Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • The OLPF is not the same, but we can look at the fisical structure and is quiet diferent. The active area of the sensor, and the frame out side of it, is not the same, i assume is not the same anyway. So its no OMD sensor.

• @AKED @TraumManufaktur @Igorek7

Could the team at photokina take some hi res pictures of the sensor please, only for comparing structure.

Thanks!!!

• @thepalalias - valid point. And very kind of you to lend the camera(s). Very.

• @endotoxic

As I know they won't be at Photokina anymore. Today Igor had been on exhibiton, but not tomorrow.

They have their normal life.

• What I would like to know is...where is all the GH3 raw footage from photokina? Where Panasonic confiscating SD cards? Apart from the uploaded raw from TramManufaktur...its all very quiet. I like the sony colours myself and looked like sony-like from the current videos.

BTW Im convinced that certain shots in "Genesis" was deliberatly done soft to hide alaising....we know how much the GH community hates alaising and moire ;-D

• What I would like to know is...where is all the GH3 raw footage from photokina? Where Panasonic confiscating SD cards?

Recording is not allowed during normal consumer days.

• @Kholi came around, excellent news, thanks for the report. Not gonna ask how you saw this stuff, hehe...

• @Vitaliy Ahh I see that makes sense then

• I have confirmed with my guy in Panasonic US that the sensor is Panasonic-made, not Sony-made. He was also one of the first to confirm the uncompressed HDMI output the day of the launch.

• You'd think that there would be a pre-order here in Japan, but I can't find anything. On Panasonic's official Japanese site there is some sort of notice. From what I can translate, they can't announce anything until after photokina.

http://panasonic.jp/dc/gh3/index.html

• @kellar42

I can't really say, but it's good to know that a lot of what I had an issue with seems to be coming from ALL-I recording. I went back to make sure that all of the footage we've been seeing is from ALL-I and sure enough.

Hey @driftwood and @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Does the 4x4 and 8x8 blocks apply to AVCHD as well or only ALL-I? I don't know how that stuff works, but I remember reading somewhere that encoding this way can help with banding? is that right or wrong?

I swear I pixel-peeped so hard looking for banding in places I knew it would've been but I could NOT see any in the straight-up AVCHD files.

Also, highlight roll off looks great. Lots of blown out lamps etc, not offensive.

• @kholi

How was the moire/Aliasing of the viz you saw? That seems the be the only thing I worry about. I could care less about 4:2:2 external recording.

I have a GH3 on pre-order and am hearing early Dec. here in Canada.

• @RatLabProductions

SLIGHTLY more moire than GH2. SLIGHTLY. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't a final camera or not, but I could detect an ever so slight presence of moire in certain areas. It was kinda hard to spot, and I was peeping super hard. haha

I saw it in a very very fine pattern of a female's shirt, but couldn't really see the moire in hard lines/shapes, and those were all over the place.

• @kholi

That is what I figured which is more than acceptable for all the pluses I really care about.

Watching people blow everything out of proportion is getting hilarious. Having a solid feeling body is worth the price to me alone.

• @RatLabProductions

I agree, but I also know that it's hard not to blow things out of proportion when you can't get straight answers OR really good footage. I don't think Bruce Logan did a bad job on the GENESIS short film, I saw a lot of potential in it especially where DR and color was concerned, but it didn't seem to be as good as the out-of-the-box GH2 in regards to overall fidelity.

Seems like the culprit's ALL-I, or the marketing hype of "larger numbers". That 24 AVCHD stuff changed my mind in a matter of a few clips.

If someone had the camera for a day, took it outside and posted up a few naked MTS. I'd be surprised if it didn't change a few people's perspective.

• @kholi did u see samples from 50mbit ?

• @vladnik

I did not see any IPB samples. I have a feeling that it wasn't actually enabled, as I was told that quite a few settings weren't accessible just yet.

• @Kholi, in terms of DR , the improvement your talking about is it incremental or major with the over all look compared to the gh1/gh2 DR, and regarding the pic profile and being able to go all the way to -5 on the setting, did your source use that to get a more flat pic, thanks

• @sammy

Looked like they didn't do any film mode adjusting, picked a profile and shot. I'll ask today, though.

I hesitate to say if it's major or incremental, because these mean different things to people. To me, major is 12-13 stops (Blackmagic). It dos feel safe to say, however, that it looks like it's around AF100~FS100.

FS100 is 11

AF100 is 10.

Gh2 is 9.

Judge from there me thinks. All I know is that I saw a city shot with a sky in the background and did a double take. Buildings, sky, detail, etc. Very pleasing.

• I am uploading 2 GH3 files to Vimeo. 25p 72 Mbps. From very bright with 1600 ISO to very dark with 125 or 200 ISO (can't remember). And one 1080 50p 50 Mbps

• Here is the first:

1080 25p, 72 Mbps 1600 iso MOV

• @AKED

Did you get to try AVCHD? Will look for IPB links.

• @kholi ,thanks, if we get 11 ll be happy

• Here is the second:

1080 25p, 72 Mbps 125 or 200 iso, MOV

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions