Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Which off camera strobe lights would you recommend for GH4?
  • Hi all,

I'm looking for 1-2 off camera strobes for my GH4 for an upcoming shoot. Heard the Panny FL360L isn't too great. So what would you guys recommend instead?

Thanks!

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I use a Metz TTL flash made for panasonic, although I haven't use it in a really long time. I think it's the AF-48. I have a cable to take it off camera, but,I am not sure if you could do it wirelessly and still have TTL communication.

• The GODOX QT 600 monolights are pretty good I have 2 of them and 2 other GODOX 300W/S monolights along with 3 speed lights. They come with simple remotes and are very easy to operate. Put the remote on the GH4 and you could control the power for all 4 monolights. One of the things that I really like on the QT600 is that the power goes really low when needed actually a lot lower then my other 2 300W/S monolights.

Anyways if you are interested here is a good read on these moonlights. These are the same lights relabeled under Lencarta.

http://www.philharbordphotography.co.uk/lencarta_sf600.html

• @cindy6

the subject will be 4-5 meters away. so non TTL acceptable as well. any leads? oh, will be on location, very rustic place. tkx.

Need more details??? What time of the day are you shooting? 6-9AM, 4-6PM, Nightime??? This will determine what you will need for the shoot. If you are shooting during the daytime and your subject is 4-5 meters away then you may want to consider using monolights/studio strobes especially if you are using medium to large size modifiers.

• as a follow up: been hearing good words for Yungnuo 560III. is this one big enough for subjects 4-5 meters away

Best idea is to open specifications and check flash zoom specs and power.

Wireless flash triggers are plenty on ebay or aliexpress. Just check reviews first.

• as a follow up: been hearing good words for Yungnuo 560III. is this one big enough for subjects 4-5 meters away? or should I forget about speedlights and go the studio strobes + monster battery box route?

• the subject will be 4-5 meters away. so non TTL acceptable as well. any leads? oh, will be on location, very rustic place. tkx.

• Are you looking for TTL only flashes?

As otherwise you can get wireless transmitter and any good Chinese flash units.