Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RJ Follow Focus, looks very good
  • 187 Replies sorted by
  • >So I forgive Vitaliy for forcing me to buy the GH1 eyecup that I hated and didn't work on my Gh2.

I kind of doubt that you can blame me on this one. :-)
  • My follow focus arrived today, I got it from Alibaba. It's really nice and a steal for $150. Build quality quite good. And they give you a free lens air brush. The only other FF I've used is Red Rock, and this one compares to it.

So I forgive Vitaliy for forcing me to buy the GH1 eyecup that I hated and didn't work on my Gh2.
  • is there anybody bought from uk ebay seller?
    I am not sure , do I have to pay custom tax to europa if i order from China.
  • I got mine today. My first impressions are that it's OK and will be better in use than the Indifocus, etc.

The plastic parts are molded, not machined. I somehow expected everything to be machined, although it doesn't make much difference really. The blue area you see inside the knob is actually a soft plastic sticker. Not really sure what purpose it serves other than for looks.

A number of the descriptions mentioned "rubber" grip, but this seems to be "hard" rubber, like an LP record is made from, or it could simply be a plastic of some kind. Either way, it's molded and hollow, not solid and machined. Same for the white marking surface. It's a bit slick and my grease pencil doesn't really leave much of a mark on it. A dry erase marker is needed for this surface. Also, since the unit is hollow, any movement, touching, etc, makes that hollow plastic sound, which is a lot louder than you think on a quiet set..

The best part of the whole thing is the gearing. It's very precise. There is NO play in the gears, which are metal. The grease is a little thick and dampens the gears fairly heavily. It's not hard to turn but it's not easy either. The worst thing by far is the reversible gear setup. It's extremely loose and flops around. I had to bend the fingers of the shaft a little bit just to get it to stay inside the outer shaft. Even then, it has a huge amount of play, more so than the Huco gearbox of the Indifocus and it's cheap clones.

The rail mount assembly is very nicely machined and finished. It's not rough at all and the edges are rounded, unlike a number of the cheap-o follow focuses around.

So far, I'm impressed with the unit. It's not as grand as some of the reviews have led me to believe but it's a step ahead of what has been offered in it's price range before. If someone can address the floppiness of the shaft on the reversible gear assembly as well as the hollow noise that it makes, then this would make this the clear winner of all low priced follow focuses.

I have some thin self adhesive teflon so I might try to shim the shaft of the reversible gear to tighten it up. If this succeeds, I'll post the results here.
  • I got one too, already have a Dfocus so will compare and post back
  • Hi,

i have this Followfocus but the rotational direction doesn't fit my needs.
    Anyone know if it's possible to change this? an example:
    if i spin the wheel counter-clock-wise the focus point is coming to me, but i want that the focus point is going away from me. hope you understand :)

greetings
    Marcus
  • I have it on a Manfrotto 701HD head and it fits with no problems, tight. If you mount the handles very close to the rig, they might get in the way of some knobs or handles of your tripod, but normal setup should be good for any tripod(head).
  • How well does the rod rig attach to a tripod (like the WF 717)?
  • That's great ed_lee83!
    For the rail rod system, I received mine today, first impression is good. You really have to tighten the knobs to have everything sturdy and solid after setting it up, but then it feels quite rugged. I was a bit worried about the clamps but they seem solid. The rig is not built for eternity, no highest quality stuff of course, but also far from being cheap. RJ follow focus fits great.
  • @chip et al.
    OK, so I just wrapped some blue tack (at least that's what we call it in UK/Ireland) around the crank to beef it up. Works great since blue track sticks as well.
    But yeah, so much for standardisation!!
  • @ed_lee83

So no standard size and no crank to fit it so far? Maybe they plan on selling their own but it's strange they haven't offered one already or at least tell an option?!
  • Can anyone who as the rod system do a review of it? Or do you know of anyone that has done a review? How does it compare to others?
  • @chip and others
    I bought that crank I mentioned two posts above me and it *does not fit* - it needs a slightly bigger plug. Now I have no idea which size works because my previous arri/red rock crank was too big..
  • Thanks ed_lee83!!
  • @chip
    My speed cranks and whips I had for Redrock/Chrosziel etc etc do not fit in this one.. too small. The port on this one is exactly square shaped. I think this one fits? http://cgi.ebay.com/Speed-Crank-Follow-Focus-Set-DSLR-5D2-7D-D90-550D-/260787120992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb81fab60
  • @brianluce

Moral - do not wait too long.
  • So the Alibaba price is now around $166, but if you email them they will bring it down to $150.
  • @brianluce

Yes, it's the same. That link is in the first post.
  • Is this the same FF? If so, is there an advantage over ebay? There price is better at this link if it's the same, http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/464629045-DSLR-Follow-Focus-FF-for-15mm-rod-support-60D-600D-5D2-camera-DV-HDV-wholesalers.html
  • Has anyone tried to use a whip crank with it? I read that it doesn't have a standard sized mount, can anyone confirm that?
  • >How about a 58 year old Grandfather that spends far too much money on camera gear??

I am worried for libido of some members after that but otherwise it'll do.
  • @Vitaliy

I'll leave that for Zacuto .... How about a 58 year old Grandfather that spends far too much money on camera gear?? :-)
  • I ordered from Chinese ebay seller 'selina1900' on 22nd of June and it arrived today - I live in Germany, so that's super fast shipping! Packaging wasn't that good but the FF survived the journey without being harmed and it comes with two gears - so far it looks very good. I also ordered the rail rig, from another seller, but it has yet to come - I doubted that it is of good quality but am happy that you (Rambo) say it feels ok.
  • @Rambo

Any chance to see video of the rig with beautiful girl holding it? Naked may be? :-)
  • Got my FF finally, along with the Rail Rig and 2 gears, all up $250, bargain. Loving the Rail Rig, it allows me to arrange the handles so i can access all the top buttons on the Gh1 and with my left hand finger adjust the focus on my FD 50 1.4. All while still holding the 2 handles. Great stability. Only need the FF for tripod work.

Pics coming.

Yes the FF and Rig are both awesome quality for the $$