced 120Hz CMI (Clear Motion Index) refresh rate displays fast motion sports and action scenes with clarity and smoothness The 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio provides brilliant color and contrast. It features an ultra-thin bezel with a modern gunmetal gray finish, housed in a sophisticated slim frame design. Four HDMI® inputs allow users to connect to satellite or cable, DVD/Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, and other devices at the same time. As an MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) enabled TV, users can effortlessly connect smart phones or tablets to the TV to display content while simultaneously charging the device.