Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • This lens was released on May 2012 and for GH3? About time Panasonic realize a new lens for GH4 -;) cheaper and better i hope.

• @Hallvalla

Please all related to buying to Marketplace or Offtopic.

• @Oedipax

Yes the amount of correction at 12mm should affect resolution on some parts of the image. But if you are still pleased with the results it doesn't matter,

• @RKM I haven't done any scientific tests, and I don't tend to shoot a lot of extremely distortion-critical stuff (like architecture, etc) but I've never noticed any distortion on my 12-35.

Edit: Wow, a lot going on when uncorrected though!

• I shot most of this with the 12-35.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev unfortunately I can't get it on PV deals - 60% import tax here. =/ Will buy in the next USA vacation trip.

• Is the correction at 12mm that good that it behaves comparable to a 28mm on a full frame or a 18mm on aps-c? And does 20mm on the 12-35 with 2.5 cropfactor behave the same as a 50mm normal lens in terms of optical distortion?

[edit] Oh found an answer to my question: http://www.photozone.de/m43/766_pana1235f28?start=1

• I'm planning to buy this lens by the end of the year, but it is out of stock / backordered in a lot of places. It was always the case, or maybe a new version could be on the way?

Same thing happened with 20mm lens, it sometimes was out of stock. Panasonic is quite bad in making any estimation in their business.

You can always get it on PV deals.

• I'm planning to buy this lens by the end of the year, but it is out of stock / backordered in a lot of places. It was always the case, or maybe a new version could be on the way?

• Quick test of Nikon NH-WM75 on 12-35mm and GH4, it makes 12-35mm to 9-26mm F2.8 lens. Say goodbye to 9-18mm F4.0-F5.6 lol

• @MikeA

Here is a example of the jitter effect on my 12-35.

OIS on the Lumix f2.8 zooms is good, but really nothing compares to the OIS on the Leicasonic 14-50mm. No lens distortion fakery either, still the best image quality whenever f3.5 is fast enough:

• @last_SHIFT

Thank you, so it's looks like not a camera problem, you just exchange lens, and no problem after?

• @odessa

Yes exactly like mine - exchange it - that's a bad copy you have.

• @nomad

I don't know. I have just BM Pocket. There is no info about lens firmware.

• Does your lens have the latest firmware?

• @last_SHIFT - my first copy had some weird aperture problem, each time it was powered up it would go all way up to 22 and stay there.

Hmm.. I have the same. After power up, it goes to 22, but then you can change it.. right? maybe it some new rev. of Panasonic bahavie like this. My supplyer assure me it's last new version. )

• @nomad - Well, I have to admit that I didn't test all zoom positions. It might be possible that Panny is making it constant aperture by electronically adjusting and that might influence it. At which zoom position do you observe that behavior?

My test is at NO zoom position. I have the same filling as you, while zooming lens gradually adjusting aperture. And this value that skip at NO zoom will be changed. Like 7.3 will work, but next one skiped and different zoom position.

It's seems like BM has 24 steps of aperture, but my lens able to produce just 20. in total. It will skip some of aperture steps. Still strange that some has it, and some not. I have last firmware on my pocket.

• Mine is fine, but my last one wasn't - my first copy had some weird aperture problem, each time it was powered up it would go all way up to 22 and stay there.

• Well, I have to admit that I didn't test all zoom positions. It might be possible that Panny is making it constant aperture by electronically adjusting and that might influence it. At which zoom position do you observe that behavior?

• @odessa

Mine is fine too.

• @odessa My 12-35mm on Pocket Cam has no such problem. I can set 7.3, 10, 16 and 21 value.

• I'll check for you after a cup of coffee. This lens is on my BMPCC right now.

• @nomad

Thank you. Strange. Friend of mine has the same. Do you use BlackMagic Pocket Camera? So, without zoom you start to encrease stops from 2.8... and hear/see steps for every f value? For me it looks like BM camera has 24 steps from 2.8 to 22. But Panasonic fisicaly can handle just 20 in total, so some stops will be skiped.