Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Red Scarlet X topic
  • 172 Replies sorted by
  • Hmmm, he didn't have a GH2 or GH1... just pictures and firmware.
  • Really??? I thought that he had 2 GH2's? As one got sent to off for the firmware chip to be imaged...
  • Ok, well I am mistaken, It was my understanding that he didn't have one... Ah but wait now I remember posts that detailed how someone was sending him one.
  • @Jon, I don't know for sure... I just said I 'thought that he had 2'... Maybe VK can answer this question as to what he would need for sure...
  • @Jon Scarlet is not the Epic at all, other than the sensor and similar exterior. Red stuck extra weights in the Scarlet to balance it similarly to the Epic, so it can be used in side-by-side 3D configurations. I'd rather have a lighter body. Don't believe me... Open up your camera when you get it and void the warranty if you want to send us photos. I'd love to see the internals of that mini computer...

Still don't believe me? Look at the Heat vent on top of the camera and power requirements. No firmware on earth will get you the processing power needed to double to triple those data rates for HDRX. Think about the cooling requirement differences between a netbook and overclocked desktop. Night and Day

My theory is, Red will recycle EPIC boards and use them in Scarlet bodies when they upgrade the Sensor next year to Dragon on both the Scarlet-X and Epic-X Dragon. It makes perfect financial sense...

• http://philipbloom.net/2011/11/20/scarlet/

Phil gives a great "no BS" preview of the Scarlet-X he's waiting for on order.

A better title might be "BETA"Cam (Can I trademark that?).

... and our company has one on order too, fun times ahead...

• You can contact Simeon.
    May be he find it fun and decrypts Scarlet firmware also? :-)
  • @NickBen

Good thing is to remember that Phil, as wll as Jem, are related to Canon.
    And Canon PR is the best, considering bloggers relations :-)

Plus many things could be untrue very fast.
    First, you can use other screen with SDI input.
    Second, cheaper V mount options will come. And good chinese chargers and batteries are already available for V mount.
    Third. We don't know how much time will past until we'll see cheaper SSDs.
  • @NickBen
    > No firmware on earth will get you the processing power needed to double to triple those data rates for HDRX.

A bit off topic but one does have to wonder how the GH2 is dealing so easily with data rates that are 8x standard!
  • Yeah, adhering to standards like V-mount makes a big difference. As long as the REDVolts are short on supply, we can hang our REDbricks on a belt. You can use another screen, like Small HD, as long as you have a side handle for operating it.

I love this statement: "Buying a Scarlet is NOT going to make you a better filmmaker." So true!

But as VK says, Philip is biased, in particular when it comes to the Scarlet being a "Betacam" (nice comment). Yes, we had a very early RED One, and it was beta – maybe even a prototype. But even then it was better than anything out there, counting cameras for much higher prices. And it has improved so much over the years, without RED even charging us a single cent. The audio board was not perfect? Replaced for free! When did you ever get that from Panny ? There were better sensor developed? Change it for a reasonable price. Sony was preaching 2/3 for years, charging you the price of a decent house for the F23. Then they made the F35. Charged you again.

Reliability? Our RED One has shut down on us during a shoot only once, and that was a faulty cable. I've seen an expensive Sony 750 HD cam going down in the middle of a desert – and Sony never told people they sell beta…

Plus, I suppose hacking the Scarlet is a joke, isn't it? It makes no sense at all. VK has brought us closer to what the sensor can deliver in the GH2 – we all know how good it is from RAW photography. But RED is delivering to us what the sensor has to offer, only mildly compressed in a far superior, Intra-only codec. So, where is the logic of hacking it? And, since the encoder is their Coca Cola secret, it will be very well protected. Graeme is a world class coder. I don't doubt Vitaliy is in the same class, but why should he waste his time on Scarlet when all the Nikons or Canons are waiting for him?

So, can you tell I love those folks at RED? Yes. They are crazies, just like VK, Driftwood and numerous others around here!
  • @nomad, not that I am bias (I am) but has anyone looked at the Red forums... Red firmware is "always changing"- depend on it.... and there have been during the years quite a few issues... Also as far as compression is concerned RED RAW is not uncompressed - by no means... (Considering the advanced nature of AVCHD - would be good to do a comparison of simply the codec to see how much data we 'are' chucking out... The newest Driftwood look pretty sweet though!)

Other than that my GH2 (once set up nicely) is ROCK SOLID!
  • One area where you are going to see great enthusiasm for Scarlet is in 3D. The REDRAW codec is intraframe... and doesn't suffer from the motion coding compromises of H264. RED MagicMotion mantains definition around moving object edges that otherwise would suffer motion-blur (in 3D, BLUR=BAD). Also, the higher resolution allows for selective cropping to alter convergence and mask window-violations, without sacrificing resolution. Throw into the mix master/slave camera control, Genlock, time-code sync, HD-SDI (allowing for inexpensive 3D monitoring options) - and you have a very compelling offering. Epic is already the go-to camera for non-live 3D and Scarlet is a very useful diversification of the product line for limited budgets and B-cam use.
  • @David_Cole I looked seriously at the cost of doing 3D with a pair of Scarlet and Beamsplitter rig and matched lenses, and honestly what you get for $30,000 to get less than true "4K" 3D at 24p or "3K" with HDRX is a waste of resources, when you can hire an experienced pro stereographer for far less $ with EPIC 3D rig , if the client really needs it.

I think there are much cheaper and far more flexible 1080p 3D solutions than going the Scarlet-X route. I have no doubts some will do 3D with a Scarlet-Epic combo, but few with a Scarlet-Scarlet combo.

Even the Canon XF305 combo is tens of thousands cheaper, and includes lenses...

• Agreed - if you are able to hire a rig and a crew - by all means do so. That accounts for a very small fraction of the developing content areas. Remember, thousands of hours of content are needed to reach the tipping point for home 3DTV (if the adoption profile is similar to HD). That doesn't even account for nascent video applications (e.g. training videos, tradeshow promotions, etc.).

I beg to differ that HDRx is a waste of resources, when applied to MagicMotion. Occlusion edge fidelity is critical to comfortable stereoscopic viewing. Don't believe me? Look at @ 1080 24P shot with any XDCAM or 50Mbps MPEG-2-based rig. You will not be able to perceive depth in any negative parallax content with motion parallel to the sensor.

My company encodes content from just about every rig made. I can tell you that RED has a real advantage in motion fidelity at the moment.

The XF305 is 50 Mbps DCT-based compression. Doesn't meet the minimum acquisition format requirements for most 3D broadcasters. So, you'll need a HD-SDI stereo capture solution. The mic protrudes so far out that you can't position the cameras close to the beamsplitter on 50% of the rigs out there. So.... it's far from ideal.

Sure, there are lower cost solutions. Even the GH2 has it's place, if you are willing to deal with manual lenses, no way to monitor in 3D and having to re-sync after every take. With the low-GOP patches out there, the GH2 is actually a very good stereo platform, relative to other more motion-lossy cameras.

I'm simply saying that if I were a budding stereoscopic producer and wanted a rig that would service 3Net, B-Sky-B, and the VOD providers out there - as well as serve as a B-cam for theatrical applications (these are the paying gigs at the moment) - I'd be hard pressed to find a better camera.
  • 2 Huge announcement in the forum (may be setbacks for many)...

1. HDMI and HD-SDI are NOT SIMULTANEOUS on the Scarlet. Any of us planning on using
    our external HD Monitor with menus and separate prores recorder or teradek for clean feed...
    THINK AGAIN- YOU CAN'T!

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?67232-Scarlet-HDMI-SDI-Simultaneous-Operation

2. Also, the "4K" Red Scarlet-X will only actually resolve about 3.2K after full debayer
    according to Graeme Nattress. So, it is yet to be seen how good footage will actually look
    on a 4K display. The Epic footage from 5K will certainly look sharper at 4K output.
    So, if you factor in the future Dragon upgrade with the Scarlet-X,
    you are probably turning it into original pricepoint of the Red-One Territory at 18K anyway...

I'm still onboard at this point due to the future Dragon update potential,
    but seriously thinking twice about just waiting to see the final
    product "post" Dragon sensor, and comparing it to what
    Canon/Panasonic cooks up for 4K by then anyway.

JVC already has a Quad HD camcorder coming,
    I've seen the prototype but the Red footage
    looks far superior so far...
  • Any 4K photocells sensor with a Bayer pattern won't resolve much more than true 3K – or have terrible aliasing. That's inevitable for whoever makes them. The R1 did the same, Sony can't help this with just turning the pattern by 45 degrees and F3 or Alexa just have enough photocells to resolve HDTV. F3 has quite some aliasing, BTW.
  • First footage is up....
  • unboxing
  • First of all it is pretty stupid to actually say that the only reason scarlet is the same weight as an EPIC is because they put weights in it, lol. Coming from a non SCARLET owner, that's pretty smart... And second of all the video is of an EPIC not a SCARLET, it's not that hard to tell. I don't know why I even posted in this forum, I'm pretty sure that most of the posters here are like 17 year old know it all's, that actually know nothing. I'm out...
  • Jon... if you think it's bad here, have you been to REDUSER lately? How about dvinfo? A LOT of the guys here contribute mightily to the GH1/2 community with patches, testing, code and solid advice. It's the best digital video blog I've ever seen. If I didn't have GH1's and 2's, personal-view.com would make me want to own and be part of what's going on here.
  • Yeah, don't bail out too soon, I'm a Red One owner, soon to have EPIC plus Scarlet and still interested in this forum – having a GH2 for my private use…
  • I'm still here, but I still think that most of the people here are trolls, just bored with their existence, but yes there is good information here. The GH1 and GH2 hack info, is extraordinary. And the work that is on going on some of the other cameras is too. It's just the trolls... I guess that's what we as a people get for having internet discussions... We are bound to attract idiots.
  • Yes I know, REDUSER is a mess, although it is getting better it seems
  • >I'm still here, but I still think that most of the people here are trolls, just

I think you like being in the places you hate.
    And all the people around you are trolls.
    This needs some cure.
  • No, but there are people who troll around everywhere looking to start controversy, drama, or just spout some crap out that they know nothing about, and places like internet forums, and chat rooms are breeding grounds for them. Once they figure out that they can say whatever they want without someone looking into their eyes and telling them what a liar they are, then they go hog wild. I don't go to places I don't like, and I don't hang around with people I don't like, but the internet brings all of those people out. There is no denying that. I'm not saying that there is no useful info here, because there is no denying that there is useful info here. But there is so much other trash, that it's painful to filter through.