Personal View site logo
Which off camera strobe lights would you recommend for GH4?
  • Hi all,

I'm looking for 1-2 off camera strobes for my GH4 for an upcoming shoot. Heard the Panny FL360L isn't too great. So what would you guys recommend instead?

Thanks!

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Are you looking for TTL only flashes?

As otherwise you can get wireless transmitter and any good Chinese flash units.

• the subject will be 4-5 meters away. so non TTL acceptable as well. any leads? oh, will be on location, very rustic place. tkx.

• as a follow up: been hearing good words for Yungnuo 560III. is this one big enough for subjects 4-5 meters away? or should I forget about speedlights and go the studio strobes + monster battery box route?

• as a follow up: been hearing good words for Yungnuo 560III. is this one big enough for subjects 4-5 meters away

Best idea is to open specifications and check flash zoom specs and power.

Wireless flash triggers are plenty on ebay or aliexpress. Just check reviews first.

• @cindy6

the subject will be 4-5 meters away. so non TTL acceptable as well. any leads? oh, will be on location, very rustic place. tkx.

Need more details??? What time of the day are you shooting? 6-9AM, 4-6PM, Nightime??? This will determine what you will need for the shoot. If you are shooting during the daytime and your subject is 4-5 meters away then you may want to consider using monolights/studio strobes especially if you are using medium to large size modifiers.

• The GODOX QT 600 monolights are pretty good I have 2 of them and 2 other GODOX 300W/S monolights along with 3 speed lights. They come with simple remotes and are very easy to operate. Put the remote on the GH4 and you could control the power for all 4 monolights. One of the things that I really like on the QT600 is that the power goes really low when needed actually a lot lower then my other 2 300W/S monolights.

Anyways if you are interested here is a good read on these moonlights. These are the same lights relabeled under Lencarta.

http://www.philharbordphotography.co.uk/lencarta_sf600.html

• I use a Metz TTL flash made for panasonic, although I haven't use it in a really long time. I think it's the AF-48. I have a cable to take it off camera, but,I am not sure if you could do it wirelessly and still have TTL communication.