Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Red Scarlet X topic
  • 172 Replies sorted by
  • I'll take the Red Scarlet over the Canon all day long. I think even my part time Bar/Batmitzvah/Wedding biz could swing one of these.
  • I was kinda hoping Canon was on top of things....clearly they are clueless. As for RED well Im not surprised...I just figured it would be less camera for less money...still at least now I know I can afford to RENT one when I have a super important project...well that is if in the future..I can even find one for rent.
  • You will find thousands of them for rent from wannabes without talent, who found out after a year that it doesn't earn their mortgage back…
  • @nomad Don't be so harsh- think everyone makes a Blockbuster first time around? The more Reds out there benefits everyone who wants to rent them cheap and buy them used- Isn't that a great thing?

Without Red, how many years and versions would it take
    Sony, Panasonic and Canon to give you:
    12 bit color.
    50MB/s video to SSD.
    4 K resolution that holds up on IMAX screens.
    5K RAW continuous (not burst) stills at 12fps.
    RAW video.
    Upgradeable sensor.

With a color science being continually refined and developed in conjunction
    with feedback from Peter Jackson, David Fincher, Soderbergh, etc?

In a body you can handhold?

For $15K out the door.

We can dream on if we think that was going to happen
    in the next 3-5 years without Red's technology.

And I hate, hate, hate their attitude and marketing, not my style,
    but their disruptive tech is unmatched I think in cinema history
    since sound or color, in only 5 years...
  • Pretty incredible announcement. I think they crushed it. And as NickBen stated, this will cause the other big names to compete quicker.

If anything, they probably cannabalized some of their EPIC sales for those on the fence - they will probably go for the Scarlet. However, they will sell a ton of Scarlets, so every EPIC sale they lost (to themselves) they'll probably sell 10 Scarlets.

I can't wait to rent one.
  • @Hallvalla
    I think that Panny better come out with that 4k firmware quick smart!
  • Positive thing is.
    Canon must come back with a big bang, to get there lost marked back.
    So interesting times are coming....

2012 will be the year of the 4K camera's.
  • @NickBen Sorry, I didn't want to come across too negative, just ironic. I value what RED has done for electronic cinematography, very much so (even if I don't like their style that much). And of course it's great the few talented young people have much better access to a great tool than before. But, let's face it, many think just HAVING a great camera makes them great cinematographers. And the thousands of these folks make it possible that the small EPIC (that's what it is) has such a great price point. So, the ones who have the talent have to be grateful to the ones who waste their money.

BUT: You can learn the craft with a hacked GH2, some add-ons for handling and a few good heritage lenses just as well. If you are good, you can even make some money on the way. Even after that you should be careful to invest your hard-earned cash into a camera or into your next project instead. It always feels safer to invest into some hardware you can hold in your hand, but it's an illusion. With the fast evolution of cameras everything looses it's value pretty fast. Investing into the project itself (and renting the camera) feels like more of a gamble, since you don't hold anything in the end other than a master copy. But this is the courage it takes. You need to be convinced of your talent. If it was an illusion, you loose. If you've got it, you win.

BTW, even Jim Jannard himself gave a similar advice once.

• @sohus Really? Overpriced? For whom? Professional production companies that have been shooting with Varicams, Sony 900s, etc will probably disagree. Those cameras used to cost upwards of $75-100K. Full cinema package for under $20K - discount.

For smaller shops, hobbyists, etc. yes the camera may be out of their price range, but it's not overpriced. RED decided to forgo the Scarlet Fixed. That was the big curve ball. But what they delivered has to far exceed what many thought was coming.

I don't think people should spend out of their price range unless they can justify it with existing clients, or existing funding for film projects. That s why a camera like a GH2 is so cool because it gives those who are still cutting their teeth a chance to do good work with it and when they do step up they will have even better tools to work with.

Tomorrow we shoot the music video that got postponed last week due to weather. I had the choice to shoot on Red One or GH2. I chose GH2 because of the form factor and what we will be able to accomplish tomorrow. Those with a Scarlet won't have to make that same choice. They'll have quality and form factor. For me, I'm happy enough shooting on GH2 with the hack. I get to do glidecam chase scenes, car shots, etc. We'll shoot a ton because of how mobile we'll be.

• @smsjr make sure to show us some of your rushes! Sounds cool! And I totally agree- GH2 is also great for another reason: Buying 2-3 is a non-issue... Now I would argue that every filmmaker can get a Red Scarlet - but how many can justify getting 3?

Cheers,
    Alex
  • @alcomposer Up to the director if I can show rushes. I'll want to I'm sure.I'm going with the Reaquanted patch. We're shooting in color for a B+W finish.

If you do a lot of multicam, GH2 is very attractive (other than lack of timecode, but that's solvable). Certainly more bang for your buck for that task.
  • @smsjr show us what you are able to - (even if its the final product)

(No Time code is a pain- I also work extensively with 3D and without Genlock or TC the GH2 is not really up to pro 3D- 60p is ok- but I want 1080! Maybe with AVCHD2?)

• strange thing is, there is no material on the web that is shot with the new red.
    only a demo shot on the "old" scarlet...

• Hi Friends - the reason we haven't seen any footage yet from Scarlet is that it is essentially the same as an Epic - minus High frame rates at high resolution. Did you see social network? Theoretically you could shoot a movie that looks like that, except to your own taste and style with Scarlet-X. I'm not saying that's the best movie ever, but the capabilities are there. Believe me, if you can't make a film look good with scarlet, you can't really blame the camera for that. I promise I'll upload some footage straight from scarlet when I get it. Also, please remember - half the power of the scarlet is it's gradability as a digital negative style format. The Lab is your personal computer. Much love friends, BID- PS gh2 still is the best sub 10k camera ;)
  • Looks a bit different in the 'flesh'. Have to say that the grey is NOT doing it for me- and also the modular construction looks a bit out of place Frankenstein like- however - I am having strange thoughts about this cam- (now seeing it for real) that I didn't before... mmm only 14k? interesting... Lets see how this pans out... at that price point Red better have the ability to take care such a large user base- because these will be EVERYWHERE! Any FW issue and the forums will burn!
    dsc00259.jpg
    800 x 532 - 91K
    dsc00240.jpg
    800 x 532 - 112K
    dsc00217.jpg
    800 x 532 - 127K
  • There will be firmware issues – "count on it" as RED says. But they have a better track than most other companies in the business of fixing them for free.

"Only" 14K? If decoded properly, that's much more than an Alexa, F3 or the like!
  • @nomad
    14k $
    (I know you are joking- I get it - but someone reading 1000 posts may not!) ;-P
  • http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?66210-Scarlet-X-Data-Sheet

WTF!!! If you record in 2k you will have a Crop of 3,9x - totally NO-GO
    When you like to shoot with wide-angle you have to shoot in 4k! Even with 4k you have a Crop of 1,6x (APS-C)
  • @Luc
    Thanks for posting the Red Scarlet X Data Sheet. Really looking forward to upgrading to this camera in the near future. The 2X crop factor at 3K resolution looks perfect - just what the doctor ordered for intercutting with the GH2!
  • For those who has ordered the red. or want a hardware supported render card.
    there is new hardware.....

DeckLink 4K - $595

The world’s most advanced 4K SDI capture card has the quality of SDI capture and playback with support for SD, HD, 2K and 4K. That’s incredible quality unmatched in the industry. DeckLink 4K is perfect for post production, broadcast and feature films and works in both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 with Dual Link HD or Quad Link 4K support. DeckLink 4K also supports advanced video and film color spaces, including REC601, REC709 and XYZ to meet DCI specifications. Shipping in November.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/models/

even record by hdmi
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/media/138815/decklinkstudio.png

i wish i had found them earlier, last month i did buy a other card (radeon with gpu render support)
  • here is a r3d file to mess around with captured on Red Epic #940 ready to download (shot at 5k)
    now you can check your pc hardware ;-)
    http://www.tomguilmette.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=31

Source: http://www.tomguilmette.com/archives/2830
  • If anyone on here is like me and has ordered a RED Scarlett-X via email confirmation and doesn't know when shipment will commence this is the official line from RED's Brent@RED .

"I have posted in a few places but will throw it in this thread as well. If you ordered online, you got an order confirmation email. That order confirmation is, well...your order confirmation. We don't need to email you a second order confirmation or call you. If we need to contact you for more info or any reason, we will. If not, we will begin order processing once product has been allocated to your order. If we called everyone to double-confirm, we'd spend all day confirming and not order processing :)

If you ordered on the phone, your rep can give you your SO (sales order) number as a confirmation. No "auto-email" is sent as when you place on RED.com. We always will direct you to RED.com so you can agree to terms and conditions of sale, can see accessory options, get order confirmation email for your records, etc.

And, as Jim has said - and I have said in other threads - we are pretty slammed. People are running on Red Bull fumes.... If you need to contact us, by all means, please do. If you don't NEED to, we do ask that you be patient. Our number one call and number one email is "When will my order ship?". We don't know the exact date/time, trust me. As soon as we have general timeframes on how deliveries are going (remember, we have not started yet), we will be able to give estimations..."

It appears that on your confirmation order number the last 5 digits indicate where in line you are but dont expect a call from your RED BombSquad team yet - they are snowed under with orders.

Nick
    PS I have two Sony EX3s for sale! I am most certainly keeping my 3 GH2s and am dying to see what difference this Scarlett will give me, but hopefully it will be a decentish A Cam.
  • What are you guys planning on for Storage and Battery power?

I am thinking about a 128GB SSD (or two) and prores recorder, using a redmote and skipping on the LCD and sidehandle for now, and working out a belt / backpack power solution for handheld work.

I can't imagine having to constantly pop redvolts in and out of the side handle every 20 minutes on 64GB cards, seems like a serious limitation killing creativity... Plus, it takes too long to recharge the redvolts at 3hrs+, so you'd need 8 precharged just to get thru a half day, before the next recharged one is available?

Any ideas of better solution?
  • Defon gonna hack the SSD. JUst gonna open it up, buy identical or try out better drives and drive copy over whatever they put on the original drive. :-) Can't be that difficult.
  • Check out this free tutorial on RedCine X Pro (free lab software for red footage)