Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV Telegram channel! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

• m43 sensor with native 4096 x 2160 resolution sized sensor
    • Active MFT mount
    • 12-bit RAW cinema 4K 60fps and full HD at up to 120fps
    • 13 stops Dynamic Range
    • dual native ISO up to 25,600
    • external RAW recording
    • 12-bit CinemaDNG RAW and 10-bit Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
    • Standard open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as 10-bit ProRes and 12 bit RAW.
    • Built-in 5" LCD touchscreen allows accurate focus when shooting 4K.
    • LCD supports on-screen overlays including status, histogram, focus peaking, and transport controls.
    • Records 4K images at up to 60 frames per second and windowed HD at up to 120 frames per second.
    • 3D LUTs can be applied for both monitoring and recording.
    • Blackmagic OS as used in URSA Mini and URSA Broadcast cameras.
    • Standard sized HDMI
    • USB-C expansion port allows longer duration recording directly to an external SSD or flash disk.
    • Canon LP-E6N or locking DC12 volt power connection
    • SD/UHS-II and CFast slots
    • Bluetooth wireless camera control
    • 3.5mm audio jack and headphone jack
    • Professional mini XLR input with 48 volts of phantom power for connecting to pro microphones.
    • Available in September 2018 (more like 2019)
    • Carbon fiber polycarbonate composite body which makes it lightweight, portable and durable.
    • Multi-function grip for quick access to recording start/stop, still photos, ISO, shutter, aperture, white balance, power and more.
    • Supports remote camera control via Bluetooth.
    • Comes with free Resolve 15 Studio
    • Product page - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera
    • $1250

sa2642.jpg
    800 x 482 - 64K
    sa2643.jpg
    800 x 470 - 56K
    sa2644.jpg
    800 x 423 - 46K
  • 410 Replies sorted by
  • Zacuto Cage

• It makes sense if you compare the numbers of UM46P sold against the Pocket 4K. I'm sure we'll know after NAB, everybody will struggle to get results for that point in time.

• @caveport

Atomos agreement is fact, I heard about Apple agreement from multiple guys and everyone can see results.

BM raw design is also obviously made much worse than it could be in attempt to go around the patents.

• So, only speculation with no real information? "If" is a very big word in this context.

• @caveport

I know. But settlement payment will be dramatically different if issues happen before widening to BMPCC4K.

• BRaw has been released on the Ursa Mini, just not added to the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K yet.

• @nomad

Some people I talked with tell that BM is afraid to release Braw for now due to legal issues with RED.
    I think that recent agreement with Atomos does not add optimism, same as secret agreement with Apple before it.
    RED is quickly becoming Rambus of camera world.

• While BRaw is still missing, I appreciate that they take on the flaws first.

Some are reporting problems with ProRes, though.

• New update v6.1

• Added support for pixel remapping in camera
    • Added 2:1 monitoring frame guide
    • Improved media formatting user interface
    • Improved audio monitoring latency performance
    • Improved auto focus performance
    • Improved signal to noise ratio performance of camera internal microphone
    • Improved power efficiency for improved battery life
    • Improved 3.5mm audio input selection interface
    • Improved AV sync performance
    • Fixed an issue where time and date is not updated on camera when connected to the Blackmagic Camera Setup utility
    • Fixed an issue where the 3.5mm audio input level is 6dB lower than expected
    • Fixed an auto focusing issue with Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens
    • Fixed an issue where some USB-C external SSDs were not detected when connected before camera is powered up
    • Fixed an issue where some batteries might shut off earlier than expected
    • Fixed an issue where low battery indicator is not displayed appropriately
    • Fixed an issue with camera not being detected by host computer when connected to certain USB ports
    • Updated dynamic range and ISO chart in user manual

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/professional-cameras

• Audio features

• Smart people

Get Chinese M.2 to USB case + cheap SSD, even not change cable to proper one, add simple hot shoe holder and resell.

512Gb SSD in Japan will be $263.
    Retail cheap Chinese M.2 512GB SSD is $78, case+cable around $15, custom holder - ala $3, plus assembly. Let's make it $100 (if you get wholesale it'll be around $85-90).
    So, $163 is the small margin Japanese guys live on. Even if we get really top brand SSD and 3.1 Gen 2 NVME case it'll be more than $100 margin compared to simple separate buy.

• It would be cool if Blackmagic had made more than 7 of these cameras...

• another review:

• @Mckinise

OK, I'll need to look for options.

• Thank you. Yes, I started early that morning and uploaded that Evening. I think it was finished at finished at 6 and online by 8. We have another one that we're doing for the winter holidays. So that's why I'm looking for some type of Wireless set up or at the very least an external monitor.

• Not bad for having only a few hours to shoot and edit!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Most likely a cheap consumer HDMI transmitter/receiver. I was recently a part of a Halloween themed one person cast/crew competition. We had to write, produce, act, and edit a short film. I had just gotten the BMPCC4k so I decided to give it a go.

That was what prompted me to make the Image App video. I didn't have an external monitor and I had only a few hours to shoot and edit my entry. I had the camera and a tripod. I used a tape measure and a dust pan to get my shots in reasonable focus.

Debated whether I should put this up.

• Pity that BlackMagic don't yet support NVMe... :-(

Will checkout the links if BM roll out support... (Apart from PC use, need to get an M.2 compatible MB first)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

MX500 1TB Review: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/crucial-mx500-1tb-m-2-ssd-review,1.html

It is really interesting why USB 3.10 NVME enclosures work not so good with BMCC 4K.

I think that Atomos had the same issue, (I don't know if its fixed now?)