Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • I was waiting all the same: D recess and just like the GH2, the GH series is nothing without vitaly! For my part the genies are not Panasonic lol, quite the contrary.

In France, there is a promotion in certain shop

GH2 + 14-140mm has nine 899euros: D, I may be tempted me was the price, considering how my first gh2 suffered shock lol ... In case.

• @Aria

People never change :-)

I'll try to collect all mentioned GH3 deficients at wiki page.

• This all sounds a lot like the GH1 to GH2 kind of comments. Also sounds like the early BMC kind of comments. When will people learn to have a little patience and not be too overly judgmental about pre-production videos? Without a finished product out in the wild to really put it thru it's paces, we really can't be sure what the final GH3 is gonna look like.

The comments about the look of the footage seem a bit dubious to me in that we know these are not final products and based on the info we have, likely none of the guys doing videos really knew a darned thing about the new camera. I read countless reviews from testers who found out after their review that they made some mistakes in settings on the camera due to user error. Not being familiar enough with the camera to realize that they had some setting wrong or whatever.

I can understand some pessimism due to not being totally blown away by the promos, but I also think this community has enough experience to know that it doesn't make sense to be premature in evaluating new cameras. There have been some bad signs, but still it's hard to say that Pany simply won't be able to address the image issues. Also how much of those issues are user error and how much is a real technical limitation of the camera?

• Whatz the release date...in Germany ?

• @bwhitz This is just a hunch but the GH3 is touted as having low noise high ISO performance do to its noise reduction. Could you be seeing some of the 'smoothing' effects of this in the GH3's video?

• @AKED Sounds like it would be difficult to keep tabs on. Thanks for fighting the good fight. :)

• One remark about the different quality of the GH3 clips you find. Not all GH3 at the Photokina were the same. The scenes I made on Monday, with the low light and the blue, were done with a 14-140 lens. The one from Wednesday with more yellow, had the new 12 - 35 2.8 lens on.

2 GH3 had WiFi, the others not. With most of them I could change the video quality, with one not. Markus Matthes said, they got the silent shutter to work in 2 models, not in the others. This clearly shows, that the GH3 at the Photokina were in an early stage of firmware, maybe even with different firmware (I did not check unfortunately) so that can be the reason for different results.

• @Astro

Its hard to describe, but somehow the GH2 has a more pleasing image, the P-Bloom video is blunt and trying to look filmic and the other stuff, cat etc...looks videoish and Sony like.

+1. After watching some GH2 material I just shot yesterday, I realized the key to it's great look is the texture. The GH3, so far, has no texture at all. It's the same syndrome canon, sony, and nikon all suffer from. Everything looks like the SAME MATERIAL. Skin looks the same as a clothes, dirt looks the same as grass, windows look like they're made out of clear-wood. Nothing has TEXTURE to it. The GH2, as well as the BMCC, Red, and Alexa, all render textures amazingly well. Skin on the GH2 looks matte, it looks normal and real. Skin on the GH3/7D look like they're wrapped in plastic. Everything has that dull-clay look. I hate it. I'd rather take the hit in DR, as I really only use my GH2 in controlled circumstances anyways.

• @all

Considering @Neverhood, I absolutely do not belive that @Neverhood ever touched GH3.

• @Neverprod

So, A99 price will drop, but GH3 won't. Data directly from the top?

Also the GH3 have almost the same size than the D600

LOL

• @cinemasteve87

I was writing a long comment but forget about it.

In my opinion... you can't compare the price range of a FullFrame and a M43, it's not the same... i'm not talking about the quality, etc.. but a production of a FullFrame Sensor cost more than a M43.

Now the GH3 don't cost that much less than a FullFrame and if you compare the GH3 to the another FullFrame product with a lot interesting stuff for videographer... the only difference is 700$/700euros, also in my opinion the A99 is not the official price and i will not be surprised to see after the release a price range of the A99 less than 1900$/1900euros... remember the A77 announcement price and the official release huge price difference.

And if you check correctly the GH3 + 12-35 is announced at 1800$ when the d600 + 24-85 can be find at 2300$ Also the GH3 have almost the same size than the D600

• @Astro

Click my name, search for my posts. They got buried in the thread, but check em out.

• is anyone from panasonic reading this?

• @thepalalias Agreed, I have made several posts..describing the image quality issues.

The P Bloom video 1080p large MP4 (from memory) 7 sec and 18 sec...dead soft..blunt even. I would have thrown those shots away if I had shot them with a GH2...no disrespect to P-Bloom, he's more knowledgeable and experienced than I will ever be, and thats what worries me, this is probably a camera issue. Colors have no pop at all, this may be deliberate....so I cant really go on about that...but compare it to Reverie. The colors are muddy. Its hard to describe, but somehow the GH2 has a more pleasing image, the P-Bloom video is blunt and trying to look filmic and the other stuff, cat etc...looks videoish and Sony like.

So what do I know? probably not much, but I am a pro artist, I used to be a mural airbrush artist and now I build 3d worlds, light them, texture them and sell them. I have to make them look great, piece by piece from scratch..often taking several months to do a complete build..(fantasy cities etc..)

