Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
"THE PATCH" - for GH2 Hack - Developed by APEFOS
  • 128 Replies sorted by
  • @haribabis I agree. I only mean that gh3 vs gh2 hack is not very large difference. Both cameras will have noise.

• @apefos I have same recordings of more patches that I have not compared yet. Including denoise24, The patch setg, patch2000h, setj8000h. patch dcn6, sedna Aq1, Canis night, intravenus 2....

• @Manicd please show all if you can, it will be very useful, also some video as you said. you are helping to do another finetune on things. I am doing some more study in chroma matrices, it seems that chroma matrices likes higher quantization, the opposite of luma. if you can, include the dcn4 1600s or 1600h (dcn4 works better under iso 1600)

• @apefos I tried a long list of patches before. Now, a screenshot is not a video, and a video, shot in some specific situation, is not exactly what you find when you're working in real world.

While shooting in real world (indoor, outdoor, sun, rain, morning, evening) your last patches are unmatched (considering artifacts, banding, moiré, lines, noise, flickering, whatelse... And texture); talking about chroma, well, maybe some improvement is possible. I'm just supposing it is possible.

• I have dcn4 1600h :)

• @frullaccia this is what I was pursuing since the begining, good to know.

About chroma, I did a test now. I increased the quantization in a similar design inpired on Denoise and Moon, but not so big increase, to perceive small differences. The chroma noise becomes small, not so much, but I can see the difference, but the problem is: textures got mud, it flattens the surfaces. It seems there is no free lunch in color, it seems to be a choice between good texture with some noise or flat surfaces less noise. I am trying to find a sweet spot now, in quantization and design, I will priorize texture, less possible noise with good texture.

• @frullaccia The comparison I am doing is to sort through these patches to find which patch is good to try for the real world projects I want to shoot. This comparison is just one step of many. I have recorded 16 patches in iso 160, 640, 1250, 2500, 6400, 12800. This will allow me to narrow down the patch choices and then shoot the project in real world. The comparison is for me but I know it will help others to sort through which patches to try out for their taste.

• Here is first video at 640 iso

• @Manicd the youtube compression does not allow to see significant differences... would it be possible to upload a render at 300Mbps gop1 (intraframe) to dropbox or other file sharing? only 10 seconds, or one movement of the water is enough.

there is one light missing in the computer hardware in the moon test, seems to be the reason the blue hardware is more grey, but in the water it shows less strong colors than others.

• @apefos You are right I forgot to turn on a second light source for moon t8. I can redo it easily. Although I might redo everything for a few reasons, including the mistake of using the kit lens 14-42 which required new focus for each patch loaded. So it is possible for human error to be involved. The other lens I have is canon fd 50mm.

Also I forgot about iso bug 160-320-640-1250. Although only 320 appears affected in my camera.

I have some thinking to do about my testing setup and if I can find a better quality and faster method so that I can include many more patches.

I am unfamiliar with premiere pro, so I don't know everything it's capable of rending out. But I will find something good.

I think I will redo at 300% or 400% crop. This was only 200%.

• For quality perceiving 400% is better

premiere pro render settings:

Export Settings (window):

Format: H.264

Video (Tab):

1920x1080 or 1280x720 (same as you record)

Frame rate: same as you record

Profile: High

Level 5.1

Render at maximum deph enabled

Bitrate encoding: CBR

Target Bitrate: 300

Key Frame Distance: 1

Use maximum render quality enabled

• @Manicd you said you have interest in developing patches, please read this topic, if you think you can survive the things in the topic you can do patches:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11273/firmware-upgrade-things-to-do-while-you-wait

• Yes I saw that a few days ago, its good. A raw level of creativity, humor, and insight.

I tried reading bible years ago. Only made it to I think Exodus and then stopped. I probably won't be able to make a complete patch but I would be interested to read topics and information to pass time. I'm recording moon t8 again and then editing again to 350 or 400% crop of things. I might leave out the water motion, I don't think that test worked as intended. I wanted real motion but I have nothing small enough or slow enough that can be repeatable for camera.

• @Manicd try water falling from a tap, see

I am doing progress in fallback chroma matrix, iso 2000 is looking like 800

• Good idea. I will try that in the future once I narrow down to smaller group of patches.

• I did it, best noise reduction in luma and chroma.

The stable version is pretty good, I think there is no need to use the high datarate version, but it is here also.

Matrices improved with ideas from denoise patches and moon, also flowmotion, not a copy from them, a new custom design. I also tested a little more quantization than this, but it started to hurt textures, so it is in the sweet spot. I did try in all positions of the matrix, first digits, last digits, respecting the dct frequency in luma all matrix and in chroma first digits, last digits of chroma are high quantization to improve the noise reduction and do not hurt.

It is good to have neatvideo inside the camera!!! (not so powerful as the software is, but very good.)

To my eyes iso 2000 is the new 800.

works for all isos 6400 and below in same patch.

Maximum safe iso is now 6400, iso 8000 starts to show flickering from the sensor impossible to remove.

please users, say your opinion after tests.

the_end_stable_high.zip
  • 8000 iso has no need anyways, maybe rare small part of video. Otherwise only use is for survellance, home-family video or special "art" project.

I'm recording now with your patch. But will take a long time for me to edit everything again. I'm slow.

Only way 8000 iso could be useful is if all noise was removed and still had good detail! But that is just fantasy.

• @apefos You have been doing these patches since last year with many changes and information about superb image quality etc. I would like to know how you evaluate the image quality and if you have any comparative tests to show the differences between versions.

• tokina 16-50 16mm f2.8 WB 5600K

• @Manicd Of course. And I appreciate!

• @haribabis nice test, you are the cave man! It seems all of us are... just some sense of humor. did you use the last setg with denoise improvements?

• @apefos yes, setg. Edited in edius export CBR 12MBps. minimum and maximum bitrate shows 40+ to 70 +. I wonder if ti is stable with 45mbps sandisk in scenes with fast motion and details.... (Cavemen are our friends!)

• Last setg with denoise improvements, my tests with neatvideo conclusions:

avoid iso 2500 it shows flickering in hbr and 24p.

720p does not show flickering, good up to iso 6400.

the image up to iso 2000 is pretty good in all recording modes, including face in low light.

neatvideo performance shows less trembling using temporal denoise "1" and luma spatial denoise 30, chroma spatial 100, and chroma +50 in first sliders, selecting the area in a fine grain instead of a gross dark area works better:

neatvideo works ok in iso 3200, can be useful for low light.

iso 2000 and below is just great after denoise.

isos 4000, 5000 and 6400 denoise ok if you need to get the shoot, also works, some film grain in post can save them, excellent results considering it is the old GH2.

avoid iso 2500 in 24p and hbr, shows flickering.

• Another sample test with more patches on screen, 425% crop, 160 and 640 iso. I will finish the higher iso's if this setup is of any use.

http://d-h.st/SLyb 100mb file

Although I think I cropped and zoomed too much with too many patches on screen.