Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 3
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Hi Dr driftwood and otherz^^.

Same than jfro. I like the option to have a balanced compromise in the L setting for long shot (under 50M like the FH mode that i use now), and a H killa setting (all that can eat the gh2 and my 'poor' SanDisk 30mb/s HD Video card).

@jfro you can go to the Quantum b4.
    Up to 64M for 24L (48M in FH) and 154M for 24H (88M in FSH)
  • @driftwood. I shot a job last weekend with Quantum V2 on 24p L mode. Was happy with the results and it does span on all my cards.
    I'm a little confused on the v3,4, & V5 now. Seems the L mode is getting pumped up and I'm happy with the L mode of 64 to get spanning and more time per gigabyte. I changed the mjpeg settings to 2fps for time exposures so just looking at your settings for the rest. Haven't tested 30fps, but will one of these days on interlaced.
    If I'm happy with the H (154) and L (64) settings for 24p at 1080 on V 2, so which version should I be using / testing of your Quantum settings?

Thanks again for your tireless & exceptional work.

On a unrelated note, I see where you put your patch on P Bloom's gh2. He is off to do a camera test & decided to include his hacked GH2 with your settings. He is going to be testing against a 7D, prototype Canon C300, Sony F3, FS100, sony NEX5N, & Panasonic af101. Should be interesting as they will be shooting a fair amount without much light at some castle in France amongst other places. You and the hack may be getting some significant exposure depending on how the tests go. Hope you gave him some pointers on SDHC cards, etc....
  • Quantum patch with the 25p and global shutter will be incredible I am sure
  • I had problems trying to run it, too. I had to reinstall X11, but wine works just fine now.

• @driftwood -- thanks for your continued work to both push the limits of the upper end while also getting a workable, spanning 100 mbps in L mode. When it comes together, and I'm sure it will, going to be a dynamite setup for anyone in the doc world.
  • IDK why everyone here suggests wine . . . I found it to be a PITA to get working (matter of fact, I couldn't get it running at all). VirtualBox just works.

Anyhow, my point was that a lot of folks just don't understand how this stuff works, because they've never had to plug in numbers, and they end up thinking it is really simple or sometimes think that PTools IS the hacked firmware . . . after walking throughout that part of the process a few times, I have a much deeper understanding of what eat hack is doing (not as deep an understanding as the hackers, for sure, but deeper than anybody who is just loading .ini files.)

Try it once or twice, its good for you (like vegetables)
  • just checked Quantum V5 24 P H Mode only: doesn't span on Sandisk 64 GB SDXC.
  • @Driftwood
    Just tried Quantum v5 on SanDisk 30mb/s HD Video cards. 24L - doesn't span for me and
    for my work I need this, so I'm jumping back to Qv4. Solid patch for me.
    Your attention to fine tuning these patches is amazing.
  • @nic2011 Trust me the H setting is better, just do a streamparser test and you'll see ;-). After a few seconds the i frame size for the L setting will drop to around 2/3rds of the max of the H setting. But 'L' is great for longer recordings and perfect for most shots especially during daylight. ie It will cover most situations and is far superior to stock. If you're after highly detailed scenes and best quality, stick to H but of course, it costs you in storage size.
  • @driftwood

>>...1080p24H The highest average frames over all other patches around!...INTRA 1080p24L has been taken upto 100M for longer recordings with better quality...>>

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work! But let me ask you a question: Do you really see a difference between 160mbps(H) and 100mbps(L) in this patch regarding IQ? If so, is it possible that you upload a frame comparison where one can see the differences quite clearly? Thanks in advance...
  • @shian Quite interested in you getting invoved on our skin tones test. See Art>skin tones showreel if youre in.
  • Sometimes, if you're not logged in, you can't access the files (ini and embedded images) sometimes it's as simple as checking to see if you're logged in.
  • @B3Guy
    Why is ANYONE having issues with .ini files? I download the files with Safari, the boot up PTools with Wine. Put the .ini's in that I want to use in the root of PTools, (put the ini's before launch is initiated) and away you go.

I have never had an issue with downloading ANY file off personal view...
  • I've been manually entering ALL numbers, due to none of the web browsers within bootcamp recognizing .ini files as downloadable. IMO, EVERYONE should do it this way (manual entry) a couple of times, even if it is just mirroring someone else's (driftwood e.g.) settings (as I have been doing). Open the .ini file in a text reader, it is all there, and corresponds to check boxes and their parameters within PTools. It gives one an extra level of understanding of PTools and how complex this crap is. (And would shut up many pointless questions concerning "what the hack does" or "how ptools works")
  • @FGCU Nice Looks great... @driftwood another one... but thanks for coming up with new improved version of the Quantum patch, now it's time for me to buy my 95mb/s 64gb card..
  • @FGCU Patches for testers in ptools, uncollapse >Frame Buffers/Limits see 1080p Frame Limit - change it from 6108888 to 6208888.
  • fuck ya!
    Thank you driftwood!
  • *** NEW **** Quantum BETA 5 ****
    Thee 720p60p / 1080i60 test!!!!
    Both settings are now on much higher bitrate together with GOP3 (inc analysis of encoder settings to achieve better stability) higher frame limit and better temporal quality. They are at their peaks and are looking very good on cadence.
    1080p24H The highest average frames over all other patches around! Totally spatial!*
    *Sandisk 64Gb 95mbps users before saving firmware can take the 1080p frame limit upto to 6208888 without problems if you would. This will bring you over the 800k mark for i frames (constant) :-)
    INTRA 1080p24L has been taken upto 100M for longer recordings with better quality - please test for spanning.
    MJPEG Stabilised (as before with slightly lower bitrate and table analysis) and is stil better than has been seen before in other patches.
    Test away!

Dr Driftwood ;-)
    Driftwood 'Quantum' BETA 5 - setd.zip
    796B
  • @bkmcwd my bad, I didn't even check that cuz I assumed it was mp4. Downloading now. Thanks
  • @bkmcwd can you make the mts file available for dwnld, so I can take a crack at it with ColorGHear?
  • @soru
    Thank you for your beautiful samples. :-)
    I improved 3GOP patch a little again.
    Please try.

NOTE:
    In this patch, it is ignored except 24p(24H).

UPDATE(2011.Dec.25th):
    Second patch is renewal version.

bkmcwd 3GOP 1M Max Frame Size Test Patch.zip
    656B
    bkmcwd 3GOP 1M Max Patch ISO12800.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    bkmcwd 3GOP 1M_Max_Patch_Trees.JPG
    1295 x 635 - 199K
    bkmcwd 3GOP Economical Over 1M Max Frame Size Patch.zip
    737B
    bkmcwd Economical Over 1M Max Frame Size Patch ISO12800.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 199K
  • @gh2hacked, @driftwood
    I ran a few more tests of Quantum Beta 4, MJPEG HD & VGA.
    I have no problems with running MJPEG HD, normal shooting style and rapid pan/tilt action for outdoor shot, settings below. No crashing.
    As for MJPEG VGA, when I press record, usually crashes in within 3 to 5 seconds. If indoors, ISO3200, 3800K WB, 1/60 or 1/400, rapid pan/tilt, will crash in 5-10 seconds. If outdoors, ISO160, ND6, 5200K WB, 1/60 or 1/400, rapid pan/tilt, mostly will not crash, yet will crash when I stop rapid camera movement. If no rapid camera movement, crashes in a few seconds. Confused? Perhaps data rate has become too high for MJPEG VGA, or higher ISO noise adds to the crashing? Not sure what changed between Quantum Beta 3 and 4 to cause this.
  • @All thanks for these mjpeg results - I have deliberately pushed it close to the limits on the bitrate, now I need to analyse the table quality settings and mess with them accordingly.
  • @driftwood
    I personally think the data size is large enought. Perhap you can add a patch that balance between stability, quality and data rate? That would be great.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions