Personal View site logo
17mm F1.8 Olympus lens topic
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • Photo by Igor Drozdovsky (specially for P-V) :

olympus.jpg
    631 x 616 - 80K
  • I think it's nice. But since this one probably costs only slightly less than the 12mm, it's still a hard buy. I probably will sell my 20mm, because I like focus ring on Olympus better. Also this seems to have internal focussing, and the 20mm doesn't have that.

• Some photos

lenses6.jpg
    679 x 600 - 70K
    lenses7.jpg
    711 x 600 - 72K
    lenses8.jpg
    798 x 596 - 88K
  • @balazer that is a bit disappointing, if turns out to be the same for this lens. It is possible to build focus-by-wire identical to real manual focus, but requires sophisticated mechanics and electronics. They should do it like Tokina, so that the focus ring slides to another position and engages with the focus mechanism.

• If it's anything like the Olympus 12-mm f/2.0, then the focus ring is not mechanically linked. Olympus calls it "snapshot focus mechanism". When you slide the focus ring down, a focus scale is exposed. The ring has hard stops and fixed focus positions, but it's still focus by wire.

• @sohus I would say of my legacy glass, the 35mm got very little use compared to the 24, 28, 40, 45 and 58. It's a very nice lens, a Nikkor, and it gets slightly more use as a 70mm on the GH2. Maybe other people used the 35 more often, it seems like I was always reaching for the 24 or the 28 for anything wider than 40, 45 or 50.

Manual controls: these are more important now that we can potentially use the lenses on the BMCC.

• Not yet sure about it. It could be that the grooves at the back of the lens only aid attaching and removing the lens. Markings on the front ring appear to be sharp focus range at certain aperture.

But let's hope the ring at the back is for iris. When you have confirmation, please update. This could be the perfect one.

• It seems like it has aperture ring, as you can see aperture markings :-)

As it clearly has two rings

• I take from the comments that the manual focus is real and not servo coupled? Missing only aperture ring. So much nicer to adjust aperture from the lens than buttons on the camera. Thus not perfect, but certainly interesting.

• @DrDave It is 35mm in old terms. So very much desired by many people.

• Image added to first post.

• If only it were the price of the 20mm Panasonic. I would trade mine in for the Olympus. Would love to have manual focus with distance scale.

• If they get the manual focus right and it's as good as the Lumix 20mm I'm switching. Love the 20 for photos though.

• It probably will be very good, but sadly not a pancake. Interesting that they chose that size, not my favorite size but certainly there are lots of people with the 20mm who now want something wider. I think they are going for the ultimate quality, not the ultimate pancake, and you can't fault them for that, but I loves my pancakes.

• Still want this cheap plastic T4 lenses :-)

• Olympus got it right. 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, and 75/1.8. Only 25/1.8 is missing.