Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • can somebody post an A-B comparison of the standard 24p bitrate to a hacked bitrate where it really shows an improvement? :) I just cant seem to find a situation where I'm dissatisfied with the standard bitrate! :) - 24H that is.
  • With my latest settings 1080i/50 bitrate 32Mbps:
    Tested with kae "death chart" shoot over 1 hour,
    SD: SanDisk 16 GB class10 Extreme / 30mb/s.
    No motion, files are 3.99 GB auto split (4 of them , about 17-18 min each ) ...
    No crashes ...
    Will be testing same with class 6 32GB transcend ...

Edit:
    Transcend class 6 32GB, works well but it does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,
    it stops so you must push a record button again ...
    the same works OK with SanDisk class 10 16GB constant recording without break ...
    Can anyone explain this ?
    setd.zip
    377B
  • I tested Sven settings. I shot a quite busi landscape with 1/3 windy water, 1/3 windy trees, 1/3 sky
    24H had the first GOP with low bitrate giving a blocky image for ½ sek. The other modes were OK.
    I modified the settings and now the same landscape is OK for all modes 24H, 24L, FSH, FH, SH and H.
    sete StreamParser all modes.zip
  • @Tomaso

Great, this works even with my transcend class 6, 32GB continuous recording no "break" :-)
  • I apologise for naivety.

Are thes ini files mean't to be loaded, if so how?

Edit, Found it .. shift click on the alphabet letters :)
  • They are input to Vitaliy's Ptool 3.61d (plase in same folder as program).
    see: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/414/ptool-3.61d-topic
    Read all instructions before use! And scan pearlier posts.
  • @kavadni
    yes! Simply click on the letter of Ptools 3.61D
  • Shouldn't a death chart have color? A monochrome death chart will stress luma macroblock components, but not chroma ones. Perhaps having some sort of rainbow gradation (including gray) across the pattern would be better.

Chris
  • I have uploaded the 24H 10sec mts file to vimeo used in my sete tests see post above
  • Sry, I thought only the link should show up not beeing embedded.
  • @cbrandin

"Shouldn't a death chart have color?"

That's a great idea. Could you make one up maybe using the existing monochrome and adding the color? I found with the GH1 when using the monochrome star chart as a 'death' chart that it would the patches more than shooting leaves/flowers moving in a breeze.

• @feha

"does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,"

I get same problem with my 65m settings. I wish I could understand why. I'm using Dane-Elec 32GB Class 10 cards. Is anyone getting files to span on 32GB cards, if so in what mode and what kind of card?

• @swen24
    "The idea to set top/bottom values to double comes from reading in some topic here."

Actually doubling the high/low for 1080 24P was the first thing I did intuitively within 10 minutes of Vitaliy releasing the ptool so you probably read that on one of my posts. I also tried 2.2x but it seemed to break it. Were you able to go higher than a doubling of the high/lows and get a stable patch? I've only been able to go to 2x so far on all modes and still have stability.
  • @kae files seems to span fine for me in 24H 80% mode set to 36mbit/s using end user patches only. This is on a 32GB class 10 Patriot LX series SDHC card. Will test next with swen's "stable" settings from July 26 which i just loaded on this morning.
  • @arvidtp

That's good to know. God, I hope the 65M settings are breaking the cam's ability to span somehow. That would be unfortunate. I think I'll go back to stock and test for spanning to see if it's my card or the settings.
  • @arvidtp

That's good to know. God, I hope the 65M settings are breaking the cam's ability to span somehow. That would be unfortunate. I think I'll go back to stock and test for spanning to see if it's my card or the settings.

UPDATE: Spanning only breaks for me when shooting the death chart as the GH2 with 65 settings is laying down 64Mb/s with normal detailed footage at normal data rates in this mode (50-58 Mb/s) the files are spanning fine.
  • @kae
    "does not "auto-split" files over 4GB,"
    it has to do with bit rate ...
    using Tomaso settings it auto-splits right even with class 6 transcend 32GB ...
    I think that GH2 at high bit rate does "not have time" to split the file than it stops at 4GB limit ...
    Tested in 1080i/50, FSH ...
    Settings from Tomaso
  • what's this with the class 6 SD-cards - the GH2 is a cam for Class 10 => 60Mbps, and they have no problems
  • @Butt
    even class10 have problems , read @kae comments ...
    it is about auto-splitting files over 4GB ...
    I tested with both cards:
    SanDisk class 10 16GB extreme and Transcend class 6 32Gb ...
    if these settings works OK even with class 6 and it means very stable
  • no - with Pana Gold Class 10 60MBps i have no Problem!!!
    I must not read this
  • @Butt,
    sure :-)
  • Would be great to start new thread about most reliable SD cards at high bit rates ...
  • do it !!!

• Was just checking the threads for just that SD info. I just got my GH2 today and want to play :-)