Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GF2 footage topic
  • 146 Replies sorted by
  • @Ebacherville carry speed viewfinder is totally fine ($27?), easy to grip it on and holds firmely, comes with two iron frames to attach on the lcd screen, so I use it on both GF2 and GH2, for the GF2 a viewfinder is a must, especially with the Costa Rican sun (I am shooting a few docs here)

Anybody heard something from VK about manual settings plans?

• VK did mention in a thread, when asked about manual controls, that it is on the list of things to get done. I'm really excited to see what people can do with these little cameras and manual controls.

• trying a modified GOLGOP3-13 from bkmcwd on a 45Mbps Extreme card. In some instances, bitrate was 8 megabytes per second.

GF2_AVC1080i60_indoor.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GF2_AVC1080i60_outdoor.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    GF2AVC1080i60.png
    734 x 384 - 35K
  • pdlumina, looking good what was modified?

• Yooo,,,

Is it only the gf2 that is hacked?

Could not find anything about gf3 hacks??

Thanks.

• flaschus, yes GF3 has been hacked with the latest release of pTools.. has a few differences but shoots the same quality of video as the GF2.

People are testing various patches and configurations for the GF3 in this thread, thus it is hacked. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2713/gf3-stable-settings-topic#Item_90

• @ebacherville

thank u! couldnt seem to find that one, lol...

one more QUESTION... does the gf2/3 footage get 60i wrapper like the gh1

or

can it shoot progressive? thanks!

• @pdlumina of all the versions you've tried, what is the best? you can put on line the GOLGOP3-13 modified by you, Sunday or Monday I go out to take shots ... thanks!

• @Ebacherville & @maxmizer I believe I changed the B-frames scaling tables, the Motion-JPEG bitrate for 1280x720p30, and the bitrate/frame size for 480 (960x720p30 4x3 HBR, scales down beautifully for SD xvideos). Also took out GH2-specific settings.

I think I've maxed the quality that I can pull out of the GF2 with the stock lens.

I'll attach a similar (but newer) settings (with samples) file after work.

• @flaschus, the GF2/3 are 1080 30p

• Thanks, Ebacherville. I forgot about this thread here (for me still it's a bit confusing here on personal-view and I don't really know to "follow" my threads and postings). Anyway: many thanks for your advices on CCTV lenses. Sounds really good.

So far my experience is taht the Fujian 35mm f1.7 is way more a "quaility product" than my other 25mm f1.4. I guess I should get some decent results with the 35 f1.7. OK; I'm watching out for this Tamron 4-12mm F1.2 but I guess it might be a little hard to find one. Well, I'll see what I can get.

edit: Nice footages here:

• @MountainKing @ebacherville 4-12 mm tamron could be very interesting on GF2 with ETC (x3.1zoom): it reaches 12-36 mm (24-75 mm eq), a very fast zoom; only weakness: it's parafocal, however it' so fast that you can imagine it just as a "micro set" of good primes! ;) I think it could be a real "all-able" alternative to 14-42 kit lens if you are not interested in autofocus and multifocal zoom ;)

• The only thing I use my Tamron 4-12mm for is wide shots in average indoor lighting .. its so fast you don't need any lighting for wide shots. it is varifocal so no zooming while shooting but you really dont see that much anyway.. if you want that get a b4 eng lens with a power zoom... becuse that is made for exactly that style of shooting .

I just bought a Tamron 4-12mm from a online spy/security dealer, new for about $70, just found it through google shopping feature... that is the second 4-12mm I've modded now, easy mod. Just dremmel the outside edge of the lens case down so it fully seats in the c mount adapter.. that part is removable if your worried about hitting the lens.

• | 40 sec of ducks. gf2 + flowmotion 1.11, sandisk 8gb 30mb/s, kit lens 14 2.5, handheld, iA, "out of the box footage". 1080i. bitrate: 50+ mb/s. replay and editing work fine. grass seems to be a problem. it shows that a lot of detail is lost, it is fuzzy and smudgy. probably a tripod would have reduced that. or manual settings?

vlcsnap-2012-05-11.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
  • Some footage

• More footage

• humpman, what patch are you using? Good story telling also , visually kept me interested.

• @humpman Very good work!What lens have you used in "Forgot"?

• @Ebacherville @AlbertZ thanks, lens: 14mm 2.5 kit, helios 44m-7, jupiter 37A. With this settings

• Someone could share some footage with tamron 4-12 mm and little GF2? I can find only gh2 footage on the net...

• Driftwood Orion V4 GF2 14-42 KIT

• @kirankdwd , amazing, ND filter ?

• No ND ,Used exposure compensation