Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 2
  • 1022 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood
    Fantastic shot. Is this your wife? How you deceived her, so she walked from left to right and back? You have a child? A boy or a girl. I'll have a girl :-).
  • I haven't had a chance to review the original high quality files (I just watched them on vimeo). A lot of people say the new GOP1 patch looks "amazing," etc. etc. ...but what are the actual areas of improvement this new patch introduces?

I mean that as a genuine question, and not a critical remark. Thanks again @driftwood for your hard work!
  • @Mihuel No not wife, girl friend. The pushchair was a young woman just right (out of picture) showing her son the new day dawn... isn't it great how you can position a camera and tell a completely different story.
  • @bumkicho No. 720/60 fps GOP1 and 50 isnt sorted yet... I have settings that Im reluctant to give out at the moment cus theyre nowhere near finished.

@qwerty123 You'll have to try it to judge for yourself. :-)
  • @driftwood keep them coming your footage is amazing GOp1 v3 for the win yeah!!!
  • Wow, haven't been around here for a while... this stuff looks amazing!

@driftwood "... isn't it great how you can position a camera and tell a completely different story"

+1

I've always said, now that we're not dealing with film-stock and exposing with light meters, the DP and director should be merged into one position. A director that doesn't know how to position/move a camera is no director... ;)

...back on topic, I love the 1GOP settings! So great! True cinematic motion!
  • @bwhitz Yeah long time no see bwhitz, GOP1 looking good... :-)
  • Hi, any test shoot of GOP with and without? I don't undestand exactly what are the benefits of GOP? is better video because video have less compression? sorry for my ignorance
  • Fun... 640iso f1.9 1/50th
    Comp 1 (0.00.14.09).jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 930K
  • @PerryWilson

Wow, WTF over...
    Now how the heck did you do it? lol
  • wish I had a vimeo pro account... y'all should see this in HD motion :)) heres another 320iso f/1.9 1/50th custom wb
    00009 (0.00.25.06).jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
  • If I had to guess I would say that he poured 151 proof rum over the bottle and lit it on fire... Just a guess... What lens?
  • lysol burns blue only... no red its a high heat quick burn... 151 is slow and burns orange and blue...
  • and elitor soligon 75mm 1.9, my favorite piece of glass so far, until my cieve7 oct-18 adapter comes in so i can use all my sexy russian ladies
  • Which ones do you own? Helios, Jupiter and Tair over here…
  • 1 jupiter and 2 lomo cinema primes...
  • @Stray
    Thank you for the usual advice!
    I understand your opinion very well.
    It seems that however, my strange settings of these days are not necessarily twice the speed as far as I get to know.
    But I decided to stop these strange settings and to make them simpler as you said me. :-)

Although this may resemble the patch which someone made in the past, I made this 3GOP AQ2 setting instantly.
    It seems that frame size does not become small rather than a former my settings in this at the time of low stress.
    This cleared the moving Pappas chart test.
    However, depending on conditions, recording may stop at Stray's chart test on the way sometime.
    I think that I will use this for a while since it is completely satisfactory when actually using.

NOTE:
    Sorry, I have ignored except a setup of 24H.
    176M3GOPFBx1unckd_pp.JPG
    1294 x 634 - 206K
    176M3GOPFBx1unckd_st.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 199K
    setd.zip
    480B
  • @bkmcwd Nice, that looks very good. Image quality wise I reckon thats going to surpass the GOP1 by a reasonable bit as well as being very close to it in terms of motion. I'll do a good series of shots with this one tomorrow. Thanks for this, my instincts tell me this is going to be quite special.
    Edit : Its B-Frames are pretty much hitting the size of the 176M GOP1s I-Frames in terms of size. I hope it doesn't rain too much tomorrow. :)
  • @Stray
    Thanks for your first impression!
    I wish that your premonition comes true. :-)
  • Anyone knows what is the max speed of gh2 sd controller? GH1 has ~80Mbps limit, as it tested.
  • @bkmcwd
    Hmm...GOP3 Nice! It looks good. Of course, it's built from driftwood's excellent 176M GOP1.

If this is stable with Stray's extreme dense chart, that appears to be very strong frames.
    I need to see how well the i-frames hold up under low light conditions.
    I believe that chart data is the best I've seen from the GH2.

Does this error on Stray's extreme dense (with motion), 1/1600 SS, ISO3200?

• @bkmcwd
    Amazing chart data.

I just tried it out and it kills my Transcend 32GB Ultimate after a few seconds. I guess you guys are all using the SanDisk Extreme cards? I might have to invest in those as well.
  • @sohus, yeah, but if you can hold off you may also wait for the results of driftwoods SD card showdown... or pick up a 16 gig SD extreme to keep you happily testing in the meantime.

@bkmcwd & @driftwood -- what's the status on 720 60p or even 1080 60i low GOP? I'm shooting some mixed martial art fighters training for a promo Thursday and would love to try something out (I can post results) -- obviously this is a situation where 24p is probably not the best option so would love to try out a hq low gop patch that does 60 frames either i or p.

(PS Don't care if it is unstable -- this is only a test shoot; real shooting won't happen for another week or two).
  • @JDN The status is 50p first, 60p next. I have a nice 720/50p GOP1 but every now and again it goes unstable so still working on it.
  • Here it is GOP1 PAL freaks. 1080p24 176M, 1080i50 & 720p50 226M 'SmackMyGOPUp' patch version 1. I expect to increase quality overall over the next few days and experiment with lower buffers. This, for now, works and is stable on the death charts. The 720p is particularly close to i frames in the stock setting but this contains ALL iframes - no 23 P low frames as found in the stock. Its high on the bitrate but thats the way it is with GOP1 :-) Enjoy!
    Driftwood GOP1 'SmackMyGOPUp' PAL Land Fest - setj.zip
    516B
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions