Personal View site logo
GH2: MJPEG 100Mbps Low Light 1080p Settings
  • 112 Replies sorted by
  • @brianluce
    why make do not an AB comparison test?

• This all sounds great. But will the MJPEG patch provide a noticeably better image in some circumstances than just my vanilla UNhacked GH2? Seems to be conflicting info and opinions and a dearth of AB tests. Some reports are that the hack produces more noise -- but allegedly happy noise! I see a lot of nice hacked footage out there but it doesn't tell us much unless you can see what an unhacked gh2 would do in the same conditions. If anyone has a link to a good AB shootout with a hacked and unhacked GH2, please link me. I have no interest in anything that compares it to GH1 or GH13.
  • On vimeo.com/26836032 I see some blips in the center @ the 1 second mark. Is this normal?
  • @IPowell
    the 1080p MJPeg is awesome: thanks!
  • I can't say for sure exactly what's going on regarding 1080p with these particular settings (and I wondered this myself)...BUT it does look very good. Much, much better than anything (and I tried several different MJPEG settings 720 and 1080) I ever managed to get out of my GH13's.

As I said, apart from some virtually insignificant artifacts which seem to be a characteristic of MJPEG, the image at about 100 mbps is really lovely. This has made my day ...and makes my GH2 worthwhile even if the AVCHD start-up issue isn't fixed.

The comparisons I did this afternoon with AVCHD strongly suggests to me that something better is happening that 720p being scaled up to 1080p. Even if it is, the quality of the interpolation is excellent (considering that even at 100 mbps the 1080p image quality on the GH13 was mediocre.

More good news... testing with some of my other wide angles didn't once get a lock-up ...even on my "bush-of-death" (Sandisc class 10).

I forgot to mention that I varied the settings slightly by NOT ticking anything to do with 480p. Shouldn't make any difference...just for the record.
  • GH1 MJPEG delivered 720 "real" resolution at most and setting it to 1080 would just interpolate extra pixels in camera.

Is GH2 behaving the same way? Is the actual image 720p extrapolated into 1080p and then encoded into MJPEG?

Regards,
  • I just tried these 1080p MJPEG settings...at the same time dropped AVCHD to 35 H and 30 L presets. Did a very quick test while the sun was out...

I do like the clips using these MJPEG settings...averaged 102 mbps (using 14mm pancake). I was never impressed by MJPEG on the GH13...period.

The few A vs B comparisons I just did with same subject AVCHD @ 28 mbps have impressed me as to what MJPEG can now look like. AVCHD still had slight advantage with less "artefacting" in straight lines (e.g. car door edges and window edges) than the MJPEG...but the fine detail resolution was almost indistinguishable from the AVCHD. I like it enough to do more careful testing. Thanks IPowell. Now MJPEG is an option for me.

Also, even at the reduced AVCHD settings there was still a couple of seconds of corruption at the start of each clip (but the MJPEG encoder does not have this problem even at 100 mbps)...
  • @peterosinski
    This is MJPEG only patch, do not affect AVCHD in any way.

@MJPEG preset tied to PTool? Are you sure it's good idea?
    Yes it is good idea. As having bunch of reliable, very reliable and low light reliable patches confuse people.
  • Thanks LPowell. Reliable high bitrate MJPEG sounds great.

@Vitaliy MJPEG preset tied to PTool? Are you sure it's good idea?
  • does this patch apply only to 1080 30p, or can you use this for 108024p and 108060p as well?

also, what kind of timeline or settings would these types of files be edited in for adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5

side note: I would like to eventually use these patches in etc mode. will that be possible?
  • Thank you lpowell,

which sd card is recommended? I´m using a Transcend Class 10 32GB Card and sometimes there are card writing errors.

I wonder why 2 same clips filmed in succession have different bitrates with the same settings. One clip has 90 mbit, the other has 38 mbit.

• Thanks so much lpowell! So glad to see your contribution to the GH2. At the bottom of your post above, there are some GH1 references that I think should be GH2 (Copy/Paste?). Of course, your contribution would not be possible without Vitaily's PTOOL and cbrandin's, and so many others who contribute to this great effort.