Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Final Cut X topic, moving to ARM and vlogging
  • 405 Replies sorted by
  • Just updated AJA drivers. Better, but still not client-ready. Audio out of sync on 23.98 out to monitor.

Still have to quit FCPX to change output of K3 card. Nuisance, but hopefully that will get fixed as updates happen.

High Quality caused picture and audio to stutter on any frame rate. Ai yai yai.

• @soundgh2 i'm thinking about building a Hackintosh. How is all your software, including FCPX running on it? How was the process for putting it together? Which equipment did you decide on?

• No 43 rumours but Apple chum reckons Mac Pro gone, FCPX dumbed to app - hey who knows - having poached Dixons MD anything's possible! Not worried - perfected me Hackintosh Pro Tools build so much faster than my Mac Pro !

• I am curious if you all think this Apple FCPX strategy will also be true with hardware as far as apple abandoning the "pro" market. Are Macbook Pro laptops for example, going to all be wiped out eventually?..

• Initial tests with broadcast monitoring using AJA Kona 3 are not looking promising. That said, AJA have not yet released updated drivers. Patiently waiting. :-|

• I hope I won’t have to rebuild all the titles in my old projects. I’ve already done it twice (10.0.1 and 10.0.2).

Also:

—Assigns default audio channel setting for new projects to stereo.

Finally!

• WoW holy shit: "Adds a Share option for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices."!!! this things Rocks \m/

I sense sarcasm there ;) Reminds me of when people were complaining about Logic 8 updates and how apple wasn't fixing the outstanding bugs or adding clearly missing features, but instead was adding absolutely essential sound effect files and loops like "Brontosaurus Wail".

That said, i look forward to " improves overall stability, performance, and compatibility". have had to restart FCPX way to many times because it either ate all my memory and slowed the whole machine (including itself) to a crawl, or just stopped playing back anything at all.

• My first impression is that it feels faster. Thumbnails seem to render faster and loading and playing clips feels smoother. I guess the next update will launch in June, will be called 10.1 and will be the first paid upgrade. Most likely, they will introduce some new features in that release. I am content with that.

I am curious though what Avid and Adobe will show at NAB.

• WoW holy shit: "Adds a Share option for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices."!!! this things Rocks \m/

• 10.0.4 just released. Official release notes are up: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4589

Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.4 improves overall stability, performance, and compatibility including: Improves image quality and responsiveness of broadcast monitoring with compatible third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices. Improves performance of multicam syncing and editing. Adds language support for Simplified Chinese. Adds a Share option for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices.

Final Cut Pro version 10.0.4 also addresses the following issues: Assigns default audio channel setting for new projects to stereo. Includes multicam metadata in XML project export. Fixes an issue in which video superimposed over a background with an alpha channel could appear differently in Viewer before and after render. Fixes an issue that caused some titles to be rendered again after each application launch.

• Well, the Mac Pro (and any tower PC) is slowly losing its relevance. With Thunderbolt, you don’t really need four internal HD bays or PCI slots. And who needs optical drives nowadays? So you can easily strip it down to a CPU + GPU (which can also be replaced with an outboard graphics processor via the same Thunderbolt interface).

• It is obvious that Apple will abandon the pro market, because the Simplicity concept has won$$$ the market, and why to bother with pro users lets reinvent things and make the people so dam stupid that they do not need to think at all!

example, Apple did not update for two years the Mac Pro workstation and in that time they have launch four series of new iMac

• One day Tim Cook would introduce The New FCP.

• @alcomposer you asked me awhile ago to give you an update after I finished editing my project with X. I know I'm not the first one to say this, but I definitely won't be using X on another professional project for quite some time. It was just way too buggy and not feature-rich enough. I really need stable broadcast output. The current beta iteration of that implementation is just unusable.

I also got hit with the undo bug, the audio bug, and the "not-showing-up-on-canvas-bug." I expected all these and knew when to quit and what the workarounds were. But the fact that they are there is reason enough not to use it for a paying gig.

I need to be able to edit split audio tracks on the storyline. It's too convoluted to open each clip in a timeline to turn off and on segments of channels. I can work around the trackless environment, but I need to see my channels easily.

A big gripe for me is that setting in and out points (or ranges as they are now called) don't stick and they are also not undoable or re-doable. It's very frustrating to find precise in and out points when skimming and you can lose them easily if you're not careful where the mouse pointer is located. It's just kind of a jumble.

Lastly, the lack of a viewer monitor is just crazy. I really needed the viewer to compare shots and use to match action. It's really quite a loss not to have the viewer and something I cannot do without. This is one of those things that annoys me to no end that Apple removed this from the program. It makes no sense and just comes off arrogant.

Ok, deep breath. I have, however, decided that FCPX is good for a few things. Mainly, quick rough-cut edits shot on DSLR. It's really good for that. There's a reason why it was originally called "First Cut." You can see how easy it is to very quickly log a lot of footage and skimming and favoriting clips is very easy (albeit not without its faults). I really love logging and organizing footage in it. Too bad there's so much missing at this time. But as I said above, I don't think I'm saying anything new about X at this point.

• just a little post,

I have worked two days ago on one project for 6 hours, and spend other two days for recovering my work from the same corrupted project, this is how professional the FCX

auto save is automated, and has only one version of the project, even that you can not control when do you want to save backup, so the auto save vault is a history, embrace the new final cut vision and get over with it, if you work on long time project be prepare to do it from the begging when ever the Final cut wants you to do,

besides that he is fast and smart I think that he is also emotional, he probably saw my posts against him!!! so beware

here is my final thought on new final cut "PRO": http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-remove-the-word-pro-from-the-new-final-cut-pro-x#

happy editing, and do not forget to buy some other apple products like the time machine hard drive or what else

• @THX1965 try total adjustment of RgbHouse http://rgbhouse.com/?p=74 This is a text layer that redirects all adjusments to your clips below. Great!!

• I'm really keeping my hopes up that they fix the paste effects issue. What would be amazing is if they could create a "paste specific" or "remove specific" dialogue box so you can just remove one effect or paste one effect from a clip that might have several effects.

• @Mr_Moore

"command option v" in FCP X does indeed paste effects onto a clip, but it pastes ALL EFFECTS from one clip to the next and OVERWRITES EVERYTHING, including audio levels and keyframes! Pretty stupid and useless. FCP 7 lets you selectively add effects to clips and doesn't erase everything that's been on that clip before. I am sure the Apple FCP team will add that really major FCP 7 feature to X. I am just puzzled that it wasn't included in v1.0.

• @5thwall @THX1965 @CurtisMack thanks for the advices, I have wacom stylus and helps a lot, but sometimes precision works demands use of mouse

• @THX1965

how about "copy/paste attributes"?!?!?!?!

Command-Option-V

• @oneday - get a trackpad. Until Apple comes up with a wonderful touch screen machine like the Sony L all in one, the trackpad will save your hands.

• @THX1965 thank you for that. for example, i have a client who literally barks at me while i'm working. it must be done at that moment (no matter how much i bark back, it always remains the same). we've worked together for a long time and we have a very specific system. i showed him fcpx today and he was just like, "no."

for me to be able to use the software professionally, i have to start it slow and with new clients with no prior experience with me. also, i have to put fcpx through it's paces. i read the creativecow forums like i would read the newspaper. i'm constantly seeing what other people's issues are and staying up to date with what's been fixed. i made my career in fcp legacy by being a go-to resource, and i plan on continuing that. although now i have to add premiere and avid to the mix. i refuse to have a session where my answer to a client is "no."

on a side-note, a few people have been talking about edius 6 and how stable it is. i watched some demos. it seems like a hybrid of fcp legacy and avid. i'm curious. as such, i'm thinking about having one PC system in the office. i can build one for as much as a new fully configured imac. time will tell on that, though.