Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Need Clarification on the new Lumix 12-35 II & 35-100 II Lenses
  • I'm looking for clarification on the new Panasonic Lumix 12-35 II & 35-100 II lenses. I already have a 12-35 & 35-100, what are the benefits of these news lenses if you're getting a GH5 compared to the version 1?

Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks!

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Dual IS 2 vs Dual IS 1, a little less than a stop more image stabilization. A new lens coating. Iris with blades set up for better bokeh. Elimination of micro jitters as you zoom in video mode.

Basically, things to make video better.

• Sounds nice, but seems to dash my hopes for Panasonic releasing lens series with a video orientated focus mechanism. Only reason im using the Olympus 12-40 for the focus clutch mechanism which lacks OIS.

On a side note, the focus travel needs to be longer on the Olympus 12-40, only 90 degrees

• Another option would be the new 12-60mm f/2.8 lens.

• No Lumix/Leica mft lens has features friendly to video: fly-by-wire focus, non-parfocal zooms, focus breathing. Panasonic turned their still cameras into video cameras without the appropriate lenses.

See https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59317220

• The 35-100 mk 1 IS is so bad for video :( mine has 1.3 on it and I think it's unusable.

Irony is it's so light that with my g7 on slider I can't get smooth footage zoomed in, and the IS doesn't do anything to help either.

Hopefully the new one is better but too expensive for me.

• @scotchtape - Is the micro jitter issue still present after latest firmware upgrade? Or is something else making it unusable?