Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Image shift while focusing with FF
  • Hi, Are you guys aware of image shifting while focusing with FF ? It seems like the lens moves because of the torque applied to it, causing the image to move. I got a gini FF, some nikon & yashica lenses, but the problem appears with every lenses... Just to be clear I'm not speaking about "breathing" but some kind of unwanted movement from the lens while focusing. Is there a solution or is it a well-know issue with still lenses ?

Thanks in advance

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • I finally bought a very "decent" tripod kit, Manfrotto 504HD + 535K Carbon Fiber legs. Very pricey but I chose to only buy one good tripod, not 3 or 4 until I find something decent... I'm very happy with it, the shakes while pulling focus are only noticeable on ETC mode, panning and tilting are smooth.

• @Craig_R too much to use in shoulder rig. It's for tripod use only and it's not yet finished :) I have much lighter setup for shoulder rig.

EDIT: And the idea is to create stable and generic setup as possible, so the same parts can be used with different cameras in future.

• @mo7ies yes there is just one, luckily I have one more. But it's tricky to place them correctly and at the same time get access to SD-card, open display to left, enough space for FF etc..

I knew there was a reason to order multiple gini rigs.. I got enough parts to build the ultimate rig ;)

• Wow thats what i call a Rig looks like a Transformer or somthing you have to wear after breaking your leg. Whats the weight of it ?

• @tonalt True. In your setup, one can also place Varavon Lens Support upside-down on the top rails.

BTW, is there just one side bracket on the left? If so, the system might still have too much flex in it. May I suggest a cage with at least two side brackets, either on the same side or opposite each other.

• I think it's also important to secure the camera from top, because the plastic camera body is flexible by itself.

top_secured.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • Okay, I was planning to buy one of the good tripods listed on the deals, because mine is really bad. May be i'll have to weigh it down with sandbags. I thought a whip can eliminate the vibrations but without a good base (i.e tripod) it seems useless.

• Get a heavy/steady tripod/plate/rails.

Other than that, sure all the vibrations will transmit to your optical system, and will be more noticeable on long (telephoto) end.

• @mo7ies : I'm not using any IS, the vibrations come from my hand and the torque I apply to the FF. Basically all the movements you do with your hand aren't 100% steady, i think that's the nature of the vibrations.

• @krotal are you using a lens with IS on? Try turning it off when operating on tripod/FF.

What is the nature of the vibrations anyway, please elaborate?

• Now my image shifting problems had disappear I noticed some vibrations when pulling focus, do you think using a whip can eliminate the vibrations ?

• @krotal that would be great. PM them to me so we don't clutter this thread. Photos of my rig are above for reference.

• @Greek_m43 : I use legacy lenses like yashica ML 50mm that are very similar to FD lenses (in size) and everything fit well on the 30cm rods. I can send you some picture if you want to get an idea.

• @krotal how would it fit everything with that screw on the front of the rig? Everything is really compact with the FD lens setup.

• @Greek_m43 : You should check the Lanparte Baseplate listed on the deals, very very good quality, and comes with two 30cm rods. You seem to have a decent tripod, but don't forget that the stiffness of the legs and head is the key to get stable shots.

• IMHO Jag35 has a rather spotty quality record. Some stuff is OK, some is garbage, so it's a crapshoot. I understand they are trying to deliver at a low price point (usually), but if it doesn't work as intended, then price don't matter... Maybe try reputable Chinese manufacturers either on eBay, or catch Vitaliy's low-price offerings on this forum - which are usually a bit lower than the cheapest eBay price on the same item.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Totally agree. How do you guys feel about Jag35. Seems like everything can fit on there perfectly, just a matter of minimal flexing.

• @Greek_m43

Also try good carbon or alu rods. As ones that come with Indiesystem rigs are flexible as hell.

• @mo7ies Thanks... well the lens support has support from the bottom and the band to go over the top. The FD-m43 adapter is solid, it's the camera base that I have. I just need to find a more solid base that doesn't have any awkward screws in the front and that my camera can get up to the front of the rig.

• Nice rig, thanks for sharing.

Lens support: is that top "varavon" labeled thing a stretchable rubber piece? If so, it's unlikely it will hold the lens in place - you need something completely solid. I'm receiving delivery on the same support tomorrow, hmmmm... time to DIY the top part? :)

On the other hand, with your 50mm lens, why even a need for the support? Does the lens move because of the Nikon-m43 adapter play??

• @mo7ies Here's some photos of the rig. The wiggle is coming from the base, so I just need a new base now.

IMG_9631.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
    IMG_9630.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
    IMG_9632.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
    IMG_9633.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
    IMG_9637.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
    IMG_9638.JPG
    5184 x 3456 - 3M
  • @mo7ies I have the IndiSystem rig, but I got it a long time ago, time to move on. I'll post photos tomorrow when I get to work.

• @Greek_m43 which support did you get and how did you mount it? Please post some pics of your rig, thanks.

• I got the lens support and it helps a little and now I need to get a new camera base. I'm not sure what base to get since the GH2 with Canon FD lenses is small and compact. Right now everything is slammed together; matte box, FF, ans lens support. Any suggestions?

• @Greek_m43 The Varavon lense support solved my shifting problem, thanks for the tip @Vitaliy_Kiselev !