Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • What is the maximum recording length possible if shooting 720p/30 (assume US or Canada model)?

And 1080p/30? TIA.

• Just found that 58mm Opteka lens conversion adapter tube for G7 fits lx100. If there are an appropriate ND filter or a macro lense already they can be attached to the camera without load to the moving part of the lx100 lense.

GOPR4470.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 266K
  • Anyone have any tips on settings. Especially around Photo Style / profiles?

These are mine:-

AF Mode = one area WB = AUTO

REC Photo Style 1/7 = Standard, contrast-3, sharpness-5, NR-5, Saturation 0 AFS/AFF/AFC 1/7 = AFS Metering Mode 1/7 = Centre Screen Highlight Shadow 2/7 = shadow 0 and highlights 0 i.Dynamic 2/7 = off i.Resolution 3/7 = off ISO Increments 5/7 = 1/3EV Stabiliser 6/7 = Vert & Hor

MOTION Photo Style 1/4 = Standard, contrast-3, sharpness-5, NR-5, Saturation 0 4K Photo 1/4 = on AFS/AFF/AFC 1/4 = AFS Continuous Auto Focus 2/4 = off Metering Mode 2/4 = Centre Screen Highlight Shadow 2/4 = shadow 0 and highlights 0 i.Dynamic 2/4 = off i.Resolution 3/4 = off Mic Level Display 3/4 = on Mic level Adj. 3/4 = 2 Wind Cut 4/4 = Auto

CUSTOM Custom Modes 1/9 = ???? Silent Mode 1/9 = off AF/AE Lock 1/9 = AF/AE AF/AE Lock Hold 1/9 = on Shutter AF 2/9 = on Half Press Release 2/9 = off Quick AF 2/9 = off Eye Sensor AF 2/9 = on Pinpoint AF Time 2/9 = mid Pinpoint AF Display 3/9 = PIP AF Assist Lamp 3/9 = on Direct Focus Area 3/9 = off Focus/release Priority 3/9 = release AF+MF 3/9 = off MF Assist 4/9 = focus MF Assist Display 4/9 = PIP MF Guide 4/9 = on Peaking 4/9 =on Histogram 4/9 = on Guide line 5/9 = grid Highlight 5/9 = on Zebra 5/9 = zebra1 95% Mono Live View 5/9 = off Constant Preview 5/9 = on Expo meter 6/9 = on Dial Guide 6/9 = on LVF Disp. Style 6/9 = icons within Monitor Disp. Style 6/9 = icons within Monitor Info. Style 6/9 = on Fn Button Set 7/9 = Fn1= Custom Set Zoom Lever 7/9 = Default Control Ring 8/9 = ISO Zoom Resume 8/9 = off Q.Menu 8/9 = Custom iA Button Switch 8/9 = Press and Hold Video Button 8/9 = on Eye Sensor 9/9 = High / Mon

• i've been out of the loop with filming for a bit but i just received this camera and unboxed. Man, i love how it feels. Its a big difference between that and the RX100. I don't think its right to compare this to the RX100mkIII more RX1. Love the menus. Easy to get around. Will post more as i get into to it.

• Does anyone know if it might be possible to use the wifi app to control multiple LX100s at once? I'm thinking of using several of them in a multi-cam setup where they'll be rigged in hard-to-access spots and it would be amazing to be able to trigger them all at once.

I adore the image quality on this little guy and it's a killer value. Would really love to use it for this setup, but don't know if it'll be possible without being able to control multiple cameras at once.

Thanks for your insight!

• Re. card speeds, I've been using the 60MB/s SanDisk Extremes, both 64 and 128GB, to record 4K without any problems, and they're more economical than the Extreme Pros.

• Does anyone have any experiences with using different SD cards and 4k recording on the LX-100? I have had problems with two types of cards, the latest being Integral Ultima Pro X 64 GB cards which I've tested at 54MB/s write times. I also have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 16 GB card which writes at 64MB/s.

