Personal View site logo
EP2 / EPL2 short films vs GF1/2/3
  • I like very much Panasonic GF line, however it's a shame that it's very hard to find short films made with these little camera. This is due to the fact that a Panasonic user prefers to shoot with a GH1/GH2 camera, great video quality indeed. However I am very interested in "compact"and cheapy m43 cameras like GF cams since I love shooting in extreme situations. I have discovered that many young filmmakers have used Olympus PEN in their projects: this is often due to the fact that because Olympus promotes every year 72/48 hour film contest...I was suspiscious at first, however when I've seen some short film realized with PEN ep2 , epl2 etc.. I realized that these cameras could be a good option for "street" and cheap projects...even if the video quality is no doubt worser than gf2 camera, I got the impression that overall quality of PEN, thanks to IS body, is better..

these are some short films I've found on the net..

What do you think about it?

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Olympus E PEN line has only software image stabilization.

Gf/Gx are nice. But GX1 + LVF2 is only 3 oz lighter than GH2. The price of GH2 is falling, too. GH1 was only $300 just before it was discontinued. I don't mean GH1/2 make good short films automatically. But I'd carry GH1 or GH2 if I can. Or iPhone 4S. It can record 1080p24 and 720p60 at 50Mbps.

• "GH1 was only $300 just before it was discontinued" ...waiting for gh3, gh2 price will be very convenient ;) just think that today in Italy is very difficult to find used gh1 below 300€...and no warranty at all

I am not a PEN endorser sincerely, anyway..this is another interesting video, nice cinematography with ep2 and 50 mm

https://vimeo.com/groups/ep2/videos/13266673

Nice!

• @stonebat iPhone 4S footage looks nice, but the movement is terribly unnatural i think.

• The Pen definitely seems more popular for stills than video. I did a quick vimeo search and this is the best I could find of the EP1's capabilties.

No exposure lock in video makes rough.

• @CRFilms EP1 is the only PEN model that hasn't fully manual control on video ;) epl1, ep2,epl3 havemanual control iso etc...

I think the best is this: https://vimeo.com/groups/ep2/videos/13266673

• @AlbertZ I don't have much to say about Olympus. As long as you can have fun with E-PEN, go for it. Good luck~!

• here is another video with ep2. I don't like olympus color, look too saturated in low light. But black and white is very good

shooed with ep2 + 50 mm