Personal View site logo
GoPro or 12-35mm F2.8 lens with GH3?
  • I have been shooting with my GH2 and GoPro Hero3 Black simultaneously for a few weeks now and I am getting the GH3 in two weeks. I bought the 35-100mm F2.8 lens last week and I wanted to get the 12-35mm F2.8 lens as well. However, I just couldn't afford both lenses.

Instead I decided to get the GoPro Hero 3 Black which shoots excellent 2.7K @ 30 FPS video and covers ultra wide angle(Something like 7mm-28mm Full Frame). I mount my GoPro on the Hotshoe of the GH2 and film simultaneously with both. Also the GoPro has a handy remote that I control with my left hand and then I control the GH2 with my right hand.

Here is a video that shows footage from both. NOTE: This was the first video I shot with the GoPro so I didn't know what its limitations were. It should be very obvious which shots were with the GoPro. However, I must say that the GoPro fared much better in outdoor shown below the first video.

The 2.7K @ 30 FPS mode is my favorite. However, the 1080p @ 60 FPS medium angle of view is very good as well. Can you tell what clips were taken with what camera and what resolution and frame rate they were?

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Here is a picture of the GoPro on the GH2.

P1770070.jpg
    3125 x 1758 - 5M
  • @mpgxsvcd Damn! Cameraception!

• @BlueBomberTurbo

Cool. Was that a GoPro 1 or 2? Also didn't you feel that the water proof housing killed the sound and made it alot heavier?

I just love the new "Frame". With the GP3 the sound is much better and it is so much lighter with just the frame around it.

• That's a 2. Yeah, definitely for both. Then again, that's a D7000 with battery grip, so the added weight isn't really significant. ;) I bought the Skeleton housing to get louder sound, and to use external power and a monitor.

Gonna pick up The Frame tonight for my GP3 Black, and go at it with an exacto knife to cut out an HDMI cable hole (can't believe they left that out -_- ).

• @BlueBomberTurbo

I didn't think about the hole for the HDMI cable. What exactly do you plan on doing with the HDMI cable though? Is that for monitoring or recording?

I would just use the LCD backpac for monitoring and I don't think that the HDMI output will improve recording that much.

It is kind of nice that they include both the regular Frame and the double thickness Frame that holds the LCD display in the same package. Get the Touch LCD display though. It is much better than the old one.

• If you are talking about the Lumix 12-35, DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT waste the money. Just look 12-35 aperture issues, and the zoom feels terrible. I sent it back as fast as possible.

• @mpgxsvcd Just for monitoring while on a rig/steadycam/etc. Don't like trying to squint at the tiny LCD BacPac. Also good for remote mounting, like on an extended monopod. I have a setup in my head that I'm gonna try this weekend. I'll post pics. And vids if it's successful. ;)

Definitely thinking about the touch LCD, though I'll wait for the app to come out first before I decide.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

Definitely thinking about the touch LCD, though I'll wait for the app to come out first before I decide.

Ok, I will check back with you sometime late next year then. :)