Personal View site logo
PTool 3.61d topic
  • 352 Replies sorted by
  • I have a problem in fcp7, log and transfer didnt accept the AVCHD, and i get an error about the unsupported file structure (i save the hole card), didnt have that problem before the hack,
    i filmed in 24H, anyone else encountered that problem?
  • I have a solution for you! AVID.
  • @Hilltop I just used the suggested values that appear in the ptools pop up. Just click on a setting to see the popup (see screenshot attached).
    Aside from changing my Japanese camera to English, I changed 4 settings:
    AVCHD Compression>Video Bitrate FSH/SH
    AVCHD Compression>Video Bitrate FH/H
    AVCHD Compression>Video Bitrate 24H
    AVCHD Compression>Video Bitrate 24L
    Screen shot 2011-07-22 at 9.32.58 AM.png
    611 x 385 - 64K
  • @Ulisse
    I don't see any pulsing using the 42/35/42/35 settings. Perhaps your card is on the edge of not being fast enough? I am using Transcend Class 10 32Gb SD cards, work great with never any dropped frames (except for my GH13 when pushed too far, now sold that camera)
  • @shrigg nice thanks, will start on this tomorrow.

Any setting for anamorphic viewing?
  • @Vitaliy - Well if your going too re-programme a GH2 then you gotta be smart and basically know what ya doing. Well I hope too see the GH2 Hack develop to a point were the GH2 is as good as a 10K camera. In software repects.
  • I did run two more tests and also analysed the previus ones.

[Information]
    Comment=SD_Card Sandisk ultra 16GB
    [Settings]
    Version increment=1
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=24000000
    Video Bitrate 24H=32000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=24000000
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=16368
    SD_Card=Any
    Camera=GH2 v1.0E
    [Settings]
    Version increment=1
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=24000000
    Video Bitrate 24H=32000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=24000000You
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=Tests: Unchecked, 16368

24H in some shots shows 1-3 frames blury. Then bitrate around or over 32mbits. Picture looks good.
    25L including my previus and current tests including 24 Low Bottom Setting unchecked running around 15mbits where you can see some artifacts in the leaves. All tests today, my previus test and this was leaves in trees in an windy place shot with shutterspeed 400-500 to challange the codec.
  • Thank you for the hack, it's a great piece of work.

Following on from the PS3/VLC playback errors, there is a similar problem when editing with Edius 6.

Edius seems to "choke" on any GH2 .mts file which has the initial low bitrate problem. By choke I mean it will take a very long time whenever you do something with the clip, for example load it, mark in/out, scrub, add it to the timeline, or try to play it. Additionally, trying to alt-tab back into Edius with those clips loaded results in a huge waiting time.

I shot some clips with Video Bitrate 24H set to 32000000 (and 24L set to 24000000), which doesn't produce the low bitrate "blip", and Edius copes with these fine.

The only difference in Edius between the normal clips and the low bitrate "blip" clips is the reported Video Bitrate Max/Average.

With the 32000000 24H clips this is accurate (31.6Mbps).

However, when using the recommended values of 42000000 and 35000000, which will produce the "blip", both the max and average values are reported at 4269.3Mbps (decimal point is correct) - this value is consistent with every clip. Edius really struggles with these clips.

Not sure if that will help at all, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Thanks again for the hard work!
  • I did many tests for the last days (only in 1080i50 and 720p50 mode), and there are some things I don't understand:
    Starting with only the recommended user bitrate patches (42/35), i get always a bad GOP structure after some time. Mostly at ca. 60s, in different scenes.
    At 720p50, after that time, it's every 2. GOP starting with low p-frames, raising up to normal to the middle of the GOP, rest is ok, next GOP is ok, 3. Gop has absolutly! the same structure as the 2. previous. (like compression values stop to change but are saved somewhere for 2 GOPs). This problem is down to pair 26/20Mbps, only 24/18 works without problems. It´s the same on tripod (static) as on moving scenes.
    For 1080i50 it`s a littlebit different. Highres, wideangle static scenes on tripod are no problem at 32Mbit, but if it comes to motion, I-frames are sometimes small and the rest is freaking arround. Also i get this "missing picture" or "1. after 2. picture" effect. I don't know how it's called, but it looks terrible. But GH2 is able to repair this after some secs, on GH1, if it happend, it was until end of recording. I see the same sometimes in news, hoping somebody tell them to not go on air with such a shit.
    Is this a general problem of AVCHD codec?
    But back to 1080i, the really stable setting is also 24Mbps, it seams like the encoder has enough "air" to do the right decitions.
    My test pattern is (not for static) starting at 28mm, trees and houses, raising up to 280mm trees, going back to 28 while moving inside to flowers, zooming up again in low light and ending with a high detailed chair in 28. Always in IA mode, because i think that's where the camera has most to do. Static tests are on tripod with gras or trees on 28 with f8-11 at manuel mode.

GOP 12 eleminates the problem on higher bitrates at 720p, but it kills the "video" look.
    Gop 6 at 1080i is a catastrophe, GH13 at 25p is much better.
    GOP 1 is nothing to say a word about, sorry.

Never forget we try a video mode, it's not a contest of best stills...

If I'm completly wrong, please tell me, but that's my conclution from testing right now.

What makes me more happy is what vitaliy does with cbrandlin in quatization.
    And i hope, to give all PAL users, like me, a good sleep, maybe 1080P50 will be possible sometimes (with this camera). :-)
  • Hi there,

I have 2 simple questions. Once I install PTools and then enable the all language hack, how do I then change the Japanese menu languages in English? Does anyone know where it is in the menu system?

Also what are the settings for the stable 42mb 1080p 24fps?

Thanks
  • @JamesRitson
    Mac FTW ;)
    I'd covert the files for now, when working with the .mts
    then once we get some solid patches start working with the originals.
  • >how do I then change the Japanese menu languages in English? Does anyone know where it is in the menu system?

Look at settings tab. You'll find new icon with head and bubble, after this just select your preferred language.
  • Is there anyway to see what settings I set? Iforgot to note it, I think I set 32 and 28 and they are super stable, no blip no difference in o/p from 42 and always over 30m(32typical)in 1080i/24 p and over 24m in 720p, big improvement all round, nice. Messing with gop caused big issue in1080i,
  • @shrigg, i don't think the pulsing and block on the image is caused from slow card speed, in my experience when the card is really to slow the camera give a message and freeze occur.
    In 24L > 32000000 all is ok.
    Card speed problem occur in FSH at 42000000.
  • 1080i/72050 34mb, very nice, huge improve.
  • Sorry for this is not recommended testing, but I did some more footage today at Video Bitrate FSH/SH=32000000 FH/H=24000000, nothing else checked.
    I got the same missing/very small b/p-frames in 1080i50 and p-frames in 720p50 at avery 2. GOP as I wrote yesterday. To say every 2. GOP looks like a stairway with small i/p-frame at the start and bigger p-frames to the end.
    Looking at the Time where the Problem starts, I think its at the Moment i begin to zoom up from 14mm with the 14-140 Kit Lens.
    Is it possible that there is not enough CPU Power for the Encoder at this time?
    If this begins, the last p-frame of the last unbroken GOP is very high (>29Mbits), followed by a small i-frame.
  • with the 32mbit settings I get 2 seconds of strong macroblocking then a good file with 32Mbit avg bitrate. Nothing else checked. Using manual lenses at 50 shutter.
  • OK, I need to know if I'm seeing a problem.

I wanted to go back to original firmware. I loaded Ptool with the original firmware and checked version increment only. I saved and loaded the BIN file onto the camera. Now I see strange codec breakup after fast pans that end on high detailed scenes. I've never seen this before. I see it on VLC, WMP and Splash players.

Can anyone recreate the issue?

EDIT:

I've reloaded the firmware 3 times. The 2nd time I got the same problem. The 3rd time, I can't seem to make the problem happen again. Very strange.
  • @svart try flashing the firmware file without going through Ptool. This may help uncover a possible bug... Al
  • problem is that once you hack, you have to use version increments. It does not allow you to load the original without it so you have to go through ptool.

But I also don't know if it's something I did somehow or not. That's why I need someone else to try to recreate or at least look for it.
  • i just tried ptool for the first time with the ex tele hack. It didn't work until I hit record, then the camera would become unresponsive, and wouldn't allow me to turn it off. Once I took the battery out things went back to normal but no file was recorded.
  • I'd say for all of you having playback problems, get latest version of your codecs, solved most of the problems I had with vlc. Using 42mbps 3GOP. Also, premiere had always played files fine. Of course first second blip still ocurring.

I noticed that noise remains consistent trhough ISOs, so 3200 is not a bad choice anymore for low light situations. Very filmy like grain.
  • @kinoglass

Can you give us your settings in 42 MB? Thanks
  • Today played with patches that enable sound in variable modes (80%, 160%, etc).
    I can enable sound, but to make it actually work significant changes in encoders is required (encoder must actually know that it is 8fps, and not think that this is 24fps as it is today).
    As I think, current approach won't work.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions