Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony RX100 IV M4 4K 1000fps camera
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • I'm using a SanDisk ExtremePro UHS-3 that I previously used with my BMPCC and it's working fine as well.

• The Transcend 64 GB UHS-I U3 (TS64GSDU3) works properly. The Lexar was probably defective (or a counterfeit), as the playback speed after a bracket burst is twice as fast on the Transcend.

• The old nex cams of a few years back would overheat, it was a nightmare.

I cant believe this is happening again. Shame on sony for releasing a camera that overheats very easily. Kind of unethical if you ask me.

• @cls105 Why do you think Sony implemented the 5 min restriction? Certainly wasn't the camera's buffer or write speed, or HFR wouldn't be possible, either. That the RX10 II can reach 30 min with the exact same processing hardware is pretty telling. I haven't run into any overheating yet, though most of my clips are 10-30 seconds long.

• Vimeo:

Same on Youtube:

• @Angry_C Are you using the cam on a drone ? Is it the Phantom 2 ? I can't find info on any stabilisation inside the RX100 IV

• Shot some scenes trying out the 25p/100fps in real life with people, not waterdrops, balloons or other effects. Wanted to see if there's some artifacts etc in this mode. Very impressed so far. Not without weaknesses but great b-cam to the A7s imo.

The RX100 IV made us feel a bit like Goldilocks. The Ricoh GR costs less and captures more detail, but it lacks a viewfinder, provides just one focal length, and isn’t really built for video. The Canon G7 X also costs less, but lacks a finder and cannot match the video acrobatics of the Sony. Panasonic’s LX100, again less pricey, probably makes the most compelling alternative since it offers a finder, very similar zoom and aperture ranges, and a unique 4K still capture mode that makes it easy to pull a single frame from your video.

http://www.popphoto.com/camera-test-sony-cyber-shot-rx100-iv

sales41.jpg
    800 x 344 - 67K
  • Can anyone compare it to bmpcc? (with slog vs bmfilm settings), sensor size is pretty similar. It is possible in rx100 to reduce sharpness in settings? Thanks!

• Um, what kind of comparison would you want? That seems a little like apples and oranges.

Having both, without doing a side-by-side, I can say:

4K vs 1080p, great 120fps 1080p and decent 240fps almost 1080p vs no high speed,fixed lens vs interchangeable lenses, mediocre battery life vs terrible battery life, ability to partially or wholly run off of usb power vs no usb power, fast/good autofocus vs barely functional autofocus...

And as far as s-log2 vs bmpcc film, I seem to be able to pull a little more out of bmpcc film, but it's close enough that I don't think it would be a major decision-maker for me.

• Overheating in 4K. Here is what the Sony manual says:

"Recording 4K movies with this product

• This product has 4K movie recording functions that allow you to create short film-like video clips in high quality. The continuous recording duration for 4K movies is approximately 5 minutes. [knew that]

• If you finish recording a 4K movie and want to record another, turn the power off for several minutes before turning it back on and resuming recording. [what?]

• Even if the recording duration is less than 5 minutes, depending on the temperature of the recording environment, the power may turn off to protect the product." [you got to be kidding?]

You cannot be assured you will be able to shoot consecutive short clips in 4K without a shutdown. This makes any serious shooting in 4K worthless.

https://docs.sony.com/release/DSCRX100M4_4K_notes.pdf

• @markr041

It looks problem here is current Sony LSI that requires good heatsink.

• Promised rolling shutter improvement only appears to apply when using electronic shutter in stills mode and in 120 fps video. 4K video is highly prone to rolling shutter and most of the 1080p modes appear to offer little, if any, improvement when compared to the RX100 Mark III. Only in 1080/120p is there a noticeable improvement, but this is of little consolation if you're trying to shoot 24p footage for that cinematic look.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-iv/

• ^^^^^^

is the 1000FPS full hd?? looks like 720P to me..