Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • You need an intern (nudge nudge wink wink knowhatimean knowhatimean saynomore saynomore)

• @dumile At the risk of sounding vague.... eventually? I have so much on my plate with gigs and development I'm finding it hard to find time to record tutorials. I have a mountain of stuff sketched out for the lessons, but little time to put it all together.

• just signed up a few days ago shian. I've learned a lot already.

when can we expect the second halves of metering, contrast and especially expose in the zone?

• new tutorial up

• I can upload the file for anyone interested.

• artiswar thanks

• @shian - I should also add that when applying the grain over the gray solid, it was a normal blending mode. I used overlay in Resolve 9

• @shian - Overlay. The grain was actually fairly fine and still is apparent after major compression.

• @artiswar what settings did you use to composite it? Multiply, Add, Overlay?

• @shian - Here's a little test of some grain I rendered out of AE on an 18% gray solid. Overlaid in Davinci 9.

Also, recently scored a Digisix used from B&H for $100. Love it.

• Some of the more expensive meters will have more accurate readings (in digital tenths of a stop) like the 500 and 700 series sekonics. But the Digisix is a very inexpensive solution and I use it all the time cuz it fits in my pocket. But because it only reads what we commonly use which is 3rds of a stop, there are times when I get a reading of 1/3 when its really a half stop. Not that it matters terribly. But for the price, I love that little thing.

• Ok @shian here is my big financial question....well not really. I have a Spectra Professional IV-A light meter. It has no EV parameter on it...should I get a digisix in it's place?

• @Flaaandeeers I'm biased. But Once you get the hang of CGT, its is incredibly easy and fast. I use it for all my finishing work. And the Film School tutorials have helped others get fantastic results out of their cams. Just ask @apriori and see what he had to say about the tutorials http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/79243#Comment_79243

• @Flaaandeeers the sight is sweet. The tutorials are great especially the film school. @shian thanks for the reference on the FC. I think i'll attack from the meter side after reading through another thread of yours regarding the guy with the Red kit. I want to really nail down the ratio aspect of working with a meter. I do have a few questions which is why I asked about a forum especially in regards to the tuts that are not available for public viewing. I don't want to hijack threads, and I think your site could be the start of a great community where people aren't trying to peddle bullshit DVD's or pander to one particular brand of gear.

• I'm not very used to AE. I'm just a PPro basic guy who wants to improve his CC skills. I've tried Colorista in PPro but doesn't like it very much. Do you think I will be able to manage AE and CGhear with the tutorials? And something else: I'm shooting a short film in a couple of months. Will the tutorials help me to set up my shots better for later postprod work? I love my GH2 and want to get the best possible results with it. Many thanks to shian and all of you!

• @greglory every attempt at a forum has failed, but still working on it. And FC and WFMs are easy: 20-80 on wfm, and blue to mustard yellow on FC.

false-color-scale.jpg
    192 x 348 - 12K
    RedFalseColor_build20.1.2_iPhone_Reference_Chart.png
    480 x 320 - 33K
  • @shian I recently purchased ColorGhear and love the site already. I'd love to see a tutorial that expounds on exposing in the zone using different tools. For instance what to look for using monitors that have false color such as some of the Marshalls and SmallHD (which I have). I'd also love to see a forum over there so us gear heads can get together and communicate. Again love the site!

• It's the exposure zone one

• @johnhizzle What's that specific tutorial? Thanks.

• @shian thanks man! With Color GHear and a hacked GH2 you can achieve great results. Thanks for your hard work!

• Well I shot a previous video using Color GHear and wasn't pleased with my results.

I then went back and watched all of Shian's tutorials and exposed my camera never going above or under +/- 2. I then went through each piece of footage and made sure they fell between 80 and 20 IRE.

I'm pretty pleased with the results.

• @simple - huge difference. I've owned both, both hacked. The noise profile on the GH2 is far more granular and less bandy. Check out this video that I shot a while back. Major banding.

And then here on the GH2 with Quantum 9b

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions