Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Can't speak on that, I never owned or shot with the GH1. But I love my GH2.

• Hey all, love this tread. Got a question for you all, im currently looking to get a Pana cam, i was wondering how big a boost there is from GH1> GH2 Video wise and for post work AF/ColorGHear. Footage is gonna be use Web wise only, so Youtube, vimeo ect, basically is the GH1 worth it vs the money saved on a smallish budget? is so what are the big drawbacks if any

thanks for the great read and videos guys.

• Graded with colorghear. Major props @shian!

• Thanks for new tutorial @shian Great as always!

• Part 2 of the Intensity and Falloff series is now live in the CGFS section.

• I've been out of the loop!

• Apocalypse Now 444

• @shian - AN 444 hack, care to elaborate?

• like i said it's nominal. I've yet to see any MAJOR improvement from it. BUT I am going to see if translating the new AN 444 hack to prores444 has any improved quality over 422. I'll let you know what I find.

• @shian - How much additional latitude do you feel you gain with 5dtoRGB? Is EOSHD's Premiere fix sufficient?

• @MikhailK it's not necessary. But by converting in 5DtoRGB there is less aliasing in fine detail. But it's not a major issue.

• @SAS : As Shian said memory is king. I was on a W7 PC and 4GB was clearly not cutting it. I upgraded to 8GB which was faster and about 10x more stable, but it still wouldn't allow me to activate all 8 virtual cores of my i7 for rendering... Needless to say, I had to reach for my wallet (my micro ATX board has only 2 mem slots so I had to shop around and go for 8GB sticks) and stop at 16GB.

That's my experience from the PC world.

• Hi @shian,

Though I bought ColorGHear a long time ago, I didn't have a chance to use it because my PC wasn't fast enough for color grading. So I would appreciate if you could answer the questions from a newb in color grading:-)

I'm a PC user!

1. Do I need to convert native GH2 MTS files to 10-bit DNxHD or other codecs (ProRes?) before importing them into AE 5.5 or should I import native MTS files? I didn't find an answer to this question in your tutorials (or I missed it...). I also plan to edit (in the future) my videos in Premiere but for now I only want the existing footage to be color corrected.

2. In case you say I should convert MTS files to DNxHD or ProRes, what advantage will it give me?

Thanks in advance.

• @alkasber right now I don't have a quick yellow fix, I suppose I should create one. I always suggest when shooting Nostalgic to add a little blue and a tiny bit of green using the adjustment feature in camera to offset the slight sepia tones.

@SAS there are uses for Color Finesse - it is a fine color correction program, but CGT is incredibly fast, far more flexible and renders faster. Like @stonebat said memory is king when working in AE, so the more memory the better. You don't have to leave AE to use CGT like you do with CF. CGT operates more like Davinci in terms of modular grades, and mixing. No one "NEEDS" CGT, but the results speak for themselves.

@uliman still working on it. Premiere is not cooperating. And SpeedGrade is essentially useless until Adobe gets around to including a true roundtrip workflow between it and PP and AE. I only use it now for secondaries, and WB, and then export the LUTs, and import them into AE. I only find it useful for tech grades.

• @sas If you can, return the retina mbp and get the 8gb ram version. AE eats lots of memory. Personally I'd get non-retina mbp and diy 16gb.

• @shian Hi, any news on Premiere Pro and Speedgrade version? I like your tools very very much. Helped me in a lot of projects in AE. BR and thanks a lot. Uli

• @shian

Ok, bought it and right now I am watching the tutorials. I have a simple question, I recorded some material on GH2 nostalgic mode, that has a yellow tint in it. Which is the easiest way to correct the white balance with the toolkit?

Thanks!

• @shian,

Hi, I have been reading this thread for a while and am considering buying your "toolkit" for colour grading etc as soon as I have bought my first GH2 with the necessary accessories..

I have a few questions first though:

I am running on a 2012 Macbook Pro, the model that came out just before the Retina Display ones. I have After Effects as part of Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection (student/teacher edition). My Mac has 4gb RAM.

1) WIll I be able to make the most of your toolkit with my current hardware/software?

2) As a free bonus that came bundled with AE, I was given a plug in with a ton of presets for colour correction called "Synthetic Aperture SA Colour Finesse 3"... With that in mind, do I need to buy your tool kit?

3) what does this toolkit and tutorial set offer me that SA colour finesse does not do already?

Thanks for your time. I like the look of the footage I have seen that has been graded using your toolkit.

• @johnhizzle One of the best endorsements ever, thanks! Now plaster that all over the cyber-verse. :P

Thanks, @christianhubbard the next tutorial is a 3 parter. I hope to have part one up this weekend. And part 2 sometime next week. Part 3 is the grading portion of how I graded the footage. It'll be up not long after part 2 is everything goes according to plan.

• &Thankyou for the film school!!

It is fantastic

• OKAY THAT'S IT! My Magic Bullet Looks has been on the fritz now for 2 months and after constant going back and forth with RG technical support. I've switch my new looks app to Color Ghear. Why? Cause it doesn't crash on me.....ever!

I've been using it now as my finishing/look builder but I'm thinking about switching my whole CC process to just use Color Ghear.

Thank you Shian for your hard work and making Color Correction fun and yet challenging at the same time.

• @alkasber
    I suggest you take the leap and jump on board. Color Ghear is well worth the money. Don't feel hesitant because you don't know where to start. The great thing is it comes with tutorials. These tutorials will teach you everything you need to know to get started. As for how to enhance your image, that depends on each person. Everyone has there own style, you will develop your style after using it for a while. Best of luck.

• I did warn you that it would happen, well, not you specifically, but in general. I'm working on an overlay.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions