Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Macs from WWDC
  • 100 Replies sorted by
  • @rikyxxx Jesus Christ? LoL

@itimjim Adobe Mercury Engine based products would run faster on either Windows or OSX. Never same. I'm saying they run faster on Windows. I meant performance benchmarking on computing intensive tasks such as adding effects and rendering.

Windows version of Apple CS6 apps use CUDA. OSX version of the suite uses OpenCL. They are different implementations. How can they have same performance benchmarking? :)

Frankly this is the first time that I hear some think performance of Adobe CS apps is same on both Windows and OSX. I find it hilarious.

• Last year I installed diy SSD on my macbook pro. Well Snow Leopard doesn't support TRIM. I heard Lion supports TRIM. But there's a catch. Lion doesn't support 3rd party SSD. I was like... wtf...

• I wonder if this system has enough specs for decent editing with Premier... or even as a Hackintosh....

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/vizios-ivy-bridge-all-in-ones-get-official/

• @ahbleza Make sure that the NVidia GPU supports CUDA and PP CS6's CUDA acceleration supports the GPU. I'd upgrade the RAM to 16GB or more. Interesting monitor... or is that TV with True 24p support?

• @subco That's the thing. We are stuck for now :(

I need both OSX only app(s) and non-OSX apps, and I can carry only one machine around. I can do Android app coding in OSX, but no iPhone app coding in Windows. So I'm stuck with MBP for now although I'm not a big fan of Apple.

Hopefully it's not like Hotel California.

• If you don't need OSX (e.g. for Premier editing) then this new article about Vizio makes reassuring reading. It seems they are targeting the high-end PC business, and want to offer a clean build of Windows, without all the bloatware that many manufacturers add. I like this thinking!

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/15/3076519/vizio-reboot-pc-american-hdtv-success-do-it-again

• @ahbleza This post is about macbook though.

I don't like Apple, but I must say... newly announced MBP models always look great.

• I think that if anyone is going to 'talk' about another editor for OSX- then skip Premier and go to Smoke... Seriously crazy good...

• @alcomposer did you try Smoke, how does it deal with avchd?

Edit: looks like they are having problems with .mts files: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-smoke/smoke-2013/importing-mts-files/

Not cheap:$3.500

• No I haven't tried Smoke @gameb.

However if one was to use AP on the Mac - then I would strongly suggest using Smoke (as its pretty much one of the most pro apps out there...) If FCPX + Motion isn't pro enough...

• OpenCL is a standard maintained by the Khronos Group, the same group that maintains OpenGL. OpenCL was originally developed by Apple, but that's no more relevant today than the fact the SGI originally developed OpenGL.

Nvidia released CUDA before OpenCL was finished. When Adobe was working on CS5 only CUDA was available:

This is from March 2011:

Q: Apple is using ATI and a similar technology to CUDA called OpenCL. Will Adobe embrace OpenCL in the future?

When CS5 was under development and I showed the Technology Sneak Peek, OpenCL wasn’t even ratified or finished. CS5 wouldn’t have had GPU acceleration at all had it been based on OpenCL. Even today (March, 2011), we don’t have a lot of real OpenCL applications. Adobe is continuing to evaluate OpenCL for future development but today Adobe’s GPU acceleration technology is based on CUDA from NVIDIA.

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2011/03/premiere-pro-on-a-mac-%E2%80%93-what-is-the-truth.html

Whether or not you get an OpenCL implementation on Windows is entirely down to whether your graphics card manufacturer provides one, ATI/AMD and Nvidia both do. Adobe could support OpenCL on Windows too, but I don't believe they have yet.

• @pvjames and @Preetam

I've read somewhere that this new mac is almost irrepearable, so you play with this against. For me dont buy mac, IBM is the way to go miles ahead thay are build to last period.

• @leonbeas: I saw the MBP-RD the other day. I'm not gonna go for it. Will likely go with either a new Imac w/Ivy Bridge or HackMachine in the future. Apple has been extremely durable as well and they have that going for them even though its irreplaceable/irrepairable. I just can't see myself doing 3D work on a 15.4" on the road.

• The retina screen was very reflective. I prefer glare free high res option on non-RD mbp.

• @stonebat

Get the film.

Btw, most of the companies are just goddamn stupid. All they need is to have glossy sticky tape on screen while it is standing on the shelf. After this you can just put it in intended place, I mean the bin.

• @pvjames

Totaly agree with you, even though you may get to the point where you need a field pc maybe not for 3d work but some preliminary video editing for documentary or anithing else well yes, with some nice external harddrive. End point, some need a portable way to get the job done, OSX is a very very userfriendly OS and is stable as rock, agree with that i would buy an IBM and hackintoshit :) and i can assure you it will last at least twice any Mac you can buy, believe me they have something strange going in to their laps, and parts since day one. Its not restricted like many other branches do. Some time ago last year a got my hands in a thinkpad pentium 3 with 256 ram running i looked at it an said no it is no use for it nowadays, but even so put xp on it and got 512Mb ibm ram i found in to it, an i got impressed that that old machine worked faster and more stable than a core duo with 2 gb ram, (of course in office and web, not video or 3d) i dont know what is it but they put something in their machines others dont, and that reaaly makes a difference. Another example is a 4gb ibm drive from the 90's still working no issues at all, while much more recent drives from segate, western digital, hitachi, samsung all went death. If you need laptop buy IBM period ( and take good care of it). Macs are overratted and are too expensive for what you buy, what they sell is design and software.

• I'm just glad the retina mac is here, even if I don't get one. Sure is nice to know that tech is still progressing at Apple. Retina displays only have one direction to go now . . . cheaper ;)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev The glare-free high-res option on MBP makes the total weight lighter.

@B3Guy I want 16GB mod, but it can't be modded.

Anyways no new MBP for me. No money.

• Ok, now, we are in 2013, and my 2006's Mac Pro is near of dead. Kernel panic and freezing screen make daily my job so frustrating. Shortly at 30 degres every hour (!) I need to make hard reboot. And working with noisy fanes is a nightmare. I live in france and in Europe at this time you can't buy a Mac Pro. So I don't want to go PC system. What can i do now between fall and his hypthotetic "amazing new Mac Pro of my ass" ? Am I the only one here ? How do you do ?

• @gabilourson, sounds like you might be in Hackintosh territory ;)

• @gabilourson @Oedipax yes, and he has a VERY nice case to build it in :-D

• How do you do ?

We do hackintoshes.