Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian, any other way beside paypal I can send you the money to get on this deal?

• @HillTop1 unfortunately, no. I think you can process a credit card through PayPal without actually having/using a PayPal account. I used to do it all the time.

• @stonebat Any news on Creative Suite 6 release date from Adobe? 3Q of 2012?

• @shian That footage from your test drive took my breath away, man. We're so lucky to have you here to teach us these things. What lens did you use? -> ok , it's the Pancake 20mm (I remember it like it was yesterday sitting in the theatre when Solaris played, and Martinez enters that bass guitar below the metal percussion when you're looking at Natascha McElhone's face or the intelligent nebula.)

• @MarkV, @Stonebat:

I believe v6 will be at least announced and demoed at NAB. They have a 0.5 upg plan each year for NAB last i heard. I think we'll see the pricing and everything in April. I'm looking forward to Speedgrade and other features. I really like what Shian is doing for the GH2 and his support/education makes it a no-brainer.

• No idea about CS6 release date. Hopefully ColorGhear presets work in CS6.

• Thanks, Johnny. It's the first time i didn't edit to music, just slapped something on at the end that happened to work really well.

No reason CGT shouldn't work with CS6, most of the GHears were built in CS3, they've evolved over the years, but have always worked going forward. If not, I'll just make new ones.

CGT tutorials will expand to cover SpeedGrade when it is released, and we'll have to see just how Adobe's release is configured, but if they leave it alone for the most part, there will be a whole new toolkit for SpeedGrade almost as it's released, if not...soon after. Also development has begun on versions for Resolve, and FCPX - no ETA on completion... it will be a while, but work has begun. FCPX version doesn't look very promising, but I'm just now getting into it. At the very least there will be tutorials on how to get the most out of it - grading-wise.

And then of course there's the Film School, which I'm hard at work creating content for and shooting Tutorials, no ETA on it's release either. (being a one stop shop is time consuming...lol) but thank you for your continued support.

• And let me add, making the transition to a SpeedGrade workflow will be almost seamless for CGT users, you are using a hacked together version of it now.

• Cool. Do you use a mouse at all? Or are you a trackpad person?

• I use this http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/7365/logitech-wireless-trackball-m570-reviews/reviews.htm

and occasionally, I use my old wacom tablet depending on what I'm doing.

• I was watching iPen for iPad.

Maybe later this year... PhotoShop/AfterEffects masking using pressure sensitive tablet or stylus :)

• Older video from the 2nd week I had my GH2 - unhacked. I had to go back to Nebraska for my dad's funeral, and was in a grim mood - had to get out of the house (details on the vimeo page)

This was a minimalist grade using just CineGHamma and a very low Spectral, on footage shot with cinema setting 0,0,0,+2. And with standard ND filters. No need for the hot mirror kind if you're not shooting people...at least that's what I've found.

• Looks really good Shian. Especially the lowlight. Those Nikkor lenses are incredible. I am starting to get used to using the GHears. Still have a ways to go but i reallly like them so far. CineGHamma and Spectral effects are great. Will share later. It already looks better then my previous grading.

• Short little edit. Technical grade in Color Finesse. Creative grade with CGT. About 6 or 7 adjustment layers. A bit of Neat Video reduction and regrain with the Film Grain gear.

• GHrain Killer tutorial will hopefully be done next week. I'm in the middle of shooting yet another short. (Still frame below) Using Quantum v9b, graded with CGT using Shadow Lift, CineGhamma, and ColorFist.

Oops forgot to include settings:

Pancake 20mm @ f.2.5, ISO200, Shutter 1/50th, Smooth -2,0,0,-2

The actor is Robert Joy (CSI:NY, Land of the Dead, AVP-R) Who was also in my award winning film "Singularity". He is teh awesome!

MandMe footage tests (0.02.30.00).png
    1920 x 818 - 2M
  • @shian that frame is beautiful! He's not the same guy from Aaron Sims' Archetype is he?

• @RJH He is indeed. Bob is one of the coolest guys I know. I love working with him.

• @shian It would be really nice to have a tutorial on using ColorGHear to get rid of the infamous horizontal band: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/36898#Comment_36898

Do you think that we could have something like that in the near future? It's one of the only things about this camera that really bug me.

Thanks!

• @atticusd I've never seen any horizontal banding on my camera... ever. You might have a bad sensor. It happens. I got an email the other day from someone who had to send their camera back twice till they got one without that defect. It is not to my knowledge an acceptable part of owning a GH2, but a defect in manufacturing that needs to be addressed by sending the camera in for warranty work.

Of course I've never shot anything but 24p.

• @shian I would bet that the issue exits in every GH2 out there. It's only more evident in some of them. In my case (I have an early 2011 body), it's clearly visible in fairly underexposed scenes above ISO 1600 and in anything above ISO3200 (the ISO limit removal in the hack is useless in most cases because of the issue). Some surfaces make the problem far more evident: walls with midtones, etc. Normally I don't bump into the issue because it's rare that I need that combination of high ISO and underexposure, but I want to shoot a doc in the dark night of my old neighborhood and being able to use higher ISOs and shoot against walls with confidence would be nice. I tried this solution: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/11422#Comment_11422 with some success but only some. That’s why I thought that the power of the GHears combined with your expertise could give us a solution to get rid/minimize the problem but obviously only if you have the time and consider this worth it.

• OK, that explains it. I never shoot 1600 unless I absolutely have to, and NEVER shoot above 1600, not even on the RED M-X which is a native ISO800 camera. EVER. In any narrative film, one with a script and a story, If I HAVE to shoot above 1600 ISO, then I have done something seriously wrong.

Now none of what follows is intended to be condescending or demeaning in anyway. We are all here to learn. (I learn something new here everyday.)

If I were to gather every member of both the ASC and the BSC together in a room, and say, "You are the people responsible for filming nearly every film we've seen in theaters in the past 40 years. How many of you have ever shot on 3200 speed color film?" I'm sure nearly every one of them would raise their hands. If I followed that question with: "Now, how many of you have ever shot 3200 speed color film on a deliverable project?" (A feature film, music video, or commercial) Not only would no one raise their hand, I would likely receive the comment, "We'd like to keep our careers."

The ISO removal feature is a nice thing to have, but just because one can do a thing, doesn't mean one must do a thing. I used the ISO removal feature once to shoot a B&W documentary style piece for a friend's band playing in a nightclub and I needed to have a zoom lens, and so I took the kit lens which is a lowly 3.5-5.6, and was shot at 12800, using the first B&W setting. The footage was grainy, but it was a nice grain, but reminded me of some of the old documentary footage I have seen over the years. No noticeable banding. Probably because it was B&W.

But that is an extreme condition. Most of us that are working DPs, only work in extreme conditions rarely. And that is why most documentaries that need to be shot in nightclubs or comedy clubs are shot in B&W, because like the rods in our our eyes, B&W works better in the dark. There is a reason News Cameras have lights mounted on them, as do documentary film cameras. If shooting in the dark is your chosen canvas, get one, and learn to love B&W.

The GH2 is not the camera to smash boundaries with its ability to see in the dark, but it is a fantastic camera for those who will be lighting their scenes for narrative features or shorts.

Now, that being said, I will look into finding a fix for the issue. but it doesn't look promising, considering the nature of the issue.

• @shian sorry to go off topic but is Singularity online? I was watching the BTS on your vimeo but I couldn't see the film itself.

• @shian I completely agree with everything you've said there. It's just that the camera performs incredibly good at high ISO for its price range. It's a trick in the hat that's just nice to know you have in case an extreme situation comes up but with the band issue we can't rely on it. In any case, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer and for trying to fix it. Have a great weekend!

• @shian Love that grab. Hopefully when you get time you can show us how you did that one?

• @RJH Not as of yet. It's still being invited to screen at festivals worldwide. I figured I'd give it till the requests slow down, or till someone finally decides to make the feature version. But since it is relevant to ColorGHear, as it was the probably the project that solidified most of what is in CGT I may as well share so peeps know to what you are referring:

Shot with Panasonic HVX200, redrock adapter, and the same lenses I use now on my GH2, sans the Panasonic Lenses as they were not invented yet, and graded using a primitive version of CGT.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions