Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lenses for Canon FD mount
  • 188 Replies sorted by
  • ciecio7 adaptor is great, I have one also. milled form solid duraluminum, nothing better.
  • @LongJohnSilver
    I have a Canon 50mm 1.4 after my grandfather, from the 70s. It is a little soft, but the video perfectly suited for me. As for the adapter, I use this fd m4 / 3 from ciecio7 from ebay.
  • Hi,
    not to hijack the thread...

I have the opportunity to get the Canon 50mm 1.4 or the Yashica 50mm ML 1.4 nearly at the same price. But for the Canon I have to buy the adapter while I laready have the C/Y adapter.

Someone got the chance to test the Yashica Vs the Canon?

Thanks
  • that pin (I think) should poke into the lens. I had the same thing on my 17mm Tokina, and I was bummed. IDK what it actually did, but I removed the FD-Adaptall back from the lens, and the back hooked to the FD-M4/3 adapter just fine. Then I hooked both back onto the lens body. Maybe try fiddling with the aperture ring on the lens? or just gently prod the pin?
  • Got my 55mm today, looks very nice ;)
    Will play with it this weekend...

With the Breech lock of the 55 I had to modify the Novoflex adapter. I needed to drill a small (1,5mm) hole in the adapter for the AE switch pin.... but.... now I look more closely I see the pin going away when I turn the aperture ring from "A"........ so the adapter is fine.
  • Today I got the 200mm and Novoflex adapter.
    It is totally awesome! I like it a lot although you need an tripod for filming with this lens... focus is butter smooth.
    When full open you see a small dust particle and when stopped down 1 stop the aperture looks a little rough.
    Something I did not know is there are 2 versions, apparently I have the second version which focuses internal and closer to 1.5 meters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_200_mm_lens

Maybe I bring them to be serviced, my Canon CPS card is still valid :)

The Novoflex adapter is also very nice made, there is no play and fits very precise.
  • @lolo
    Just google the lens, there is a lot of info on Canon lenses available.
  • @AmandaNL , yeap, yhank you for answering, but are they any good?
  • @lolo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FL
    quote: It was in turn replaced in 1971 by the Canon FD lens mount. FL lenses can also be used on FD-mount cameras.

Ordered also the 55mm 1.2
    Adapter from novoflex is in backorder :(

55mm.jpg
    750 x 616 - 333K
  • hello!
    does anyone has ever tried the canon FL?
    i´ve heard that we can attached the FL to the FD mount adapter, but they are of good quality?, does anyone know?
  • Today I bought an FDn 200mm f2.8 @ ebay.
    Hope to get it this week :-)

Now I have to get an adapter....
    DSC_5594.JPG
    800 x 531 - 141K
  • ya, except I picked mine up helping an elderly friend lean how to use the interweb. one of those "gems you find in a cardboard box at grandma's" situations. I've seriously considered the 14mm, but I think I'm set with lenses for a while. I have several good workhorses and its high time I dealt with my audio situation.
  • @B3Guy
    Check 14mm Samyang also if you like this lens. It is also very sharp and feels good. And can be got for even less (see our deal topic about it)
  • Update: Tamron Adaptall-2 17mm 3.5 absolutely KILLS!!! Tack sharp, great tactile feel to the whole thing, If you want them, flares are reasonably easy to evoke . . . insane deep blue/purple with a rose haze if you get it just right. 34mm equiv. simply kills! Looks like you can pick them up for around $300 or so USD. If I get a second GH, I'll get a second one of these, its that good.
  • Haha... well what do you know, i fixed the issue with Canon FD 20-35mm f3.5L. All it needed was a good quality Japanese Hoya UV Filter. All the problems are gone. I like the colors from this more than my 20mm Pancake. The vase is a Screen-grab of the video frame.

pot.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    hoya.jpg
    586 x 516 - 268K
    hoya2.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 338K
  • The problem with zooms is the more elements they have the more vulnerable they will be to flare/ghosting...and the faster/more expensive e.g f2.8 longer zooms will not have the resolution performance of a slower e.g. f4 of the same focal length because of many more elements in the design. I personally have found that some of the old Zeiss Contax T* short focal length zooms perform better than my Nikkor AIs or FD's.

An interesting place to have a look at tests is:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/
  • @Tesselator: what do you think of the Canon FD 20-35mm f3.5L. The one i have performs very poorly in any direction except with the sun/overcast light behind the lens. Contrast and colour washes out big time. It's like there is no coating on the lens at all. If i put my finger in front of the lens blocking part of it, the true colour and contrast of the background appears in a halo around my finger. All my FD's do this to a degree, but this is extreme to the point the lens is unusable outdoors and at f3.5 useless indoors.

I expected much better performance from an expensive red band L lens than this.
    Is this a coating issue?

R
  • Hey! I was just given a Tamron Adaptall-2 17mm in FD mount. Has anyone used this lens? build quality is out of this world, and I'm trying to decide if I should just get a FD-M4/3 adaptor, or if I should also get along with it and Adaptall-M4/3?
  • I will be receiving an FD Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5 any day now, I'll post my findings.
  • @Tesselator thanks for the info :)
  • Oh, and the MFD on the yashica 24/2.8 is about 8 inches. But you can get 7" stopped down just a little bit and closer yet stopped way down.

• @Jive

It depends that focal lengh you need.
    Plus, my understanding is that you do not need very fast lens for food, as you set proper lighting and need enough DOF.
    Look at 80-200mm F4 L I recommended above (but it'll be 160-400mm :-) ).
    I am not very big fan of 20 or 24mm legacy lenses as modern ones are normally much better.
  • The FD 20/2.8 and the FD 24/2.0 both are. the 24/2.0 is actually better than the FD 24L. Focal length of course depends on your setup. Remember 50mm is 100.5mm on the M4/3. If you've got plenty of room to work - (large room) 50 to 85mm may just be what you want/like. If you're on desktop or one of those mini light-box stage thingys tho I recommend something in the 20 to 35mm neighborhood. Even an awesome zoom like i just mentioned above would do you, Zooms typically suffer less from CA, purple fringing and etc. so IMO it you can get something reasonably flatfield-ish that covers 24 or 28mm to about 70 or 80mm that would totally be the way to go.

Disclaimer:
    I've never done professional food photography so I could be talking out my ass. :D I did a lot of stage and texture photography for the movie industry tho. Stage to match set and lighting in CG/FX and texture photography for CG model building. That was my life from the early 80's till just recently when I retired. I taught the subject at Uni (in Japanese LOL) too. :)

• Thanks. I asked because I'm looking for a good lens for product/food photography w/GH2. What is the minimum focusing distance on that lens?

Anyone know of any good FD mount lenses for food photography? I currently have a 50mm 1.4 and a 28mm 2.8.
  • The Yashica ML 24mm f/2.8 - It's a C/Y mount. I think it's the best 24mm lens I have tried so far. I think it's the poor man's Zeiss 21mm - which is only better in the corners of a full-frame image (from my research). The Yashica 24/2.8 typically goes for between $200 and $400 depending on condition, accessory, and seller desperation. :) I auctioned one for $240 not long ago and was kinda pissed that it went so cheap. BTW, all my lenses are always for sale. I buy, try, and sell'em. It's the only way I can keep the river flowing - I highly recommend everyone do that actually - unless your productions demand specifics and are all-time-consuming. ;)