Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 5D Mark III topic
  • 240 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy has mentioned here before:

Canon is doing only thing they could. They must not show crowd that days of DSLRs are counted.And worse, they must not show simple fact that all lines of lenses will require total change.<

It's maybe time to quit the EF-mount. I will be loughing to death if Canon motherfuckers screw their own clients for fourth time in only 40 years and introduce the very new mount which isn't compatible with their own brand older lenses. After RF days were counted and SLRs with FL mount were introduced, only few years later Canon switches to FD mount and FL lenses didn't fit to FD bodies anymore. Few years later, the new EF mount was introduced and again, it was uncompatible with FD lenses. Canon seems to belive that people who work hard to earn their money will tolerate their stupid politics forever. Please nobody should try to convince me it wasn't possible to make compatible mounts.

Long live mirrorless and its using of just all the old lenses ever made.

• I'm more then bit disappointed with Canon QA process. My first 5d3 had few bad pixels now the second body's CF slot stopped working. Talking about bad luck :-/ !

• Well...I have a GH1 hacked and preordered the GH3 ( nobody knows if we ll get our GH3 one day...) but , this video right here is the first video that made me consider the jump to the FF world ... AMAZING !

• @labalbi: Not looking to pick up a fight. One man's treasure is another's garbage. I am interested though in what you find amazing/fascinating about it, if only to get an inside view on your thought process, and better serve my clients should I run into one with similar values.

For me there are three serious weaknesses with the footage; do you find them strengths?

a) - Excessive DoF leading to loss of perspective

b) - Blown out highlights leading to loss of detail

c) - Excessive softness leading to surreal feeling (with tech consequences like being unfit for the big screen)

• @radikalfim ...course man ...I am not the one of those guys here that love a brand ...I love my wife and kids he he ...no fight ...good discussion is always good...

About the movie...you know, something about the color and the boket , and yes, I love the softness and the surreal feeling ...its a kinda of artistic to me.... I know that every FF user boosts that "Hey , micro 4/3 users , you CANT achieve such DOF with your small sensor cameras "...and I know too that in real life no one wants to watch a movie with such background blurred all the time in all takes ...its just annoying ...

but there's is something I could not tell what it is ...dont know if it is the framerate , the shutter speed he used ...or the superb color grading

I am being very sincere here ....this one made me wonder about selling all my micro 4/3 and jump to 5D III. But when I think the compromise in terms of price/weigh ...I know I wont make that jump ...but this movie was a mind twister ...

Every day in my Vimeo feed via Flipboad I watch a lot of GH3 movies ...could not find a single one near this one ...maybe the people are not able yet to produce such look , or maybe GH3 shooters are obsessed with the "tack sharp" images ...

But thank you to add such value comments ...

• @labalbi: much as I figured already, it the "surrealism" that trips you guys really. It probably has to do with how one's brain is wired...we're all different, but we do belong to "tribes", and within that tribe, there is a narrow range of appreciation of what makes right or wrong. Waxing philosophical here...

Wrt FF users boasting "na na na you can't have my DoF" the m43/Academy tribe goes "why would I ever want that aesthetic? It's like so flawed it hurts..."

There is no middle ground, we just need to be aware and accepting of the differences in appreciation. I will likely offer options to clients - they're not aware of why they like what they like, they just react.

• too little too late i'm afraid

• Love to know the details....

• what he says at the end.

• Well that's it or me, the 5D is going on ebay tonight. A sharp S35 crop mode possibility was the only reason I held out this long.

• Hi i have vmount battery that powered my gh2 and works quite well. the output is 9.2v I bought a 5dmark3 and would like to use this vmount on it. Is 9.2v too high for the 5d? a fully charged canon battery is around 8.4v, would it damage the camera if i try to plug it to 9.2v?

Thanks

• one other thing. The original battery grip can use 6 AA battery so it should output 1.5v x6 = 9v so my guess is that it should work... but it's just a guess, and if i'm wrong it's an expensive ''guess''

• Hey does anyone know it you can take a RAW still while recording video?

• New firmware

Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.

1. Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
    2. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
    3. Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
    4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
    5. Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
    6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
    7. Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
    8. When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "O" will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "X" will be displayed.
    9. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
    10. Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
    11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
    12. Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
    13. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
    14. Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.

http://support-au.canon.com.au/P/search?model=EOS%205D%20Mark%20III&filter=0&menu=Download

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev As a registered 5D MK III user it amuses me that I find out about the release here rather than from Canon !

• 15 Unable to fix:other companies releasing better specs for cheaper prices.

:)

• Another 5D film. Box office takings in America are already at $4million for the film 'Francis Ha' shot entirely on Canon 5D with the Technicolor CineStyle picture profile albeit in black and white. Proving once again its not the equipment - its the story (the aesthetic grainy look of h264 can often look like 16mm film). It doesn't look like my kinda film but Im interested enough to go watch it later today.

http://www.c2meworld.com/creation/using-the-canon-5d-to-capture-frances-ha/

• my newest work with my Canon 5D Mark III

• my latest work with the canon 5D Mark III

• Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark III.

Firmware Version 1.2.3 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

1. Fixes a phenomenon in which the flash may not fire depending on the timing of when the shutter button is pressed.
    2. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF microadjustment value may change.*
    3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may show a line of false color along boundaries of high contrast.
    4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the histogram of a LiveView image is incorrectly displayed when an HDMI cable is connected.
    5. Enables the brightness of the camera’s LCD monitor to be adjusted even when an HDMI cable is connected.

The new Firmware Version 1.2.3 can be downloaded at http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware