Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • I think the reason for the price might be (if rumours are correct) that there will be a new weather sealed 14-140mm lense to go with the new weather sealed body.

• http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-gh3-has-fastest-af-of-the-world-it-is-like-a-pro-dslr-best-hybrid-cam-ever/

"A tester had the chance to test a Panasonic GH3 camera which he says was a final prototype with unfinished firmware. There are only few cameras at the moment going across the world in hands of photographers and journalists. First he said the specs I posted in these days are correct. The GH3 is weather sealed, has a new 16 Mpx sensor, ALL-I 72Mbit/s video recording, 100-12.800 ISO, external vertical battery grip and full Application remote control. While he can’t unveil the spec he said that the camera was a real surprise fro him:

1) Ergonomy: The GH3 is bigger and heavier, it is built like a tank! Panasonic clearly wants to give you a “DSLR feeling” going away from the “smaller is better” philosophy. It feels much more PRO than the Olympus E-M5. De facto it looks more similar to a PRO DSLR like a Nikon D7000 or Canon 7D more than to any other Panasonic/Olympus mirrorless camera we have seen before.

2) Specs: While he can’t unveil the specs he said that Panasonic improved any aspects of the camera. They really studied the feedback they got from Photographers and Filmmakers using the GH2. So almost everything you wished to have on a GH3 will become truth. The sensor gets on market with the “Wide Dynamic Range” definition while the Autofocus is said to be the fastest of the whole interchangeable camera world. Video specs and features are the best he ever saw on these kind of cameras. While there was no chance to analyze the stills quality he got the chance to see some videos made with the GH3. Definitely a leap forward!

3) Connectivity and accessories: The GH3 is all about getting connected. There are many physical and wireless connection possibilities. Filmmmakers are going to have all the connections they need for a professional production."

• @sohus

We had this referenced multiple times already :-)

• My feeling is the body will come in under 1K, or at about 75,000 Yen. My reasoning is a combination of them wanting to get the camera into as many hands as possible as soon as possible to get the word out about how amazing the camera is, and also because with such a wonderful camera people are going to want wonderful lenses, and that is where the profits will come in for Panasonic. The 12-35 f 2.8 is just a sneak peak of great lenses to come I suspect. Word of mouth about fantastic fast versatile lenses will entice many who already have a reasonably priced body in hand, and to shore up a bit of money from the average joe that doesn't want to spend 1.5K on a lens they will start selling the older M4/3 lenses at bargain prices before the summer and they will go like hotcakes.

• @Vitaliy, Just my feeling ;) On a side note the likeliness of ISO beginning at 100 is nice to hear, a little more shallow depth of field before the need to raise the film speed. Out of curiosity is there a simple reason why ISO can't start at 25 or 50? Seems it would be very useful for bright sunshine in shallow DOF situations where lights may still be in frame and on, and thus create flicker with higher FS. It's rare, but I have faced this situation when using faster lenses.

• I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves here. Apart from a little number of indie filmmakers who bloody knows about the gh2. So people here are expecting people to flog to a gh3 at $ 1500 to $ 2000 body when a Nikon D7000, 14 stop Dr, 16 megapixel weather sealed body, fast auto focus, leading high iso apsc is selling for less than $ 1000. I forget to add from one of the leading duopoly photographic companies. If the gh3 just matches it photographically it will already be an achievement. Now in video it is another matter, but most consumer buy a dslr for photo primarily and then video.

So if Pana want to make a splash they have to price it accordingly. Even if it is a pro denomination, it would be considered more like a prosumer, in the D7000 line and without the Nikon Brand name and smaller sensor (for many) it will have to be competitive with those pro/prosumer $ 1000 Apsc camera. Now we have the rumored $ 1500, full frame Nikon D600 with the D7000 body that will put big big pressure and chaos in the Dslr price/feature/quality ratio. It could also come with much better video ala D800.

So I hope that Pany does not put it more than the D7000 and that we don't have to wait 6/9 month for general availability.

• Now we have the rumored $ 1500, full frame Nikon D600 with the D7000 body that will put big big pressure and chaos in the Dslr price/feature/quality ratio.

No, it won't put big pressure and chaos.

As about D7000, it is good camera, but it is DSLR and made for different things.

Considering price - Panasonic don't give a fuck about our opinions, last time I checked every GHx was selling good. Same will be with GH3. So, they know how set price.

• ...and sudelly all stoped.

grate.

• g5 is roundabout 650 Euro. gh3 will be in a range to attack omd and the theyr "sensorsupplier".....

• wha would be awesom beyond belive is 5 axis oly stabilisation like system.

• If the GH-3 has wireless apps, will that be anew hack direction? Could an android hack app be made to do all the misc. things we try to do in firmware patches, like audio and changing matrix settings?

• in theory its possible, now lets wait for the princess if would like to make it happen.

• It seems to me that Panasonic is looking to stake out a claim on the best Sub $2,000 Hybrid Camera market. There should be a lot of demand for a camera with a smaller size, but just as powerful features and strong build as the Canons and Nikons. News shooters looking for a good Photo and Video cam that is smaller but still weather sealed. Indie and Low budget Film makers that still like the form factor of a DSLR which allows stealth filming with really high quality. I think that the GH3 has a chance to be a big success despite the possible increased competition from a D600. Canon pretty much has nothing as good in that price range. What other camera will offer such a robust package in this price range?

• well, if the gh3 is still 1080p only, and does not offer 60p- then really the DR is the only thing that can make me buy this one. Lets face it: 72Mbits INTRA? Its nice, but we have that already.

• well, if the gh3 is still 1080p only, and does not offer 60p- then really the DR is the only thing that can make me buy this one.

Try to read things before posting :-)

• Seems like the gh3 could potentially be a GENUINE hybrid, no compromise anywhere, especially since they seem intent on making it "PRO". Previous gh-series cams have been a little so-so for stills, whereas sony and canikon offerings have been so-so for video.

That is, if the gh3 can be as good a stills cam as the OM-d..

• These rumors really sound like Panasonic has been listening. Can't wait for Photokina. Hopefully it'll be for sale before the end of this year.

• @Vitaliy

LOL!! .....True

• GH3 is looking very nice indeed. I think most of us have been spoilt by the GH2 and it's low cost, I'm prepared to pay double for the list of specs on the first post of this thread and not have to jump through hoops.

• I'm with Rambo. Crikey! I spent so bloody much on 16mm film trying to create and learn, this digi stuff is a cakewalk financially. And what you can DO with them...! I'll keep the gh2, maybe grab another on their exit, then I'll get a gh3 (if there is one hhh) I've used a few panasonic video cams hvx 200. Love the look, their approach. Regardless, we're very lucky to have so many options, right down to making films with telephones. And also regarless of hack -ability or not, I love this site and how Vitaliy runs it; so I'll be hoping this keeps going. Cheers!

• If anyone could answer why it take so long to have GH3. Co

• @Rambo Planning for unboxing video? :)

• StoneBat @Rambo >Planning for unboxing video? :)

Yep, i'm just gunna invite Lee and Nick over, put the box in the middle of the room and watch the cardboard fly :-)

• I hope Panasonic are not reading this Forum, because people are telling them to put the price higher!!!!!!!!!! The gh2 has started at about $ 900 to $ 1000 body if you take out the lens bundled it came with. Now two years later the market has change a bit, with better featured APSC camera like but not only D7000 for about $ 1000, and more pro quality/featured like the OM-D in the 43 mirrorless format. And Again, we have the strong possibility of a $ 1500 full frame Nikon camera.

I am not saying that the gh3 should be price at $ 500 but at $ 1500 to $ 2000, I think it would be a hard sell for the general dslr/mirrorless buyer. And for the more pro/enthusiast video camera shooter like me, at these price range, I would seriously consider saving not that much more to get the Blackmagic camera. For it to be price that high it would have to have some serious video camera feature like, ND filters or SDI or Xlr imputs. Then it would appeal to the smaller but higher end pro/enthusiast hybrid camera user. But they will loose part of the high volume m43 market, who want better quality than compact camera but who don't want the cost and bulkiness of DSLR camera. Just look at the complains on the 43rumors when they said that the camera would be bigger than current m43 cameras.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions