Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • I'm still reading back through this thread but I'm glad we had great PV meda crew on-site to take and share footage. Exceptional work from them from what I have seen. I will make a payment for thank-you because there is a lot of work they put in for our benefit.

Anyway I put their footage through an avisynth script I just finished to evaluate encoder performance across the luma range. It does look immediately like encoding of low luma content is much improved. The grain is much much finer than on the GH2. Use my script to look at your own footage and see if you agree.

Note: Attached a second file mapping the lowest luma range 0-32 instead of 0-64

BLtV_PhotokinaDark_Luma_levels_in_AVCHD.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    BLtV_PhotokinaDark2_Luma_levels_in_AVCHD.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I've almost never read a post where any of us complained that the GH2 image wasn't high enough in resolution. The complaints have always been about Flimsy build, Color, Banding, DR, 1080 60p, Low light and highlight handling. Now Pany for the most part has tried to address those issues with the GH3. To say that the image isn't better when they addressed those issues is wrong. Now we don't know for sure what the best the GH3 can do is at this early point, but some have confirmed that there have been improvements in the key areas that users asked for. We have some Moire issues tho not on the level that I would say are disqualifying. I'm curious to see just how the Moire issue is on production models before passing final judgment.

• @svart

Quote I'm not sure that a lot of people on this forum understand that there are tradeoffs in technology and that their requests might have been the whole reason panny went this route..

The head engineer said the tradeoffs were basically for stills (to compete with the Canon, Nikon) He said they are trying to compete in that market...take it up to Canon and Nikon in the photography/video market, so there were video tradeoffs. Thats how I understand it, you could read it yourself. Also as I understand it, this is largely a Video Community, thats the reason for the popularity of the hacks, so it wasn't the requests of this forum that caused the tradeoffs at all.

It is because the Olympus OM-D-EM5 has been doing well with their Sony non MAS sensor, and Canon and Nikons video is not all the amazing in the DSLR's, so Panasonic have decided to go that profitable route. And they have thrown in some goodies like native 25P, 50/60P, better low light etc.. to keep the indie video makers happy and thrown away the MAS in the process.

Can't blame them I guess...I certainly dont, they cant please everybody but they probably will lose the footage they gained in the indie DSLR video shooters community.

I hope to be wrong, but it appears that way.

• time to shut this thread down? it has become a pretty repetitive bitchfest lately. create a separate thread for GH5 wishlist? and another thread for analysis of what the GH3 actually HAS?

• I've just quietly made my mind up not to get a GH3, personally I have not seen a single video on that camera that looks nicer than the GH2, and I have looked at them all in several media players, and Adobe Premiere CS6 as well. Yes the low light looks better, colors better?..maybe, DR better...but not over the top better,but taking all that into consideration... the image overall is definitely not a step up from the GH2.

And if the MAS plays a part in that (and I suspect it does) then IMO the GH3 does not move forward in Video quality at all really, possibly backwards.

I realize the feeling solid in your hands, better connectors, timecode, low light etc..are very important to some people. But I can only speak from my point of view (producing and shooting music videos) and the main thing a good deal of us wanted...BETTER VIDEO is simply not there..period, so these other improvements (to me anyway) dont mean a lot.

If I want solid feeling Camera with good colors but a soft video...then the 5D Mk3 is there..(and it has a Canon sign on the front too LOL!!) There is not a single video that I have seen (incl the 500 plus meg file from Philip Bloom) that impresses me at all in terms of great looking footage from the camera. I'll take a plastic feeling, non solid connector, non time code Camera that produces great footage...anyday over the other if the video is not as good.

I realize others disagree...cool...but I agree with @thepalalias on this, Panasonic should know that there are a large portion of DSLR style video shooters that wont be buying this camera, based on what they have neglected to build on from the GH2.

• @diffusion33 Nah, "new coke" was introduced so that people would soon forget the taste of the original coke formula so they could "re-introduce" coke "classic" with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and nobody would know that it was different.. I think this GH3 thing was just a snafu. We all ran around complaining about stuff in the GH2 and panny did what they could do to make us happy, which hasn't worked. it didn't work with the GH1->GH2 transition when we got a lot of what we were asking for and it didn't happen on this GH2->GH3 transition either. I mean we got almost everything we "asked" for, but not what we expected (10K$ worth of camera for 800$).. I think people are still overlooking that maybe panny was forced to change things like multi-aspect sensor and pixel binning and the OLPF in order to give people what they've been asking for. I'm not sure that a lot of people on this forum understand that there are tradeoffs in technology and that their requests might have been the whole reason panny went this route..

• @thepalalias Understood, perfectly reasonable... except this is a GH3 thread and not a GH4 thread. I'm more interested in getting more info on this incarnation of the GH line. I do not mean to come across as slamming anyone who wants to revive those feature for next-gen, that is fine and seems entirely in tradition with PV's focus on progress... just think it's more appropriate in it's own GH4/5 thread. I will now happily relinquish my blather and STFU, I've been hogging way too much text and venting as well. Goodnight fellow GH'rs, sweet high-bitrate dreams upon you all.

• Could this be a Coca-Cola moment for Panasonic? Have they changed the flavor of the GH2 we love so dearly too much? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gsb86

• @Tron I make no attempt to control or change your opinion. I was simply stating that I disagreed about the usefulness of that aspect of this thread and that if you wanted to change the discussion you could start another thread to make that happen.

Just applying your own approach of trying to be proactive instead of feeling powerless about the situation. :)

EDIT: Also, I am aware no hardware change is likely to happen before the release. If the GH3 is a miss, then it is important to me that the GH4 be more successful. Panasonic thought MAR was not important to us. I want to make sure they are aware that is not accurate so they can keep making products that I appreciate and therefore buy. Since I feel I am not alone in this, I voice it.

• @thepalalias

Look, MAR sensor has been rehashed to the point of bleeding eyes and ears, same with peaking and 4:2:2. At some point you learn to move on and accept the benefits of the new design or not. No hardware change is going to take place at this point and all of these features would likely be dependent on a change (except peaking). Some of the top engineers involved in the development have heard our concerns through people like Andy Reid and others at Photokina and have even been kind enough to take notes on it. I highly doubt they're going to read through a thread of complainers, trashing them, and be motivated to start back over from scratch again to then try and please 100% of their potential buyers with a new hardware revision when they are 2 months away from shipping. I bet they're even smart enough to know that pleasing everyone is an impossible proposition anyway, as they are in the business of making electronics and not leading a religious or political movement. In closing, my point is simple - take some pictures with the good old GH2 or perhaps buy yourself a BMCC, it will be more therapeutic to your soul than griping online.

• @thepalalias You are spot on 'They are about "taking a step backward" from the GH2 in areas that some of use consider to be important' But for me GH3 has significant step forwards both physically aswell as image quality, which for me totally outweigh the GH2's minor strengths over it. For example the fact a 12mm prime is a 25mm on GH3 where as it would of been a 22mm on GH2 means next to nothing to me, but the fact GH3 has more DR/improved colour,low light/native 25p/better build/headphone socket/1080 slo mo ect ect means alot more. If people really need that 1.86crop factor then keep hold of that GH2.

• @thepalalias Nah I'm just considering them together. I do not think either of those lenses have zoom control. Very happy with the possibility of GH3 with a 12-35 35-100 f2.8 range. You can of course use those two lenses on the GH2 :) They're m43's mount! Also just saw some high iso tests of GH3 photos and it's a huge step up from the GH2 from what I can tell. I am though of course, completely aware that the competition is really tough and for the time being I'm keeping my options open. The multi-aspect sensor was a staple of the GH line and I'd be hard-pressed to express just how disappointed I am that it isn't in the GH3. Peaking not being included is also a huge let down as I'd have found that invaluable for fast primes. And to @tron Sometimes you don't want an extra 7 inches just to get sharp focus, especially with the DSLR magic lenses, and old rokker or vivitar glass and etc that already add weight and bulk.

• @Tron Why not start a new thread for those that have pre-ordered the camera to constructively discuss their thoughts about the camera? Something like "Chime in If You Pre-Order A GH3 and Want to Chat" or something similar to that?

Then you won't have to wait for the tone of this discussion to change and will be able to focus the discussion towards the specific aspects you are interested in.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons for people to be anxious or concerned, and beyond that there is the chance that the volume and nature of comments could potentially get back to Panasonic and influence the priority they give to addressing the issues that (while minor to you) have been important to many others.

Also, a lot of the discussion isn't about people suffering because a new camera has come out that either costs too much or does not have the features they want. It is about the changes to a model line that they had become familiar with (and to varying degrees emotionally invested in) and concerns about the future direction that will take.

If the GH2 is the end-of-the-line for multi-aspect-sensors in video-heavy hybrids for Panasonic, then that is something worth talking about (and trying to prevent). If moire issues turn out to be more important to the customers than Panasonic thought, then that is worth talking about.

Those are two things that are not about missing new features. They are about "taking a step backward" from the GH2 in areas that some of use consider to be important, and we are worried not just about the GH3 but about the GH4 or whatever else Panasonic has in mind. We want to make sure that it maintains the things that are important to us.

At least that is my read on it. Maybe I am off-base.

@TMCat I thought you could use those same lenses on a GH2, you just didn't have the zoom controls on camera or something? I am not very well-read on them.

Note: As I have said before, if the new strengths are dramatic enough to make-up for the new weaknesses, I will be happy to embrace the camera. But that will not stop me from desiring a new camera that maintains the strengths of the GH2 (in terms of the ones the GH3 left behind) even such a camera builds upon those strengths and extends beyond them.

• If memory serves me right, the GH3 1080p50 matrix is exactly the same as the High Profile level 4.2 G5 matrix. And true, that both cameras share the same venus engine. Here's the link to the G5 matrix info http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3936/official-panasonic-g5-topic#Item_88. Earlier in this thread I mentined the 108p50 matrix of the GH3.

Its pretty difficult for me to do stuff in Chile regarding research until I get back late wknd/early next week. Therefore I offer my thanks for the great work the p-v guys at Photokina have done for us all and I apologise that I cannot go deeper with info until then.

• @diffusion33

I'm with you. Originally I was seriously considering this cam but now I'm looking at the options. I am very disappointed with the lack of a multi-aspect sensor, annoyed by the 2.1 crop factor, and not completely thrilled with any of the sample videos or photos I've seen. Not like I'd be losing my GH2 or anything if I got that Nex 9 that is someday sopposed to come. And if a hack ever comes around I'll have a nex 9 to sell.

EDIT: Never mind, I am back on board. forgot the weather proofing and those constant aperture zooms.

• Maybe it's time to open a thread just for complainers so that the rest of us who've already pre-ordered can get on with the business of developing this camera. Reading through paragraphs of people rehashing the same BS and hang wringing about how they're somehow getting screwed by something they haven't even bought that exists in a format they're not even invested in is just ridiculous. Just go buy a goddamned Sony for the peaking (because you obviously won't pay the extra $200 for a monitor w/peaking feature) and leave the rest of us in peace.

• Maybe this conversation should be moved to the pana complaints and we can bombard them with our issues instead of venting our frustrations here!!! Anyone got an e-mail address?

• @Jizzjones i couldn't disagree more with your statement on crop factor, most video users are well aware of this and focus peaking as been a feature desire by many since GH1/GH2 days... I think the rumor sties got us excited about focus peaking and 4:2:2..... and feel like these guys have a lot to answer for!!! Also no one can blame us for been pissed at panasonic lack of transparency with the release of the GH3 and and the major changes that they implemented on the new GH3 effectivly making the GH3 and OMD on steroids, all in all it's not a bad thing but they could've made a killer camera and have left us feeling a bit meh!! And now people are considering their options which i don't blame them for. I myself have not invested massively in 4/3 and it makes me think i might go sony or nikon as i also shoot a lot of photos. I'm in no way desperate and love my GH2 Thx to VK and the whole community here a PV that provide tremendous insight, info, tips.... I'll wait and see what the GH3 puts out and make my decission only then. In the mean time i hope the people at pana are seeing this and are reconsidering on firmware. Even if it delayed the camera being release somewhat it probably would be better in the long run.

• When I looked at the spec. and price of GH3, I feel like more interested in G5. If G5 actually uses the same multi-aspect sensor as GH2 uses and it support 1080p/60/50. I think it has potential to achieve the same quality as GH3 video does when a hacked firmware is available. Still I hope there is some way to active the multi-aspect function of G5. I really love this function. If so, I would more like to upgrade my GH2 to G5 not GH3.

• From what I have seen, were basically a getting a GH2 but with most likely 10.5+ stops of DR, superior colour, superior low light (the 3 BIG things that did not impress on GH2) NATIVE 25p, 1080p50/60, half decent codec options out the box, superior build quality, OLED screen/EVF, improved banding/gradiation, a headphone socket, -5 contrast, proppa HDMI monitoring and so on and so on.

And it cost $1300, how much is an inferior 5D3? or C100? Isnt that exactly what we wanted if not more? So far I have seen a little aliasing (the key word is little), it has no 422 via HDMI (how many would really use that?) an its 2.XX crop (most people thought GH2 was 2x crop anyway) and there is no focus peaking (which I bet no1 was expecting until it was heavily rumoured).

@diffusion33 'on crop factor, most video users are well aware of this' Yes most on this forum, as this is mainly a GH2 community, dip your toe elsewhere an I bet there is confusion as to what it is. GH2 is just about THEE best bang for buck camera in the world, GH3 never had a sniff at keeping everyone happy.

• @robbie75vr I would say even more so than usual, but yes. :)

• @thepalalias

thanks man, so the best is just to wait the release and some real footage before making decisions... (as usual)

• @robbie75vr

• Aliasing could potentially be improved by the time the camera releases. Many people here feel it is unlikely, but essentially no one feels that it is futile to voice how important this aliasing/moire issue is for many of us.
    • Multiple people at the company have said it will ship with 4:2:0 for both HDMI out and the internal codec.

The primary complaints at the moment are that the sensor is no long multi-aspect-ratio (like the GH1 and GH2 were) so we are getting a 2.1 crop instead of a 1.86 one like on the previous one. And there is concern that we may have more moire than before.

Most of the other things relate to things that have not been improved, rather than things that have gotten worse, so they are less of an issue. For instance, people are wondering whether the All-I Frame encoding is working well (some people have suggested that the test footage shows the 50 mpbs and even the lower rate AVCHD footage on the camera doing better). But the I-Frame one remains to be seen.

Compared to the original GH2 the I-frame issue seems odd, but compared to the hacked GH2, there is a great deal of wondering whether a hacked GH2 will outperform a factory GH3.

However, many people are optimistic about the hacked GH3 performance (especially since Panasonic confirmed UHS-I support for the camera).

• any info about dynamic range of GH3 ?

anyway as all of us I was very looking forward to the GH3, I was oriented to the BMCC but when I heard GH3 was coming out soon, hey, I put the BMCC idea in a box. Now that I still see 420, more aliasing and overall not that good IQ, I changed my mind again and back in love with the BMCC, in my opinion the best IQ out there near the DSLR price range...

I saw there are about 1k reply in this topic so it's a bit hard with my very limited time to search info, excuse me if I ask few question maybe asked dozens time already, reply if you want, skip to next post if you don't.

• Aliasing, is that definitive or the final product can be different ?
    • 420, same question as above.
    • Are there other bad sides of this camera that I missed ?

Thanks

• Yeah I'm leaving Canon because of their molasses slow trickle down technology philosophy. I've been really liking the hacked gh2 despite it's flaws (low ISO shadow noise, no audio out, no good low light zoom lenses till now) I had hoped the gh3 would be the last straw to get me to sell all our Canon gear and switch. But from all the interviews I've read, it looks like more of the same molasses slow trickle down that's got me ready to sell all my Canon gear. I'm thinking the BMCC will be my next camera. if only it had I.S. on ef-s lenses there'd b no doubt. Or maybe Samsung will come out of left field with a killer video optimised Android dslr. Since they don't have a pro market to protect as far as I know. Also, I find it really obnoxious how the reps from Panasonic can't embrace the hacker community that made their gh camera a player in the dslr video market in the 1st place! If I have to hear one more panny rep say they DON'T RECOMMEND HACKING YOUR GH CAMERA, how's about they do their GOD DAMN jobs so the hacking community doesn't have to DO IT FOR THEM!!!! :) Jayson youtube.com/AWDEfilms

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions