Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Risk of owning mirrorless-system lenses
  • I guess there is a native risk of owning mirrorless-system lenses. Forget about resale value.

Oly is about to release new bodies with incredibly fast AF. Faster than GH2!!! Just a month ago I was complaining about Oly's slow shutter lag. But only if newly designed Oly m43 lenses like 12/2.0 and 45/1.8 are used. I wouldn't buy new Oly body since I can't get such fast AF from Panny m43 lenses I own. Resale value of older Oly m43 lenses are expected to nosedive.

I just canceled PL 25 preorder. I heard 14/2.5 price dropped a lot in Asia. It dropped to $340 in the States. Maybe going below $300 soon.
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • As long as it suits you, and as long as µ43 is not dead, the risk is quite low ... I spent 3 to 4k USD in µ43 (GF1, GH1, GH2, 5 lenses), if I sell everything today, I won't lose any money, in 1 year maybe 1k, 2 years maybe 2k, etc.

I spend more money smoking, I think 1k a year to enjoy photo/video is not that much
  • If you have bought them on the dip, the loss could be little or none. I have GH1, GH2, 20.7, 14-42. Total 1.5k. Plus a bunch of legacy lenses. I can break even if I sell them all now. But I'm hesitant in buying more m43 gears. No more small increment upgrades. I quit smoking. No soda. No milk. More cash in my hand.