Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hacked GF2 footage topic
  • 146 Replies sorted by
  • I was meaning the "SetF" patch - yes. I am doing my outdoor shooting at "magic hour" to make things look more filmic.

• @mrjoshua , @AlbertZ , thank you ! It is, of course, all handheld. I was shooting 1080p25 & downscale to 720p. In 720p it looks better. I bought the GF2 in addition to the GH2 to keep the 12mm Olympus on it. Maybe I'll post a test with the 12mm which is very sharp & fully automatic.

• @PhilMyself handheld??? Great news! I' ve seen lots of video on vimeo "shaky" with rolling shutter (I got the impression that rolling shutter is more evident on G- sensor than GH-) so I lost any hope of using a handheld GF2 for video...really a pity since it's a so little camera! however I don't think that it 's an improvement due to hack...

• so many settings! I'm out of Sanity and into the GF2 cake. Levels and CC

gf2-cake.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 447K
  • Decided to try out my anamorphic with GF2 and my Canon EF 50mm 1.8II. A nice try on my part, using the eoshd anamorphic patch.

• As for the sample footage that is handheld and shakey.. I hate that, Put It On A Tripod People, or even a flash bracket, a hunk of wood, or something.. get your hands away from the camera.. I tried seeing how "jellloy" the GF2 was in this video.. it was on a tripod but I was just whipping it around.. it is not bad at all.. My CMOS based pro panny sholder mount ENG style 1/3" at work has about the same jello wise.. about 40 seconds in is when I was whipping it around. The rest was on a tripod stationary. Unless you testing the jello effect there is no need to be moving a camera around like this. Even the "shakey cam look" isn't as shaky as whats out on youtube etc. That pro "shakey cam handheld look" actually takes lots of practice to get right and also is usually with a big shoulder mount camera, it has got to be shaky yet not disturbingly so. I was disgusted with the opening of "the hunger games", if I want to see ugly shaky cam footage I'll not pay a full price ticket to see it, I'll go on youtube.

• How do I know If I successfully hacked my GF2?

• @Ebacherville, thanks for the scolding, lol ;) I was testing with the eoshd patch anamorphic and was carried away, not knowing that I needed the tripod. Here's one I did with the tripod on Easter.

I tried the Mysterion patch, but it just freezes/shuts down my camera, so I decided to go back to pvdog's

• Looks great JayB38! Great footage! I can see the details , because its not flashing across my screen in a blur :D That wasn't really meant to be mean.. but really, what good is test footage if you cant see the details.. that is what most of the bitrate hacks are for, more detail.. However any video uploaded to a service that re-encodes it its just for reference. because the source always is better.

Motion like the pans is good to show motion details.. it is odd, some patches are very 24p film like and "framy" and others are very smooth, like video when panning. Kind of cool if your looking for a certain look of your video that you can pick a different patch and its more "framy" and film like.. I noticed this between Sedna and Mysteron a bit on the GF2.. but both really HQ pictures, just a slightly different feel from each. "Framy" is a lousy word but I think gets the mental image across of that film look I'm talking about.

What card are you using that Mysteron would not work? I was using cheap 16gb class 10 Transcend, worked great with Mysteron and Sedna both Q20 and AQ1, I've been happy with those cards so far for a cheap card for the GF2. Sedna is also nice on the GF2 but as with Mysteron , no spanning.

I also went back to PVdog for spanning, then switched to Flowmotion.. that spanned also on the Transcend class 10.. basically I'm pretty happy with the quality of both for spanning patches.. What I plan on doing is getting some cheap slow small cards and just putting patches on them and use them as "patch cards" if I need higher quality and dont needs spanning I'll just flash it with the patch I want. Now I just need a way to tag the camera after its flashed so I know what flash is on it at the time.. However, with this I do wonder how many times you can reflash your camera before it degrades the memory?

• @Ebacherville - it's all good. I'm beginning to enjoy the DSLR thing, it's all quite new to me. I hope to get all my gears for my GF2 (the ND filters we mentioned/a decent mount adapter with an aperture iris ring; and a nice rig).

I'm using the PNY Class 10 8GB, maybe that's the issue since I went for less in GB. They had a 16GB Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card at Best Buy on sale for $15, but they jacked up the price before I can purchase it; I was bummed out. So I had to get what I can afford at the moment. Been keeping my fingers crossed, but been amazed at what the camera can do being it refurbished and all.

• Hey @JayB38 Sorry to bother, but I was wondering How do I know If I successfully hacked my GF2? Your help would be appreciated

• @itscehris use Streamparser or MediaInfo and load a newly recorded MTS. If the bitrate doesn't go above 17Mbps or so, then your hack has failed or you haven't loaded a custom patch into the hack.

• itscehris, if it went through the firmware update process it should have worked.. look at your bitrate of you recorded files on your computer, are the higher than stock? I guess that works only if you changed bit-rates.. Really it looks identical to stock on the camera. but you should be able to tell by higher than stock bitrates if you changed that.. thus why most people apply the hack/patches..

• thank you @Ebacherville I successfully hacked my GF2 for the first time..I will be shooting some footage tomorrow to test it out..thanks for all the responses

• what are the best settings for saving by vegas pro... best way... I put on-line tests that do

• Does anyone know how to "embed" a Vimeo vid on here? Do you have to have a "pro" account?

• just post the url, same works with youtube

• FILM LOOK on GF2. This is the higher quality Vimeo version of "film-like" footage I took on GF2 using the PVDOG patch. There is no color correction or grading. Just assembled together. Take a look!-

• Good job @AndyS. I can't seem to upload my vids on Vimeo to save my life. Here's another test I did on YouTube:

• On Sandisk extreme 45MB/s

041512_gf2_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 327K
    041512_gf2_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 364K
    041512_gf2_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 263K
    041512_gf2_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 178K
    041512_gf2_5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 306K
  • PDlumina, what patch settings are you using for the above footage, looks good!

• Just noticed compression artifacts on one of the screenshots.. it comes from re-compressing to JPEG. @Ebacherville Sanity5 modified for GF2 and custom settings. See attached.

Monster I frames, low bitrate and very acceptable image quality. Still.. I'm not exactly happy with the PB-frames bitrate distribution, so I'll see if I can do something about it.

seta.ini
  • Thanks, pdlumina, just saw Sanity 5 was just released.. thanks for the GF2 build.