Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony RX100 IV M4 4K 1000fps camera
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • why don't they give us some different frame rates ....i.e more 240 & 480fps samples as well as 120fps. But what this shows is even the 960 could be useful with non detail oriented subject matter....like the smoke ...from the roman candle for example

• @kurth

It is good idea to click on the links.

• oh shxt ! does that mean I have to actually read dpreview ? oh nooooo.....

well...I was almost right ! one 240fps sample !...and they choose a subject where it's not easily apparent to see the slowmotion because the real motion is not common .....like someone walking for example ! Stupid dpreview as always !

• @kurth I've got one. What do you want me to record? ;) I've got a UHS-1 U3 card coming in this afternoon so I can use 100mbps (stupid card limitations).

• @BlueBomberturbo great !.....a xavc file at 1080/120p ...pleez and thanks

• @kurth S-Log2 or normal?

• @BlueBomberTurbo- wouldn't it be great to compare them both ...but if only one s-log2

• @bluebomber Show me how well it fills and empties the dishwasher and and makes dinner.

some ungraded low light s-log 2 would be good to see, and if DRO can be used in s-log 2 it would be good to see DRO cranked up to 5 with s-log2 however if this is possible you probably need a lot more than low light.

• OK, continuing with the kitchen theme... ;)

Camera Settings:

1080p120 XAVC S 100M 1/250s (Shutter Priority) 70mm

Downloads:

Standard 3,0,0 - ISO 2000 http://1drv.ms/1HQkVfF

S-Log2 - ISO 2000 http://1drv.ms/1HQkWAs

Custom Profile - ISO 500 (-1.7EV) http://1drv.ms/1HQkXEu

I've used Standard 3,0,0 on my A6000 before for near perfect colors straight out of the camera (as long as WB is correct). With my custom profile, I messed with many of the newly available color and gamma settings to get a profile that looks close to S-Log2, without the imposed minimum ISO of 1600. Still some tweaking left, then I have to see how well it grades, but it looks acceptable for now.

Also, no other color settings are available when you use a Picture Profile, so DRO is out. Though the idea of S-Log2 is to map the sensor's entire usable dynamic range to the image, so DRO wouldn't be necessary anyway. In that respect, you could technically shoot photos in something similar to sRAW: an image with the entire dynamic range of the sensor, but baked in color. And yes, S-Log2 (and all other Picture Profile settings) works in photo mode, too, with ISO 1600 minimum.

BONUS!

4K24 100M S-Log2 cat vid!
    http://1drv.ms/1CrsFEu

:3

• @BlueBomberTurbo

thanks amigo - bangup job....now let me take a peek

• was that his breakfast ? ....and that's about the best bloom video I've ever seen. the camera released his inner creative self !

• Put together a few sample clips from the weekend, lots of fun!

• I just picked one of these up and then stupidly went out of town without the manual - and I don't see the manual online at Sony's site yet. Is slog PP7 like on the A7s or is it a different profile? When I was messing around a little while ago, PP7 on the RX100 looked a little punchy to be a log profile.

Edit: Nevermind! I just realized that I could figure it out by pressing right while on the profile. PP7 is slog - it just looks brighter than I expected!

• @eatstoomuchjam It looks bright because the minimum ISO in S-Log2 is 1600. Normally, it appears about 1.7 stops underexposed, but if you're outside on a sunny day shooting at 1/50, you'll need at least the built in ND filter just for F/11, if not more.

• Ah! My sleep-deprived brain wasn't even thinking about the minimum ISO last night. Crazy that it's so high on the RX100! I can't wait to get out and shoot some stuff with it tomorrow. Who'd have thought my first camera capable of internal 4K recording would be so tiny?

• @eatstoomuch, i like cine 1 better, very flat, choose whatever iso you want

• Loving this camera, even if ACR/LR doesn't support it yet. :p Made my own custom profile to sneak into ACR. Pics are great so far:

Untitled-1.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 643K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    853 x 1280 - 536K
  • sales52.jpg
    800 x 539 - 168K
  • @Vitaliy Nobody likes Ken...

So, the IV doesn't like Lexar Professional 633x 64GB UHS-I U3 (LSD64GCBNL633), either. Crashes the camera after about 30 seconds on any 100mbps video. Got a Transcend 64 GB UHS-I U3 (TS64GSDU3) coming in today. Hopefully it'll work better...

• I've been using the Transcend for the new Sony and my GH4 no problems at all.

• Ditto on Transcend cards - $30! Never had an issue with gh4, a7s, bm pocket...