Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Slo Mo in 1080
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • If your NLE understood that your clip is actually interlaced it will most likely create full frames out of the interlaced footage if you set speed to 50%. This might not give you the best possible quality, but will be suitable in many cases.

• @videohq @Meierhans

if you are shooting 60i, you only have 29.97 effective 'full' frames

it IS 29.97FramesPerSecond. Each frame contains two fields.

These are a very common but inaccurate ways to intend interlaced footage; with 60i you have 60 fields and NO frame.

Two consecutive fields doesn't make a frame because they haven't been taken at the same right moment in time.

And going from 60i to 60p doesn't involve blending frames (there are no frames to blend) but it's more like an up-res "thing".

• @rikyxxx So basically they're wrapping 2 interlaced frames into 1 whole frame in a 29.97 timeline? So how do I get the 60i back or make it simple, how do I get the darn 60P out of this?

• @gh2hacked

There are two ways to get frames from interlaced material.

The best one is taking each "1/2 frame" (the field) and using the 1/2 frames from before and after to create a full frame, by interpolating the info you have. Of course what you get it's not like true 60p because half of output pixels are "artificial".

The other one is going directly from 60i to 30p by "fitting" two consecutive fields each other. The bad thing about it is that half of the temporal picture is thrown away and that's why the previous method is the one to choose for slo-mo purpose.

• See attatched an example of an AVISynth script. Works fine with interlaced or progressive videos. Based on QTGMC or Yadif for interlaced videos and subsequently MVTools if slowmo rate is <0.5x. If video is progressive it works only with MVTools.

Can also be used to tranform from 50i/60i to 50p/60p.

Same script is available as AvsPMod macro to make it easier also to archieve script files: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2232/different-times-at-one-location-extended-dynamic-range-solution-for-1080p-videos/p1

SowMotionVid.txt