Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cooperative Effort For Shooting a Documentary
  • Hi Guys, I have an idea I'd like to discuss here. I want to start a documentary project that would tell the story of the Greatest Depression (the current one) through the eyes of ordinary people from all over the world. I'm still writing a pitch, but for now I'd like to ask if there might be other folks interested in joining me. There is no story arc so far, but I guess we may find a way to show how the slowing economy is impacting the lives of peasants in Latin America, workers in Asia, teachers in the US, public employees in Europe. No experts, no talking heads, just raw stories from the ground. All countries are welcome: Brazil, Mexico, China, Greece, Portugal, Italy, USA you name it. Any suggestions, ideas, comments are greatly appreciated. At the early stage of the project I'm planning to edit a 2-3 minutes long promo video which I'm going to pitch to my company's leadership. If they approve it the project (I'm calling it Project Babylon) may get funding. What I may need from those interested is 1 minute of the topic related footage (wide shots, closeups, medium closeups, brief SOTs) from your country. Of course it has to be cinematic and properly framed... and shot with the hacked/unhacked GH2 (or any other DSLR). I haven't yet started doing anything but from all angles I find this idea quite exciting. Please join me if you agree.

in case my previous work is of any relevance, here's the link to my recent documentary

(I've already posted it on p-v.com)

• 60 Replies sorted by
  • Update from Italy, here two picks from my sister.

P1010296.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 652K
    P1010297.JPG
    1280 x 960 - 804K
  • @atticusd Great to see it! Break a leg, guys! But don't break a lens.... :-)

• This is happening for real. Here you have some photos from the first day of shooting. My dad took them with his mobile phone, so don't be so hard, ok?

14072012279.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
    14072012281.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
    14072012294.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    14072012295.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    14072012275.jpg
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
  • @GOODEMPIRE Posted at Babylon, Good Luck.

• @exilenorth what's the problem? email me ksyomin@gmail.com I'll give you the password

• Good footage, Problem getting into Drop Box.

• @exilenorth doesn't matter. unless the footage is good.

• @GOODEMPIRE, does it matter what patch we use? Reason, the new Canis Majoris just came out. Do you have a preference?

• Also, when shooting from a riding car or capturing a quickly moving object it makes sense to be in 720p mode for better detail.

• Great shots received from Argentina, Pakistan and more! Guys, please try to be on a tripod or other sturdy surface. And make your shots 15 seconds long at the minimum. Thanks!!!

Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 11.20.35 AM.png
    1706 x 1018 - 2M
    Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 11.22.33 AM.png
    1906 x 1051 - 2M
  • Perfect, i will begin

• @exilenorth @killout please check our thread. I'll add you so that you can read it.

• interested...italy

• San Francisco In.... exilenorth@comcast.net May 1st?

• @MStaub I need your email. Will add you to both dropbox and our discussion thread

• This project looks very interesting. I'm French and I'm in Paris. I'd love to be a part of this project. If you need me, I'm totally in

• @vic20 I'll add you to the discussion thread and will send you an invite. It's hard to give orders from such a distance. Think creatively and if you can find something there — great. I thought Geneva is where all the oligarchs reside, right?

To everybody. Guys I want to publicly thank our comrade Atticusd for sending in great stuff. One frame I grabbed and want to post here. When such things happen (I don't mean evictions here) they encourage me greatly. I'm sure you will agree.

Screen shot 2012-04-21 at 4.07.43 PM.png
    2184 x 1268 - 2M
  • @goodempire Right now I'm in Geneva for 3 weeks, I'll try and find time to see if I can shoot something here, related to the subject. But unfortunately can't promise, yet.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev So true.

to everybody: thank you guys. I think we have more than 10 people in our boat already. I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't sink. Today I received first 3 shots from Argentina. Kudos to our Argentinian brother Juan Manuel.

Also, May 1 isn't a strict deadline. I think we can shoot some stuff during Mayday protests in case they are scheduled in your area for this year.

• @GOODEMPIRE

Yukio Noguchi, an economist at Waseda University in Tokyo, has called last year’s disaster a chance for Japan to shift to a more supple, service-oriented economy like that in the United States. He says clinging to an outdated manufacturing model also hurt Japan

US economicts are clearly ahead of their buddies by few decades :-) They already destroyed most manufacturing jobs :-)

• That's such a good story. It really is amazing how quickly industrial decline can take over. Japan is a fascinating country I was there filming last year and then at the end of the shoot I stayed on for 2 weeks, the most fascinating holiday I have ever had.

• I think this may be of an interest to all including Vitaly. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/world/asia/amid-manufacturing-decline-japan-weighs-a-reinvention.html

I wish could have a comrade there:)

• I'm in LA if you need somebody out here, I would be interested in helping out with some footage. I have been reading the thread for a couple days, and it looks like a great concept. Also crowdsourced documentaries get me excited!