With the Integral card, I have had the LX-100 complain that it can't write fast enough and it stops recording. I haven't tested the Sandisk Extreme Pro card, but I was hoping that the 54MB/s write speed of the Integral would be fast enough for 4k on the LX-100. I've reformatted the 64GB Integral card with the SD card formatter application from the SD association and then re-formatted in camera.

Hopefully the Integral doesn't give me any more problems, or I guess I have to reserve them for HD only and save up for the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards for 4k.

• @moet_chandon I find this annoying in the reverse. I live in Europe, but when I visit my family in Canada I am stuck with 25p. That and the fact that Panasonic charges much more for the PAL versions of the same camera.

I really don't like that, and I'm glad that the Olympus EM-5 II is a world camera as that will be replacing my GX7 for straight 1080p and longer lenses (as the Panasonic 35-100 OIS is crap for video).

• Hello,

i live in europe. and i really miss the option for 4k@30p will there be a hack for switching from pal to ntsc?

thank you

• So we went out the other day and messed around to see what this little Beast can do! Here are the samples:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpFx1ian2-EoNqLfRKnpILK0hgEkOPhRN

• For portable cameras I personally would prefer an good on board mic. The problem though is wind noise. I think if they choose not to allow an external mic the on-board one should be able to handle common windy conditions.

• If the successor of LX100 has a mic input and manual zoom like what was found in Fuji X10/X20/X30 series, then I will buy one for me.

• LX100 topic...... not underwater stuff, i suggest different topic.

• @kkfok: I didn't try this with the 3,5'' dome because I used it mainly for wideangle in Fakarava. For focusing on subjects of around 50 cm I rather would use the standard rectangular port. @ karl: correction I did use the housing without camera for the test dive.

• @danz, I could only test the housing in my bath tub, subjects were around 50-60cm from the dome port and I found my camera could only focus at the subjects with AF-Macro mode.

• @karl: After the alarm I noticed some drops in the housing. I have put the housing immediately in a horizontal position with the dome downside. I noticed then that there was about 0,5 to 1 cm in the dome. I kept the housing in that position and I surfaced waitig for the boat to come and I asked the captain to keep the housing in the horizontal position. Then I turned the dome off and removed the water. I cleaned and let it dry for a night. What part was leaking? I honestly don't know. I cleaned and waxed the earring of the door and the dome. And I double checked if the handle for the on/off buttom was well as far as possible down. Next I did a test dive without housing and it didn't leak. Pfff hé, hé...

@ kkfok: Do you mean focusing in AF macro behind the 3,5'' dome? That sounds strange? I think I am missing your point.

• @danz, Yes, will definitely do both passes, plan to do the trip on early 2016 with Rangiroa. How's the corner sharpness of the dome? Do you need to step down the lens? I found that I could only focus with AF-Macro underwater behind the dome, do you have the same experience?

• @danz: So after the alarm rang there was only so little water inside that it didn't reach vital parts before you resurfaced?

Can you say what part of the housing was leaking? And how you fixed the cause of the leak?

@kkfok: You use you palm as a reference? Unless you're a Zombie, your palm is supposed to have a healthy rosy tint, much unlike grey... ;-)

If you don't have a grey card with you, you can use the greyish exteriour of aluminium gas tanks of nearby divers, or you can use sandy patches on the ground, but only if they are not speckled with algae.

I can confirm that the GH2 custom white balance function was unable to compensate for strongly tinted ambient light such as experienced underwater, but correction in post was still possible - and the image could still benefit from the better luminance information without a filter. Luckily, the LX100 is much better than the GH2 with regards to custom white balance compensation.

• @kkfok: Yeah Fakarava is great. If you go you should dive both passes: north and south. I mostly used the 3.5 dome. And I can confirm that the alarm is working. At 13 meter it suddenly went on and that saved my camera and housing.