Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • hou much time you have on 4gb on 24h and HBR 30p?? for sanity 5?

• Sanity 5 does span at 30P - you just need to use a manual third party lens.

• True, just like with everything else :)

And thanks for Sanity v5 - it is great!

Would be perfect if it spanned in 1080p30 on 95MB/s cards - because most commercial work is done in 30p framerate, and with event or even with the interviews, short recording times become an issue...

• @crunchy

Sanity 4.1 and 5 are totally reliable for spanning in 24L if you use Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s cards. I can't speak for other cards. mo7ies has obviously had good success with SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I.

But in the broader picture, cards are a variable we can't control. One person reports success with a given card, another reports problems with the same card. Is there variablility in the manufacturing of these cards? Possibly. Did the person inadvertently buy a counterfeit card? Possibly. We don't know and may never know. All we can do is plow on and find something that works for us.

• @crunchy - yes, with these cards too, you will have to record a short (not spanned) clip at the end before switching the camera off, if you want to continue recording on the same card when you turn the camera back on.

• @mo7ies Yes, SanDisk 45MB/s Extreme edition (the good one with 46MB/s measured speed, not Extreme Pro) is not reliable for spanning. Out of 4 times, two times it did not span in 24L mode when using Sanity 4.1.

@Ralph_B I suppose that Sanity 5 is not more reliable than Sanity 4.1 in 24L mode?

Do 64GB 95MB/s cards have some problems in a sense that you have to make one short clip before switching the camera off? If yes, it might be a problem for me, since I will forget to do that in more than 50% of the cases.

• I have this USB 3.0 Reader: http://goo.gl/Umsyf

• @mo7ies What USB 3 card reader are you using?

• Yes, these particular 64Gb cards are wonderful. I use them almost every day here, zero issues so far. Flawless spanning with Sanity v5 (except for the 1080p30 mode). 1080p24H, no problem - spans forever! Also, affords very fast transfer times, and works great with USB 3.0 readers - which some cards don't play well with, notably Lexar and some Transcends.

• Thanks for the help. I ordered a new card this afternoon and hopefully that'll solve everything. Got the Sandisk 64gb SDXC 95/mbs that @mo7ies suggested.

• @RandyCatanach "I was surprised how well the GH2 with Sanity 5 was able to handle the low light conditions with such clean noise!"

That was one of my goals!

• Yeah that was intentional. I probably shoulda mentioned that! I've noticed it does show up as a stronger blue on some monitors and lighter on others. Not sure how it looked on your monitor but I definitely like how it looks on mine lol. I like to use skate vids of friends to just try out different little things like that. I felt it added to the feeling of the carnival at night. Maybe I won't go so intense next time....haha

Anyway, I decided to post it here though because I was surprised how well the GH2 with Sanity 5 was able to handle the low light conditions with such clean noise!

• Very strong blue tint in the dark areas?

• Shot this in HBR mode with Sanity 5. Very satisfied with the results! Canon FD 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4; Vivitar 35mm 2.8; Peleng 8mm

• From what I researched... just because the card says Class 10, it won't sustain the recording bandwidth required to span some hacks. Specifically, Transcend and Lexar do not seem to be very good for our particular purpose, which is spanning on GH2. Further, most SanDisk cards won't safely span either, even when they say 45MB/s. The only card I found so far that absolutely safely spans in 24H (and in 720p60) in Sanity v5 is this: http://goo.gl/gbQf4

• @tl2bass My Transcend 32GB class 10 did not span for Sanity 4.1 in 24L mode. It usually spans with 45MB/s 32GB Sandisk Card.

• @Ralph... yes, I used 24H. I will use 24L from here on out if I stick with this current card. I will look into a faster card now so I'm not crippled in the future. Thanks for the info, everyone!

• I used to own this Zeiss 100mm Makro lens (Nikon version), which is considered one of the best: http://goo.gl/uSThT The lens was OK. However, I disliked ugly coma it produced on night lights, so I sold it. Maybe CP.2 video lenses by Zeiss are better, I don't know.

• As for me the video in sunny days I prefer to shoot by manual zeiss lenses, but I couldn't do this macro without stabilesed lense with no tripod ...

• Ah, so the lens was stabilized. Again, great shots! Yes, stock 14-42 is very good, except... did you notice crazy romb-like flaring on sunny days in certain situations?

• @mo7ies Thanks, I was suprised in 14-42 kit lenses macro capabilities in tele2 mode and usual one . Some was shooting by handmade monokle lens. On body 24H 25-50-or100 exposure S mode ISO avto and sanity5 of course :-))

• @yaros - which lenses were used, and what settings? Great macro shots!

• The shooting with sanity5 GH2 24H mode. Some trembling without tripod to my sorry

• My camera spans very reliably in 24H mode. Just use the right card, 64Gb 95MB/s spans perfectly with GH2 and Sanity v5 in 24H and 720p60 modes. Made very long videos, so far up to 5hrs straight, without a hitch! I bought my two cards here: walkingad.com/#SDXC

• @tl2bass

You need to use 24L for spanning. Sounds like you used 24H.