Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New Macs from WWDC
  • 100 Replies sorted by
  • There are 'so many' Nvidia cards for Macs... Apple is basically going to go like AMD did with ATI me thinks..

• @alcomposer Hey mini displayport is openstandard, too. How many vendors embraced it? Other than Apple, what other OS will embrace OpenCL fully as a core part of their OS? None.

• Oh well they are going to miss out on all the 'Compile on demand' C goodness... ;-)

• As @Preetam mentioned, the ram is soldered to the board. Keep that in mind if you purchase and check this. If something goes wrong, it looks like a nightmare if you don't have applecare.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/13/ifixit-tears-down-the-new-retina-macbook-pro-calls-it-least-repairable-laptop-ever/

• OsX support both OpenCL and CUDA: the former doesn't rule out the latter and I can't see the problem with ony of them on Mac.

So what's the point about OpenCL in this 3D? None, zero, nada, fully OT.

Someone is just writing a bunch of "put_the_word_you_like_here" to cover the fact he cannot prove his points. Let's get back to the topic.

@pvjames The new retina MBP is machine for Pros and if something goes wrong a Pro must rely on a backup and a 2nd machine.

Applecare will not postpone your deadlines :-)

• @rikyxxx I think you're confused about what OpenCL is. OpenCL is absolutely relevant to this topic, as it does virtually the same thing as CUDA. See http://www.streamcomputing.eu/blog/2010-04-22/difference-between-cuda-and-opencl/ and http://www.streamcomputing.eu/blog/2011-06-22/opencl-vs-cuda-misconceptions/ . And yes, all MacBook Pros with dedicated GPUs at least since 2009 (with the 9600M) support CUDA, as well as OpenCL. CS6 benefits from OpenCL, but it only enables CUDA by default with certain cards. See the list here: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html

• @Sangye I'm not confused and I also find CUDA "very marginally" relevant to this topic ("we're digressing..." were my first words about it, see page 1).

• @rikyxxx You seem really liking Apple. I'm a proud owner of MBP, too.

What Apple products do you own? What apps are you running on it? Why do you like'em so much? What new Apple product are you going to get? What's so great about it?

Shed me some light. Oh don't forget to provide all facts to support your opinions. I really hope you are not just another fanboy.

• Not everyone that uses computers to edit media are computer geeks willing to dive into the inner guts of hardware and software. In fact the vast majority aren't in this class. Case in point is my Wife. She does weddings and events and she will NEVER open a PC or futz around with the OS in depth underpinnings, but she works on Macs every day and they are easy to use and consistently similar from machine to machine, which makes it a joy to use. Perhaps if many here were merely artists and not techno geeks types as well, they might be more understanding of why Apple has been so many loyal users.

I've bought her many PC's over the years but nothing opened here eyes as much as when in 2008 I bought her 1st iMacs. I opened the box, plugged them in and in minutes all the computers were networked and she was up and running with ease. She LOVES her iMacs. Most likely i'll be getting her a new MBP with Retina display. She has no problem getting on my MacPro either of course. She's been using FCP and iMovie for years and she's comfortable. Not everyone jumps and changes their systems frequently. Also the synergy with iPads and iPhones added in is a very nice thing as well. You can achieve similar things in the PC world, but it's just not exactly the same and that small difference can be significant enough for some.

Use what you want it's a free country. Just understand that there are indeed valid reasons why some choose to stick with Apple.

• @Aria: You may want to buy your wife a new Imac with Retina display next month. :)

• Anyone else highly disappointed that they killed the 17" MBP? My mid-2009 model is still going strong, especially since I upgraded it to 8GB of ram. But the 9600M GT is showing its age, and I'm getting increasingly jealous about those that can use Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

I'll probably keep using it until the rumored Mac Pros of next year are confirmed. At that point I'll decide whether I want to wait for a Mac Pro, put together a high-end hackintosh, or go to a 15" retina MBP. Honestly though, I have an iPhone 4, and my 1920x1200 MBP looks every bit as "retina" to my eye as so-called retina displays.

• Yeah, I'm still wondering if they won't surprise us with a 17" eventually...but...kind of bummed for the moment. My mid 2009 is still going but I want 16gb of ram and thunderbolt...grrrr

• http://www.cringely.com/2012/06/12/death-of-the-mac-pro/

One of my favorite bloggers just commented on the "death of the mac pro". He talked last year that rumors were coming out that apple was going to kill off the Pro. He speculated they'd replace it with thunderbolt connected Mac Mini's. Instead of one Pro tower you'd have 3-5+ Mini's hooked up though thunder bolt instead.

http://www.cringely.com/2011/08/23/is-the-mac-pro-dead/

Interesting.

• Isnt the guy running Apple the old sacked CEO from Dixons? If you're from the UK this may have some resonance with you - i.e Dixons like Walmart but oh so so shitter lol

• I'm wondering actually if a 2011 17" maxed out to 16gb of Ram (not officially supported, but apparently it works) with the quad core and thunderbolt might be a good solution right now, as the price might come down a bit?

• @kellar42: I am guessing they will not have a 17" version anymore. I also have the 2009. I'm wondering if it would be better to get a new laptop and external monitor then a new Imac. I do quite a bit of work on the road....

• @stonebat

You don't need to be "enlightened" by someone, I'm sure you know very well how macs and PCs "work", what they can give you and which is the right/best for you.

I'm both a designer and a photographer and I use a lot Adobe apps, Photoshop and Lightroom above all.

They are not cheap and I'm not a millionaire, so I expect Adobe to develop them in the best way they can, both on mac and pc. Wich means that just a marginal performance difference between osx and win versions would be acceptable (since the hardware is the same and both those os provide very good tools to developers).

Believe it or not, my question about a link proving what you said was not a "challenge", on the contrary it was genuine. I cannot deny that I didn't like your replies and that I was a little upset, but now it doesn't matter anymore to me (and I hope to you as well). So... I wish we can get along from now on.

• @kellar42 I'm writing from my 17" (early 2011) MBP and I'm a little disappointed about Apple not producing them anymore.

I confirm it supports up to 16gb of Ram.

• You meant you felt bad when I told you to google? I know a buddy who often says "Prove it. Show me a link." He happens to practice Straw Man's Argument. Very tiresome. So I told him to google, too. I don't hate him. I don't hate you.

Adobe products run better on Windows. Period. I'm stuck to OSX just because Apple never released Xcode for Windows. Hackintosh is no option for me as Xcode often requires latest OSX patches and updates. I can understand why audio engineers wanna stick to Apple as many apps/hardwares they like are available for OSX only.

• I think that maybe this ping pong needs to end... suffice to say that P-V is a very active website- and as such we all need a thick skin... (also good for film making!)...

• All programs will be needed update for Retina screen work. That would cause to download lots of patching.

• @stonebat

Adobe products run better on Windows. Period.

What am I supposed to do after reading this? No offense, but you're not Jesus Christ and some other people say the opposite: should I trust you? Should I trust them? Who knows?

Moreover Photoshop for mac (re-written using Cocoa libraries from version CS5 on) runs so smooth and so fast that believing you is even more hard...

Sorry, I need proofs.

• @stonebat Adobe products work no better or worse on either platform. I use both all the time and interchangeably.

• @Subco Thanks for underlining once again that windows is always better than osx, in every aspect. I got the message :-)

• P.S.

Don't worry, I got the part about Ubuntu too: it runs like a dream. Shame on Apple for the sluggish osX UI.