Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • Japanese engineers are good. Russian too, even with encrypted stuff. English are good actors and directors. :-)
  • I've enjoyed a few minutes of comments without the "banding" word. On to the LL test!
  • I've already prepared a multi page response with frame grabs and quotes for engineers in the event the GH2 scores poorly on Blooms skin tone test.

And how come my snowflakes don't move when I mouse over them? is there a fix?
  • @danyyyel
    >At least know we know that the gh2 is the equal of the C300 and F3

Let's not to turn this into fan page, ok?

As I said, if you get your message and write similar length script for short clip, it'll be much more useful.
  • For me this is very important. As this thread that I started some month ago http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1343/gh2....-the-need-of-recognition./p1 That is the need of recognition. This gh2 and hack gh2 did not have one test against the other camera. At least know we know that the gh2 is the equal of the C300 and F3 and much higher than the other DSLR. So no more those endless talk about the gh2 resolution etc.

But beyond all this, it shows to the world and the manufacturers how good a $ 700 camera hardware can be, so things like the Af-100 can rest in peace. It leverage a lot the playing fields, no more those crap talk about 10 bit, high resolution, high bitrate codec would need $ 10 000 hardware. The hacked gh2 only lacks one thing and it is 10 bit. There have been a lot of septic about the gh2 etc. because of brand, fanboyism etc. People that have been conditioned so much that even the manufacturers don't need to answer anything because those guys are going to defend them. Now at least there are some proof that nobody can deny.

For too long, the price to performance ratio of the video world must be the worst in the whole electronic industry. In the photography world you can get a 18 megapixel raw camera for less than $ 700, and the people there are always complaining. How would they react if they only had 8 bit highly compressed file to work with. I know it takes more space for the files etc. but the hacked gh2 shows what is possible hardware wise with $ 700, when all the hardware crippling and marketing shit does not interfere. In the end when all the industry uses and manufacturers will know and take notice of the gh2vk powers it will be difficult to go backward. Today with less than Af100 price I can get a whole package that will be higher in every sens to the Af-100. You can get a 720p monitor, sound devices sound quality, Matte box and follow focus and rig. All this accessories will also work on any future camera.

Lastly if we get much more gh2 owners it will broaden the appeal of third party manufacturers towards it. You have how much LCD viewfinder choice for the Canons!!! But something simple as a good large comfortable eyecup for the gh2 evf (which is higher resolution than the Canon back screen) zero, none, nada. A good eyecup or even with a loupe to magnify the evf would be a godsend for handheld gh2 run and gun shoot.

I think this hacked gh2 will itself be another revolution after the initial HDslr revolution in the video industry. Now the new strongly rumored Nikons or Canon 1dx could be another step above, but for now it is the gh2vk that is bringing the affordable high quality cine camera to the market of low to no budget filmmakers. The more user, the more it get noticed the less the manufacturer will be able to cripple or overprice their product.

• @PhilipBloom
    can you confirm you did footage with Canon c300 with internal codec: mpeg2 @ 50Mb/s?
    If yes we are comparing gh2 H264 170 Mbps with mpeg2 @ 50Mb/s...woaou. Modern vs Middle age.

Great footage from canon c300 anyway
  • In my humble opinion I think the GH2 is probably the best option for video under the U$5,000.
  • Talk about tiresome...
    We already knew the GH2 resolved a lot of detail like a year ago? It dont mean the other cameras are crap.
    All have its uses. I could go on (again) about the 5N but not going to bother because I own one along with GH2 and know that I get better footage from my 5n than this comparison footage...same with a friends 7d.
    Btw This -3 sharpness "rule" does not have to apply to every camera make (the -3-3-3 on 5n looks like shit frankly). Once you lose the sharpness you aint getting it back.

As truly great the GH2 video quality is and how much you all go an about it... go and fucking shoot something worthwhile with it. Enough with the pixel peeping please. Its gone on too long.

My old art lecturer used to say something like "Its all in the composition not in the brush strokes...if you spend your time anally staring into the image counting them, you miss out on the artistry in front of you"
  • I think Philip's shootout deserve my attention since it is improving my perception of these different footages...
  • may be another hack from vk :-)
  • Way Off Topic - I just noticed the snowflakes move with the mouse. :}
  • Guys, really, stop playing this games.
    This whole shootout and games around it don't deserve even 5 seconds of your attention.
    I mean the concept, not the really great work @drifftwood have done.
  • Still is Epic P&S ID fail. Also the GH2 image has the strongest contrast, so it had a tell. I picked the noisiest one as the P&S, which it wasn't.
  • @DrDave I think almost everybody correctly identified the GH2 in that comparison, because it was lightyears better than everything else. The difficulty was in deciding which of the other inferior samples was from the P&S and which were from the other DSLRs.
  • My reality check of the day was seeing @eoshd blind comparison including the GH2 where no one could pick the point-and-shoot cam. I'll be keeping the GH2 and using the P&S for the B cam I guess.
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/6670/test-scene-name-the-camera
  • @bwhitz: +1.
    Love the C300. Its cosmetically awesome (to me). But i also feel the high ISO performance will be commonplace for the next gen dSLRs. Thats the selling point right now and its a short window.
  • Actually, if there was a camera that would dramatically help work-flow and give similar abilities like the gh2 live (lossless / raw output) then that could well be worth $5000. Greater color depth and increased high fps possibilities would obviously make for good icing on the cake.
  • @bwhitz Great point.. the image is not better, and if it's not 10bit 422 for around $5000 it's a no go lol...
  • "there's just nothing that's going to pry $5000 out of my hands now unless it's 10bit 4:2:2 and 60fps."

exactly!
  • @brianluce "Is there anything out there now that's $5,000 that does 10 bit 422 60fps with a large sensor?"

Nope... not really. FS1000 is close like @EOSHD said. But there's just nothing that's going to pry $5000 out of my hands now unless it's 10bit 4:2:2 and 60fps.
  • FS100 comes close to that but as you can see from shootout, GH2 is not far off considering it costs 10x less. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
  • Is there anything out there now that's $5,000 that does 10 bit 422 60fps with a large sensor?
  • Hum shootout is not finished yet..
  • @TrackZillas "Here is the crazy part if you shoot a movie, or music video with an F3, C300, or GH2 no one will tell the difference so I rest my case GH2 for the WIN.. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!"

+1

Is the C300 better on paper? Yes. Are the images noticeable better in reality? Nope. That's why I was so disappointed with the C300. It should have been the 18mp 7D sensor with dual DigicV's doing a proper downscale and 60fps at 4:2:2 10-bit for $4500. And that isn't crazy or exaggerated... that's a pretty reasonable spec/price list given the quality of $800 cameras these days.

I mean seriously... phones are doing 1080p video now. Anything that falls short of 10-bit 4:2:2 and 60fps for over $5000 is going to be a joke this year.
  • Wow Wow Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the GH2 kicked some ass in detail, IMO GH2 won.. a $700 camera Wow... Here is the crazy part if you shoot a movie, or music video with an F3, C300, or GH2 no one will tell the difference so I rest my case GH2 for the WIN.. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!