I have been doing this for over a decade...so I have a fair idea of a good looking image. And I haven't seen any from the GH3 so far, thats the bottom line fro me anyway. And also like yourself I have a background in Music (guitarist and composer) and extensive DAW as well...dating back to Logic on the Atari (when it was C-Lab Creator) Anyway its not my goal to gripe that much, I dont think Panansonic will do much, and I am ready to move on...unless the production model of the GH3 is a blast...and I will happily eat my words.

• Everyone's concern about the "missing" features are valid, but what you guys keep forgetting is that the GH3 costs much less than all of the new full-frame DSLR's out there. For what you are already getting, you can't beat it for the price: weather-sealed, high bit-rate at 1080 60p, world-friendly framerates, headphone jack, fast Venus Engine, improved ISO performance, and supposedly improved still quality.

Just think of the GH3 as the GH2's brother from another mother. It may not have retained all of the same great qualities that the GH2 has, but I certainly think that the features on the GH3 outweighs it's shortcomings that people are wary about.

• @Astro I think if we are going to critique image quality we need to be specific to be fair. What is that you feel looks worse? They cannot fix it if we aren't specific.

MAR would not fix moire - it would just change the crop ratio and allow the camera to better take advantage of shooting at different aspect ratios.

• @QuickHitRecord

Perhaps maybe allow to pick the top 2 features. Because elimination of aliasing and moire (who would have thought we would be asking this?) is already getting top vote.

But the MAS sensor directly can contribute to this problem (correct me if I am wrong)...and Panansonic may respond to the vote for less moire etc...by adding a band aid filter resulting in a less sharp (filmic to some) image.

Anyway it's probably a waste of time anyway, they have their roadmap...and we either like it or not.

• Quote I can see clearly that Panasonic didn't really follow the videographer and pro recommendation, look like more a photographer recommendation. -----------------------------------------

@Neverprod

Exactly what it seems like to me too, and many others, its a risky move because they have a strong videographer community. I mean I realize the grain sample may be finer, better luminosity and more detail in low light...these are all video considerations, but to my eye it does not look any better at video, perhaps worse...from what I have seen. I mean after all...most people watch film and video and judge it by the look of it, not wether the low light is 1 stop better or whatever, or the noise grain is finer etc...

• I have created a poll about improvements we would like to see made to the GH3 with the intention of taking the results to Panasonic. Please take a moment to vote: http://kwiksurveys.com/app/showpoll.asp?sid=ftrgvl7xb4iso8j21673&qid=21673&new=True

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I think that it's worth a try. It will either result in nothing, or an improvement.

• I already said my point about the GH3 to Vitalily_Kiselev.

In my opinion the GH3 for the videographer is a step backward, i was seriously considered to take a GH3 but after a long day test, i see the GH3 as a GH2 Bis.

I don't want to compare Panasonic to the another company but Panasonic have a strong videographer community, if they kill that, what else they have ? for sure, the GH3 is not even on the TOP 10 for the photographer, Sony, Nikon and co already eat Panasonic.

I think that the M43 is on the way to disappear and Olympus/Panasonic will follow the other, they already started.

If you check other company (you can clearly see a direction to the videographer, where Panasonic show a direction back to the photographer)

Sony-> A99 -> Clean HDMI 4:2:2/Dual Slot SD Card/FullFrame/SensorShift and co Nikon -> D600 -> Clean HDMI 4:2:2/Dual Slot SD Card/FullFrame/Nice FX->DX and co Canon -> 5DMKIII or 6D won't match with the 2 other (clearly Canon is not in good position but they will play with the notoriety) only the 5DMKIII have a dual slot (CF and SD)/FullFrame but like Panasonic no Clean HDMI 4:2:2 Panasonic -> GH3 -> No Clean HDMI 4:2:2, No Dual Slot, No MultiAspect, etc...

I can see clearly that Panasonic didn't really follow the videographer and pro recommendation, look like more a photographer recommendation.

• @QuickHitRecord

It won't hurt, but it also won't help :-)

• Just an idea...

What if everyone reading this forum (including non-members) participated in an anonymous online poll about our most pressing concerns regarding the GH3 (i.e. "As a filmmaker, what single change to the current design would make you most likely to pre-order and/or purchase the GH3?) and then presented the results in an open letter to Panasonic?

Couldn't hurt, could it?

• I think voicing valid concerns is what makes a conversation worth having. I haven't seen a single post out right bashing the gh3 or inciting negativity without reason. In fact most all of the concerns have been quite interesting and very much worth talking about. I think if the footage matched what what most are expecting from a gh2 upgrade, then we'd all be throwing our wallets at the screen and salivating like wolves with rabies in anticipation.

From what I've heard, there's some pretty great unreleased footage floating around that just may convince others including myself to upgrade. Until that day, I remain nothing more than hopeful. But I secretly want to be convinced that this is definitely the beast we've been waiting for. I actually exchanged a couple messages with their PR division today to see what the likelihood of getting a pre-release model in hand for some testing would be. They "appreciated my enthusiasm" but aren't likely to distribute any more pre-production models for testing haha. I'd have some fun taking it for a spin no doubt.

• Guys, there's always the option of looking elsewhere. Apple screws us up all the time, look what happened to FCP. There are no more sacred cows if they stand in the way of profitability, and manufacturers simply dun care any more about customer loyalty. We should not be afraid to move on when the need arises.

From what i have seen, footage from a hacked GH2 does not look very different from what i have seen produced by the GH3

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions