Personal View site logo
Panasonic's New Weather Sealed SD cards
  • source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/09/panasonic-preps-sd-cards-that-survive-heat-water-and-x-rays/

"The cards can take the kinds of punishment that we often associate with rugged gear, such as temperatures from -13F to 185F, immersion in 3.3 feet of water for half an hour and the usual steep drops. It's beyond this that the resistance levels become truly exotic: the cards are also built to survive zaps of electricity, proximity to magnets and exposure to X-rays. If it all becomes too much to bear, the design will even fuse on the inside to prevent fire burning the card from within. Those who like what they see will only have to decide whether or not they want the SDAB range's 95MB/s read speeds and 80MB/s writes or are willing to settle for the SDUB line's respective 90MB/s and 45MB/s transfers. "

sounds like they're prepping for a new weather sealed camera, eh? ;)

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Another step towards sealed GH3 :) lol

• I'd also like to think that 95mb/s has something to do with an strong focus on video.

• If there is a weather sealed cam coming. I sure hope the SD or media slot is sealed so I don't have to use sealed cards except for the odd washing machine adventure.

• How is this different from what SanDisk Extreme cards already offer?

• I sure hope the SD or media slot is sealed so I don't have to use sealed cards except for the odd washing machine adventure.

Don't be so sure, some protection is good is you are shooting in the rain, or in very cold conditions.